Index ⇒ Games Support ⇒ Crime Patrol problem starting Training location

Trouble playing a game? Game not running well? Ask help here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Crime Patrol problem starting Training location

Postby guardsman » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:48 am

Hi. I tried both versions of Crime Patrol -> http://www.legendsworld.net/adventure/game/3038 and in each version, I am having a problem playing the Training location, the very first location in the game.

I first mounted the image with Daemon Tools. When Crime Patrol starts, an Intro movie plays, followed by a Location Selection movie (A voice says "Shoot to choose a location"). I shot at the Training location (The first location on the left side of the screen) and the Main menu appears. In the Main menu, I shot at the "Play" option and a Level Selection menu appears (The options are "Rookie" and "Captain") I shot at "Rookie". Afterwards, the Location Selection movie appears again. When I shot at the Training location again, the Training location appears to be loading - I see a row of bullets and a Gray background with horizontal white lines. However a few seconds later, the movie flashes and then the Location Selection movie appears once more but this time, it flashes as well. When I shoot at the Training location once more, the cycle is repeated - I see a row of bullets and a Gray background with horizontal white lines which all flash followed by the flashing Location Selection movie.

I tried to play the Training location using the above steps with the "Captain" level instead of the "Rookie" level but still got the same results (Interesting note: Even though I selected the "Captain" level, the Location Selection movie has "Rookie" displayed on the top middle portion - Is this a goof or "corner cutting" on the part of American Laser or is there a missing Location Selection movie for the "Captain" level?). I was able to sort of play the other locations (I shot at the bad guys as soon as they appeared, but the game doesn't seem to register my shots (mouse clicks) and I kept on getting killed (I've played the other American Laser/Digital Leisure CD titles before so I know this isn't normal). I further investigated the problem by trying to play all of the mpg movies on the image using Windows Media Player. I was able to play all of the movies in Media Player including the Training location movie, \Rookie\Practice\practice.mpg. As a final test, I copied all of the files from the image into a subdirectory on my HD and ran it from my HD but got the same bad results.
:x

I'm not sure but I think that both posted versions of Crime Patrol are nuked (Copy protection?) or corrupted (Bad copy?). Does anyone have the same problem trying to play the Training level using either posted versions? If so, can someone please post a 100% working copy? Any help that can be offered would be appreciated. Thanks!
:( :thanks:
guardsman

Re: Crime Patrol problem starting Training location

Postby loki1985 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:22 pm

VfW (video for windows) bug probably. behaves different on my machine: training starts, targets are shown, but playback seems to be reporting the frame progression wrong.
probably not playable on modern machines / modern windows versions.
loki1985

The following user would like to thank loki1985 for this post
guardsman

Postby guardsman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:02 am

Thanks for replying, loki1985.
:)

Ah, I remember the same bug that happened with the intro movie for Star Trek: Birth of the Federation. I remember that the intro for BOTF played fine on my old Win98 machine but when I installed WinXP, it never played again. The game would always just jump straight into the main menu after I started it. Fortunately for BOTF, there were enough fans that someone made a patch to fix that problem. I guess we need to wait for the American Laser/Digital Leisure games fan base to grow large enough so that someone out there will make a patch for this bug in Crime Patrol (Digital Leisure avoids having to do it by saying that their games are not supported under Windows XP!).
:roll:
guardsman

Postby loki1985 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:08 pm

IIRC, it worked OK under XP.

you using windows vista or 7 ? because i tested on 7.
maybe try XP mode, or setup a XP/98 in Virtual PC / VirtualBox.
loki1985

The following user would like to thank loki1985 for this post
guardsman

Postby guardsman » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:49 am

Arrgh! I replied just before the server crash that happened a few days ago and it looks like my reply wasn't backed up before the server farted! Oh well...
:lol:

I'm running Windows XP SP3 on an old P4 3.4GHz with 4GB of DDR2 RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 4850 with 1GB DDR3. I have the K-Lite codecs pack installed. That configuration should be more than enough to run this old school game. I had even reinstalled the K-Lite codecs pack to rule out a corrupt video codec but still got the same results.
:x

May I ask what video codecs do you have installed on your machine? Perhaps I need to install a codec that's not part of the K-Lite codecs pack. Thanks!
:huh:
guardsman

Postby vibn » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:38 am

I have Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. And such a game, for example, Crime Patrol 2: Drug Wars on one computer works and on the other does not work - there is a sound but the movie does not play and you can not choose anything. The operating system is the same ... I do not know why the other computer does not work. Maybe someone knows why the other computer is not playing a movie in the game?
vibn

Return to Games Support