Index ⇒ Games Support ⇒ Aliens vs Predator 2010 crashes to Desktop

Trouble playing a game? Game not running well? Ask help here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Aliens vs Predator 2010 crashes to Desktop

Postby GonnaHaveMeSumFun » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:12 pm

I've been having crashes at the same spots in the same first mission for each species. I already applied the latest drivers and as well as the update patches from Dox.rar, and I am on Windows 10 Pro. Any other ideas what's going on or if there is anything else I can do to fix this?

It always crashes shortly after the following parts of the mission for each species and I get the rror message above.

I tried both the regular AvP.exe Directx9 version and the DirectX11 version AvP_DX11.exe and still get the same results. Also re-mounted the iso and reinstalled the game yesterday, but I still got the same results. Even tried restarting the game and see if the crash occurs exactly in the same spots.

UPDATE: I'm currently in the progress of re-updating the drivers. Have tried various other methods such as changing the Audio Sampling rate as suggested by other sites to 48 KHz or less. Have also tried Alt+Tab and bringing up the Task Manager to set either AvP.exe or AvP_DX11.exe to Normal priority.
Last edited by GonnaHaveMeSumFun on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GonnaHaveMeSumFun

Re: Aliens vs Predator 2010 crashes

Postby GonnaHaveMeSumFun » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:54 pm

I even re-launched and re-installed the 2 files in the redist folder for the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package and DirectX packages (think they were for DirectX 9, so I don't know), but it didn't change the results and the same exact crashes occur. I even get crashes after a while when playing the Single Player Survivor mode, so I really have no idea what else could be causing the problem. Maybe I can try disabling other stuff that loaded up at startup and see if that helps.

Maybe Egon68 may have some ideas since he upped this one, since I am stumped.

I'm on Windows 10 64-bit, and currently have a nVidia GeForce GTX 980M, although I don't know if that makes much of a difference. Maybe I should try rolling back to older drivers also and see if that helps to get around those crashes that occur shortly after the points on those single player campaigns.
GonnaHaveMeSumFun

Re: Aliens vs Predator 2010 crashes to Desktop

Postby GonnaHaveMeSumFun » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:43 pm

Quick update:

It appears that the executables from the Skidrow Update #3 worked stably without any crashes. So I really don't know, maybe there had been a bad release of the Skidrow Updates 4 to 6 or that they never got around to fixing any of the crashing problems.

From what I've tested, I used a profile that had fully unlocked all of the missions and I just skipped straight to mission 2 since the elevator crashes could not be resolved via many methods that I had previously tried. It still had a consistent crash point on the second Mission when I was trying to complete the level by activating a switch.

After I changed out the Skidrow Updates #4 through 6 with Update #3 I was then I was able to complete the entire Marine's single player campaign without any crashes to desktop. I still had some graphical errors noticeable when I look at the sky, but for now I really don't care since I'm satisfied enough that I was able to complete the Marine's campaign.

Although I had skipped the rest of the first level and went straight to Mission 2 when I had applied the pre-unlocked mission profile. Therefore, I will go back and re-test the entire first mission and see if the game still crashes when I enter the elevator.

I've yet to test the entire campaigns for Alien and Predator.
GonnaHaveMeSumFun

The following user would like to thank GonnaHaveMeSumFun for this post
Scaryfun

Re: Aliens vs Predator 2010 crashes to Desktop

Postby GonnaHaveMeSumFun » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:15 am

I guess not many or nobody really plays this game or feel interested in Alien games anymore around here, but that's alright.

I kind of had expected it after the mess things had become in the past decade or so with the way Fox, Sega, Rebellion, Gearbox had treated the franchise and the way they made and barely supported their games, and not to mention those terrible and unnecessary AvP movies I can pretty much understand why as all those factors caused quite some real bad publicity and negativity toward ANYTHING relevant to those franchises.

I would have to believe that it is HOW those companies had treated their franchises and their respective fanbases and community that had drove fans to give up and call it quits or distant themselves and don't even want to touch or look at anything relevant to them ever again because of all of the let down and repeated disappointments their loyal fans and customers had felt.

So I guess I was not surprised that no one tested the iso and see if they got the same issue and see if they ever found a workaround. But no worries, it had all been sorted out by me in the past week or so by myself.

This is a another update, and possibly the final one relevant to the problem I had experienced.

I asked around elsewhere and got a more complete set of patches for Update 6 and found one that seemed to have fix the issue:

Code: Select all
http://www120.zippyshare.com/v/f6YMyRNJ/file.html

Code: Select all
Use the files from the the sub-folder "LumaCEG + SKIDROW" in the Cracks folder

This worked for me now. I had been able to complete all of the campaigns and haven't had any noticeable consistent crashing to desktop anymore. No more "hall of mirrors" graphical errors or bugs when I look at the sky.

After I was completely done with the campaigns, I believed that this game had been rushed out to retail and/or that it's development must really had a tight deadline or budget.

I think it really had so much potential, and the content for Single Player and "Survivor" mode was just really short and limited. :-x

There's really No real replay value that is unless you want "Achievements" (or enjoy Competitive Multiplayer games), as the only thing you are going to be able to unlock are Audio Logs for the Marine, and even that has no effect on gameplay, it's just really additional fillers for the game's plot. At least the original 1999/2000 AvP game had more stuff to Unlock in the game and the unlockable stuff in those previous AvP games actually affect the gameplay. And I'm trying to be fair since Rebellion had made that game as well as the 2010 version.

I also know that there are also "Unlockable" player skins, but they are ONLY accessible for Multiplayer games and also have absolutely NO effect on gameplay either. :cry:

I've yet to test any of the Multiplayer games until I figure out how and if Offline LAN works through the tunngle client.

Coming from an AvP fan such as myself, I felt that it's such a damn shame that there are no mod tools, no custom map editor or tools, way too little maps, and a very limited and inflexible Co-op mode. It just seems like Rebellion likes to focus Way Too Much on "competitive" multiplayer modes. :( :-x

But on the bright side, I have to say one thing. At least Rebellion actually DEVELOPED their game and not OUTSOURCE majority of the development like Gearbox had with their Aliens Colonial Marines game.

Just my 2 cents.
GonnaHaveMeSumFun

The following user would like to thank GonnaHaveMeSumFun for this post
Fedmor El, Meddle

Return to Games Support