Index ⇒ Games Support ⇒ Need help with Chameleon crck  Topic is solved

Trouble playing a game? Game not running well? Ask help here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Re: Need help with Chameleon crck

Postby annoyment » Sat May 06, 2017 10:51 pm

Install DirectX from game disc, if that fails get the latest DX9 redist from M$. Then after install of both game and DX overwrite game's Program Files with my Beta 2, as in crk. Then (for yer Polish version) add the files from this post in the same place - those files contain all the game's text (in language of the localization obtained) and are yanked out from the dreaded StarForce DRM by glorious RhymeKidder, praise him for re-enabling Poles in reminiscing this unpolished gem. Would have to repackage the crk with these files and finalize the thing sooner or later (along with adding proper credits, gotta see into that with mods, along with properly testing the CZ clone), thanks for reminding :(
Verify and notify if win or fail (with screens if needed), and good luck :up:
Windows is shutting down
"Hellos, plz help with this, will help backward." -Wimpy
annoyment

Postby alecanto » Sun May 07, 2017 5:17 am

First of all, thanks for the quick response and all the work everyone here has put in to make this even possible. I am determined to find the solution and feel like it's right in front of me :) It literally starts up just fine with the steps listed above on my old laptop, but does not work on my sweet gaming rig, so I know it's something with DX9 because I'll I get is a log text file in the game folder saying 'error - do not have DX 8.1 or higher'. The laptop is Windows 10 also but does not have that stupid Creators update, I will try resetting to previous version and than trying the process again on my rig. But as far as the DX9 redists, I think I have the file but no real guidance on where to extract it too. Could you help me with that?

Thanks again.
alecanto

Postby annoyment » Sun May 07, 2017 6:53 am

Y, it is very recommended to install even older DirectX redists, in that case grab this package, start the setup and let it finish, it'll cover almost all of the old DX versions right up to the last 9.0c update. Next up :google: for StarForce driver remover, since the crk solution in me previous reply is tested correctly working for the Polish release, and also due to StarForce itself being known for its shenanigans (plus its earlier versions, including the build in this title, no longer work on W10, EOL'd by SF themselves). Alternatively change the title's compatibility settings - albeit wasn't needed in my playthrough (POS Compaq laptop with Intel integrated atrocious GPU). Just gonna hopefully presume ye don't have an nVidia card :x
If this reply's solutions also turn out unsuccessful please provide yer new rig's specs and any possible colluding utility software (antivirus, widgets, CPU and game "enhancers" etc.) in yer following reply (although Chameleon is very compatible 'cause LS3D, the engine used by Mafia and H&D2, if ye played those on the same rig please note)...
Windows is shutting down
annoyment

Postby alecanto » Sun May 07, 2017 7:11 am

I have a GTX 1070... well that explains it, so I'm pretty much out of luck then?
alecanto

Postby annoyment » Sun May 07, 2017 7:31 am

Doesn't exclusively mean that, don't give up hope that easily, just do ALL the solutions on me replies written until the game starts successfully, you'll gain a far better insight on the issue while doing all that. If afterwards Chameleon still hasn't budged ye might wanna talk to hfric, our moderator and residential gamer/opinion writer/nVidia sufferer (no offense mate :D )...
Last edited by annoyment on Sun May 07, 2017 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
annoyment

Postby alecanto » Sun May 07, 2017 3:49 pm

It works on a laptop, which has Intel Graphics, Windows 10, and DirectX 12. But not on my rig, even when switching to Intel Graphics, and it also has Windows 10 and DirectX 12. I did the exact same process for both: install game, copy over crack, and than English update. I guess it is just a matter of finding older graphics drivers? Or maybe something from the laptop that I can just copy over? The laptop is my bro's so that's why I need it on my rig LOL :D
alecanto

Postby annoyment » Sun May 07, 2017 6:57 pm

If the error is DirectX related then install DirectX from given link! Having 12 (or even knowing of the number) is worth jack squat if there are no drivers, always install all redists (that isn't DRM) a title requires by using the setups given on disc/package. No exceptions!

**Yo man , stop it - edited by hfric**

Please provide statuses on applying all recommendations provided (as support has been given, please don't ignore :? ) and the overall current status of the issue in greatest detail possible (and screens, can't be stressed enough) on what yer rig is doing when Chameleon is started and please don't return until ye collect enough info that we can "work our holiday off" and publish it in the following reply! Thank you for the effort in return :!:
Windows is shutting down
annoyment

Postby hfric » Sun May 07, 2017 7:19 pm

Your missing Direct-X 8.1 amd Direct-X 9c mate ... just use this

@annoyment
he Pm'ed me with the details of this PC configuration :
Win10
GF 1070 GTX
i7-7700K with intel HD Graphics 630

and he has a "error - you do not have Direct X version 8.1 or above"" ... he has no old Direct files, on his Win10 PC , that only has DX12 ... that does not emulate old DX api
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby alecanto » Sun May 07, 2017 7:52 pm

This is the Polish CD, with the CHMLN.BOTU2.CRK files applied, and than the English Update 1.3 applied as well.

On gaming rig (this is using both discrete Nvidia or integrated Intel Gpus, same story either way): Got the DX redists (thanks for that) , ran DX setup and checked windows/system32 folder to make sure they did get copied over. I still get this text file in the Chameleon folder and game does not start:

On the laptop (uses Intel Gpu) , without downloading any redists, I get this text file and game starts successfully:

(Both laptop and gaming rig have Windows 10 and DX 12)

Also I do have Mafia 2 from Steam and it works flawless, thought I should add since I know it's a similar engine. Have a copy of Hidden & Dangerous 2 so I'll be trying that out too( have CD and GOG versions so I'm just figuring out which one to use). I love playing older games on modern rigs, they run so smooth and usually have far better game play than the newer titles. I can just tell by watching game play of this one that all this BS will be worth it.
alecanto

Re: Need help with Chameleon crck  Topic is solved

Postby hfric » Sun May 07, 2017 10:41 pm

in simple steps how this game should work :
1. get the polish version
2. install those 3 cds
3.copy over those files to the install directory
4. then copy this file
5. delete Protect.exe , Protect.dat Protect.dll (if you run this game on this step , you will get a blank screen)
6 and then use the 1.4 patch that i made
7. then setup the game by using Setup.exe with the added picture (dont run ChameleonSetup.exe it deinstalls the game) this setup picture only functions as a translation for those that dont know Russian
8.run Chameleon.exe as Admin
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby alecanto » Mon May 08, 2017 12:00 am

Thank you for those instructions, I hadn't seen some of those steps previously. I uninstalled everything and followed those exact steps, but still get the same result and same text file. I can also confirm the EXACT same problem when I try to play my CD copy of Hidden and Dangerous 2.

I posted a thread over on the hidden-and-dangerous.net forums as well.

Atleast we're getting somewhere.
alecanto

Postby alecanto » Mon May 08, 2017 1:06 am

And then I found my solution:
https://www.gog.com/forum/hidden_dangerous_series/hd_2_wont_start_try_this

It works for H&D 2 and Chameleon, thank you all for the help! Time to check this baby out :D The subtitles are not english, Russian I believe, but I do not care and will try to pick up some of the language :D
alecanto

Postby hfric » Mon May 08, 2017 1:25 am

I have my windows 10 version so cut without any telemetry traces , no Coratana AI that snoops and steals your data , no Drm , no Metro interface Gui and other custom changes its kinda like a new OS in-itself... then win10 MS pushes to the sheep people
Code: Select all
 if the game fail to start on Windows 8 or 10, it can be a Direct Play problem.

Go on Programs and Features and click on "Turn Windows features on or off" (on the left), then go to "Legacy components", double click it, check the Direct Play checkbox and click Ok.

So looks like you had the Legacy option turned off that made you use old Api ... aka use older Drivers and Directx versions ... by the way Win10 compatibility mode would also turn on this but only for this aplication when you would set a profile for it... right click >troubleshot compatibility

and by the way you can setup Chameleon anyway you like , this setup picture only functions as a translation for those that dont know Russian
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby hfric » Mon May 08, 2017 1:36 am

alecanto wrote: The subtitles are not english, Russian I believe, but I do not care and will try to pick up some of the language :D
you got the 1.3 patch ... the 1.4 patch has all files translated
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby alecanto » Mon May 08, 2017 3:01 am

It was actually only the first cut-scene, after that it has been english, or it may have been because I switched the subtitles off then back on. I have to say, this game looks stunning in 1080p and with all the graphic settings enabled. The lighting really stands out even in the early missions. And the blood effects are some of the best I've seen in a game, period. The music is great too. True Splinter Cell-like stealth game-play with 1st-person shooting as well? Are you kidding? This could have won GOTYs. Why was this not given a proper release? Now that is the question we have to answer.
alecanto

PreviousNext

Return to Games Support