Index ⇒ Games Support ⇒ alien vs predator 2 problem

Trouble playing a game? Game not running well? Ask help here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

alien vs predator 2 problem

Postby Kyoshiro » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:35 pm

hi, i just finished unpacking alien vs predator 2 the ripped version, and went through unpack.exe and all that, and the files have been all extracted, etc. now, when i click on avp2.exe, a launcher pops up and asks me to install the game. so i click install. when i do that, the launcher waits a few secnods, then shows me this message:

Please go to the Control Panel to install and configure system componenets.

Can anyone help me figure out why its asking this? I would burn it on a cd and try the windows add/remove setup, but the folder is over a gig, and i have no dvd burner ><
Kyoshiro

Postby dead-meat » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:37 am

Did you rename or move the driectory after unpacking? If so, it was your fault.
There's a regsetup which is executed during the unpacking process. This thing will 'tell' your PC that AVP2 is installed in THAT directory, and it'll work fine.
dead-meat

Postby Kyoshiro » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:55 pm

well, i am on limited account and do not have access to regedit, or even the run command at that. how can i make it work at this point?
Kyoshiro

Postby InsaneFury » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:20 am

Kyoshiro wrote:well, i am on limited account and do not have access to regedit, or even the run command at that. how can i make it work at this point?
I don't think you can. A lot of games use the registry to store their installed location or registration information in, so if you can't edit the registry, there's a big chance the game just won't start. In this case the registry info is used to determine whether the game is properly installed. Unless you can run an alternative executable with this game that doesn't use this validation check, I think it isn't possible to run the game... :(

InsaneFury
3DSL Moderator

Postby dead-meat » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:40 pm

Nope.. I had several tries before making the rip and I can say that there's (at least) NO (easy) WAY to make it work.

Perhaps someone _could_ make it work, though I think it's not worth all the work :wink:
dead-meat

bittorrent

Postby red5thedragon » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:55 am

just download the iso on bittorrent. go to
Code: Select all
torrentspy.com
i got my iso from there along with the expansion pack. but i need the original, default maps; i seem to be missing those.
red5thedragon

Return to Games Support