Index ⇒ Games Support ⇒ Red Faction: Stops responding after 1-2 minutes.

Trouble playing a game? Game not running well? Ask help here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Red Faction: Stops responding after 1-2 minutes.

Postby Rekrul » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:51 am

I didn't download Red Faction from here, I have an original of it that I bought used for $2 a while ago. I'm asking here because I'm hoping someone might have encountered this problem before and will know how to solve it. I've asked on other sites and even emailed the company, but nobody has any clue why this happens.

I installed the game under Windows 98SE. I've tried it with and without the latest official patch and the same thing happens with both. The game starts up fine, the main menu appears with the background animated under it. Within 1-2 minutes of loading the game, it stops responding to the keyboard and to the mouse buttons. It doesn't crash and it still responds to mouse movement, but not the buttons or the keyboard.

If I start a game, it works for a few seconds, then goes off into limbo. I can still pan the view with the mouse, but I can't move or shoot. Also, if I was pressing a key at the instant it went into limbo, it continues to think that key is still pressed. In other words, if I was moving forward, I will continue to move forward forever. The only way out is to hit the reset button on my system.

I installed this same copy on someone else's XP system and it plays perfectly fine. I'd blame the OS, except that 98 is listed as the minimum required OS, and while searching the net, I came across a forum where an XP owner was having the same problem. Nobody had any answers for him either.

My system: 1.8Ghz CPU, Windows 98SE, GeForce4 MX440 video card, onboard Intel sound, 512MB RAM.
Rekrul

Re: Red Faction: Stops responding after 1-2 minutes.

Postby freakboy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:54 pm

Could be a program interfering with the game. Red Faction doesnt like if something goes in the foreground. Try getting rid of them.
freakboy

Postby InsaneFury » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:42 pm

I had a similar issue with Battlefield 2, and it turned out to be some background process related to my video driver (ati). If you have an ATI card, kill any ati process you see with Taskmanager & perhaps that will work.

InsaneFury
3DSL Moderator

Postby Rekrul » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:44 pm

InsaneFury wrote:I had a similar issue with Battlefield 2, and it turned out to be some background process related to my video driver (ati). If you have an ATI card, kill any ati process you see with Taskmanager & perhaps that will work.

I have an Nvidia card and I've tried running Red Faction with nothing else loaded, other than what's required to boot up my system. In other words, I didn't have any programs loaded, any background utilities, etc. On the XP system there's a ton of junk loaded by default (the owner bought it from Dell) and RF still works.
Rekrul

Postby freakboy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:57 am

Guess what, your version of windows is not supported:
Code: Select all
http://www.3dgamers.com/news/more/1000515353/
Minimum Requirements
-----------------------

The Red Faction Worldwide Demo has the following minimum requirements:

Windows 95/98/ME compatible computer system with DirectX 8
Pentium II or K6-2 400 Mhz Processor
3D Graphics Accelerator Card with 8 MB of VRAM
64 MB RAM
4x CD-ROM
155 MB of free Hard Drive Space
DirectX certified sound card
100% Microsoft compatible mouse and keyboard
This is the demo requirements, I dont have this game near so I am not sure, but its quite possible that the full version requirements are the same.
freakboy

Postby I_AM » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:35 pm

freakboy wrote:Guess what, your version of windows is not supported

You're suggesting those requirements mean it doesn't support Windows 98 SE ?
If that's what you mean you're just talking nonsense as it obviously would include SE :/
"Archimedes Elite, regarded by many as the best ever version." - Ian Bell, co-author of Elite
I_AM

Postby freakboy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:07 pm

I_AM wrote:You're suggesting those requirements mean it doesn't support Windows 98 SE ?
If that's what you mean you're just talking nonsense as it obviously would include SE :/
Well it obviously says windows 98 SE not supported. Just like WinVista nowdays.
freakboy

Postby I_AM » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:23 pm

Where exactly does it say that ? You just don't know what you're talking about :/
The requirements never specifically state 98SE, they'll just say 95/98/2000 or some such.
And another thing.. you do know Windows ME was newer than Windows 98SE right ?
"Archimedes Elite, regarded by many as the best ever version." - Ian Bell, co-author of Elite
I_AM

Postby freakboy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:26 pm

Well, maybe.
Anyways try deleting all .bik videos, try applying the latest patch and the latest crack for it.
freakboy

Return to Games Support