Index ⇒ Games Support ⇒ Turok Evolution save corruption and controls

Trouble playing a game? Game not running well? Ask help here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Turok Evolution save corruption and controls

Postby Ghost81 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:36 pm

Ok, I know this game sucks, so I don't expect anyone to care, but in the off chance someone knows the solution...

I'm having issues with both remapping controls and saving the game, basically the game manages to save mouse speed and invert look, but anything done via the control remapper external app that opens when you select "conrtrol options" is lost as soon as you click OK. I've tried going into the files and making the configuration files read/write (they were read-only by default), but no luck.

Also, the game corrupts saves at random: the profile is visible, but when trying to load it fails. I've already tried XP compatibility, but it didn't help.

Any ideas? I can live with the shitty default controls, but the save thing is a real bummer.

Thanks!
Ghost81
Advanced Member

Re: Turok Evolution save corruption and controls

Postby hfric » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:14 pm

:huh: never experienced any of your problems , but then again i played from original Cds ... but it leads me to four conclusions : ram problems , Hdd fragmentation ,Hdd is about to die

or your running that workaround "crack" for securom by deviance, that liked to crash the game by random ... and corrupt saves ... and was never nuked ... (same could have been said about Scareface , when the clone version worked 40x better then the cracked version ... ehm work around crack)

so get the PS2 version and run it though a emulator... the PC version is a horrible port (from missing textures , to music , to videos) and is praised by the console nation for the longest FPS to date (second place takes TimeShift)
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby Ghost81 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:41 am

Hmm... I'm using the crack that came with the version here on 3DSL, not sure if that's the one you're thinking of.
Ghost81
Advanced Member

Postby hfric » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:53 pm

its the only scene workaround that was for this game ... that in its broken way made you play this game ... thats why the clone is here
so play with the clone any new DT can emulate the DRM now ... but i recomend playing the PS2 version (or Xbox 1 ) the PC is a horrible port with so many things missing you could compare it to todays Disastrous Batman: Arkham Knight PC port
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby Ghost81 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:20 pm

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Not as bad as the Xbox 360/PS3 Turok reboot though haha.
Ghost81
Advanced Member

Postby annoyment » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:45 pm

PS2 - have the game for this platform (looks okay enough in spite of downgrading backlash), honestly tried playing with twin analogs, almost got pwnt by compys, FPS on gamepad seems like a handicap to me :(
XBOX - emulation status is still pretty low AFAIK, and also like these almost never existed here...
GameCube - Dolphin is best IMO
PC - if hfric says DEViANCE blew it, then too bad, there is a SecuROM generic "patcher/hider" @ GameCopyWorld (up to 6.0), the latest version should work, dunno what's the status on unwrappers/unpackers (only heard of UnSecurom), nor if the new DLL solutions (virusek, catspaw) can also do the job :huh:
That's all I know, good luck mate :)
Windows is shutting down
"Hellos, plz help with this, will help backward." -Wimpy
annoyment

Postby hfric » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:03 am

Ghost81 wrote:Yeah, it's pretty bad. Not as bad as the Xbox 360/PS3 Turok reboot though haha.
that turok reboot was great ... i liked it (and a little know tidbit , it was made by Disney ... yeah that Mickey disney ) ... people only complained about the last Trex boss that was kinda ... hard (it was a awful bullet sponge) , but in my book it was a OK game (even bought this game for PS3)... too bad new that the second part was axed when Disney closed its game studios, and now licenses its Ips to third parties

but if your saying the PC port of the reboot of turok was bad ... well it was ... from like 10x larger size (sound files where 10x bigger , same with movies).... it was bigger (20gigs, compared to 7gig from consoles) but still had the same quality as on consoles , it was :lol: , like in StrangleHold they padded the game making it 10x bigger ... when the size of the game wanted to be its DRM :lol: (pc games at that time where from 700mb to 2 gigs)
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby Ghost81 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:52 am

hfric wrote:
Ghost81 wrote:Yeah, it's pretty bad. Not as bad as the Xbox 360/PS3 Turok reboot though haha.
that turok reboot was great ... i liked it (and a little know tidbit , it was made by Disney ... yeah that Mickey disney ) ... people only complained about the last Trex boss that was kinda ... hard (it was a awful bullet sponge) , but in my book it was a OK game (even bought this game for PS3)... too bad new that the second part was axed when Disney closed its game studios, and now licenses its Ips to third parties

but if your saying the PC port of the reboot of turok was bad ... well it was ... from like 10x larger size (sound files where 10x bigger , same with movies).... it was bigger (20gigs, compared to 7gig from consoles) but still had the same quality as on consoles , it was :lol: , like in StrangleHold they padded the game making it 10x bigger ... when the size of the game wanted to be its DRM :lol: (pc games at that time where from 700mb to 2 gigs)

I remember not liking that game at all, but I guess it was decent as far as gameplay. The problem is that I expect mysticism and gore from a Turok game, and in its place we got a neutered Halo clone with no personality or over-the-top violence.

Maybe I should pop it back in the old 360 and replay it on hard (I play almost every FPS at least twice ;) ).
Ghost81
Advanced Member

Postby Meddle » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:02 am

I played the reboot a bit on the xbox 360 at friend's house. It seemed like a fun game even though I didn't get to play it much.
Meddle

Postby houss1 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:19 pm

i complete the game normal and i can't remember i have this problem
houss1

Postby annoyment » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:01 pm

houss1 wrote:i complete the game normal and i can't remember i have this problem

Original, or clone, or DEViANCE?
annoyment

Postby houss1 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:29 pm

i don't know
houss1

Postby annoyment » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:37 am

Gotta check sometime if Russian bootlegs or repacks resolved the issue somehow :huh:
annoyment

Postby Terje_P » Tue May 04, 2021 3:30 pm

https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5733440

A portal opens and Tal Set finds himself in a world he could not even dream of. To the Lost Country ...
Installation procedure:
To start the disc, it must be mounted in Alcohol 120%, Daemon Tools, etc.
Install the game.
IMPORTANT:If the controls in the game do not work, set the defaultlanguageon the keyboard toEnglish. Control settings in the game do not work (this is a bug from the developers).
Play.

Here is the particular torrent at least, as the site may not be searchable without an account. Sometimes there are fixes in the comments, didnt look for this one though.

Update from that particular Russian/English torrent

Russian bootleg indeed (this one being an unlicensed pirate release, that was sold in stores), tried both installs method just to see what they read.
The second one will give you English language. The shortcut name for the game and the config tool will be in Russian, just change the name to something readable.

If Alcohol 120% is giving you issues when mounting images, try ejecting the image in Windows explorer first.

Windows XP SP3 mode fixes video playback issues. I also used Admin mode.
The controls seems to be screwed when loading savegames from within the game.
Loading from a save does work upon first startup.
How to get the inverse mouse control option to stick; Start the game change only that and exit the game again.

I have now played the game some more, and the control issue when loading from saves seems to have cleared itself. I did die a few times in the ride a dinosaour levels, and it loaded fine from autosaves. Currently in chapter 3.
Last edited by Terje_P on Tue May 04, 2021 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terje_P

Postby annoyment » Tue May 04, 2021 6:27 pm

Terje_P wrote:https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5733440

Exact same EXE CRC as DEViANCE NoCD - the brokenness described by hfric should still be there :(
annoyment

Next

Return to Games Support