Index ⇒ Games Support ⇒ Garbled japanese filenames

Trouble playing a game? Game not running well? Ask help here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Garbled japanese filenames

Postby myloch » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:25 pm

As you may have noticed, if you don't set your windows to the proper asian locale, some file names of your floppies or cdroms may be garbled. However if you receive a rar file with garbled filenames inside, is there a way to fix the affected files to proper asian alphabet symbols? Using ms applocale or changing windows locale doesn't fix that.
Please help me! Check HERE for my requests / most wanted titles!
myloch

Location: Out somewhere, collecting old, rare and obscure pc games.

Re: Garbled japanese filenames

Postby annoyment » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:58 pm

Unfortunately it seems ye have to split the issue into multiple separate actions (unless one succeeds where I failed in finding the combined solution), & that locales can't be manipluated to that effect after archival (from me XP, & SP2 as well :lol: ) :x
The encoding conversion part alone has been handled well, as ye may know (just "dir /b > filenames.txt" on CMD, then visit one of these three sites) :D Now for the "batch unique renaming from text/clipboard" part. Freename allows just that, but since it's a Delphi one-time quickie dunno how well does it handle JP (at least it allows hooking of external text-editors instead of just Notepad :up: ). Advanced Renamer is less straightforward, but seems more stable (me thinks it's worth a shot even though IDK if the JP encoding support has been completed, check SuperUser & StackOverflow fer details :( ). Others being Massive File Renamer (due to not seeming to have the "from text/clipboard" part) & Bulk Rename Utility (the same, although if ye ever used SubRip to convert hardsubs to text the app has a similar alternate tool + this possible recent issue) I'm not able to recommend ATM :down:
Can relate to yeh, knowing a couple doujinshites that got screwed like that, verify & notify, & good luck mate :wink:
UDPATE: Since long ago WinRAR itself implemented a "Name Encoding" solution in the "Options" menu, and it's SO DANG effective, all me rant above got just about pointless ImageImageImage
Windows is shutting down
"Hellos, plz help with this, will help backward." -Wimpy
annoyment

Return to Games Support