Index ⇒ Console FPS Games ⇒ duke for sega genesis

All topics relating to non-PC first-person shooters go here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

duke for sega genesis

Postby duke_link » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:18 am

this is a unofficial version of the duke nukem adapted for the sega genesis
in my opinion very bad

you can dowload here the rom and emulator

http://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/49454 ... kem3d.html
duke_link

Re: duke for sega genesis

Postby Sikk » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:48 pm

Not just bad, Duke Nuke Forever bad.... :P
Sikk

Postby BR4ZIL » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:12 pm

Fun facts about this port:

-It was made by a brazilian game development team TecToy, it was ACTUALLY done under license of 3d realms. People seem to think that it was unofficial for some reason, but 3d realms confirmed years ago that it was indeed a small cheap project licensing they made.

-The port was based on an early build of duke (around the same time as "Lameduke" version), and it has a complete set of unique levels. The levels are based exclusively around the Lunar Apocalipse episode, but difer 100% from the ones in the final game or Lameduke.

-There are a couple of things only present in this version of the game that were originally intended for the final game but got scrapped, like the space suit (a simple decorative object in normal game) has a use in this, when go out into the moon, you have to use it like as if it was the scuba gear. Another fun thing is the plasma gun from Lameduke getting another appearance as a secret weapon.

-The sega genesis was really never going to be able to run Duke3d properly, to me the game is an interesting piece of software just for that, to see how devs can come up with ways to "demake" a game, same with Wolf3d for the SNES.

I honestly have no idea why and how this port got made, i suppose duke3d was so famous 3drealms thought they could squeeze a bit more money out of it by doing a cheap ass job out of it (i am betting TecToy didint received much out of that deal, considering the quality of the port + the fact nobody owned a Sega Genesis in brazil & it was a dying console already.
BR4ZIL

The following user would like to thank BR4ZIL for this post
Meddle, user43687

Postby BR4ZIL » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:36 am

Btw, a bit of an update on this (if anybody will actually care to read it)

I was wrong in my last post, Brazil was a goldmine for Sega Genesis and Master System users, the Genesis sold really well here and outdid Nintendo. This was back when Brazil was under military dictatorship and we had an blockade on foreign technology. TecToy was one of the very few companies that had permission from the governament to sell Sega consoles and technology, they managed to get a unique contract with Sega, allowing them to even legally manufacture Sega Master System clones.

TecToy was also the pioneer in brazilian videogame making, with most of their games being legally done mods (or hacks) of other existing games, taking known brazilian characters (like the Monica comics or Chaves (popular funny mexican sitcom that was more popular here in brazil than in mexico)). Its akin to what the old console games did with their US localizations.

Duke Nukem 3d for the Genesis was done under contract with GT Interactive, not 3dRealms and required huge efforts from the dev team to get it working on the limited hardware. The devs worked previously on Phantasy Star's brazilian translation and with that they were able to... reverse some code and know tricks to get proper 3d working on Duke Nukem.

Here's a video interview with TecToy's CEO (at the time, he was one of the lead programmers):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VueUScwNakA

Another interesting fact is that Brazil was producing Master System games even up until 1998, way... way past the system's hay day, you can check them on the wiki by listing them by date:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_M ... stem_games

Anyway, just wanted to share this info with you guys, i had to do a presentation on the history of brazilian game development at college a year or so ago and managed to uncover alot of info on this whole thing, most of it is seemly forgotten even by enthusiasts of my country =(
BR4ZIL

The following user would like to thank BR4ZIL for this post
Meddle

Return to Console FPS Games