Index ⇒ Games Support ⇒ OJPITA (aka "old japanese pain in the a..")

Trouble playing a game? Game not running well? Ask help here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

OJPITA (aka "old japanese pain in the a..")

Postby myloch » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:37 pm

Basser's lake and magical shot were recently found. Good luck running these though. I failed, still trying to run them on my Vista32, I hope I will not spend one year trying like with Nba Powerdunkers.

Basser's lake > ondisc setup.exe does nothing, I also tried with generic installshield 5 you can find on the net.
Magical shot > weird "CD-ROM blah blah" popup when running game exe and then it quits.
Note: I already tried to set japanese locale and to change the cdrom drive letter I use to be the first in the list (sometimes this does the trick).
Please test them (by now u should know where to look for them) and post infos if you have success!
Note: I'm sharing A LOT of rarities FOR FREE here. Please be thankful and help me, check HERE for my requests/most wanted titles!
*update* Due to technical problems, some of my links are down, if you want a game, please PM me.
myloch

Location: Out somewhere, collecting old, rare and obscure pc games.

Re: OJPITA (aka "old japanese pain in the a..")

Postby annoyment » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:57 pm

Will try on XP host and report back :up:
BTW OJPITA means "OI, (it's) PIE!" in Srb family languages :lol:
"Hellos, plz help with this, will help backward." -weakling
annoyment

Postby roioros » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:59 pm

I only tried "Magical Shot" and the only way I could make it work was using the emulator "PCem" with a Windows 95, it worked perfectly, some screens:

roioros

Postby myloch » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:21 pm

Lazy japanese pc world: why they bothered to update game executable and edit main menu copyright date for this "Best Collection" newer reissue while they didn't add xp support is beyond me...
Note: I'm sharing A LOT of rarities FOR FREE here. Please be thankful and help me, check HERE for my requests/most wanted titles!
*update* Due to technical problems, some of my links are down, if you want a game, please PM me.
myloch

Postby annoyment » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:29 pm

Made Basser's Lake run on DOSBox SVN-Daum with Chinese W95 (this package) - performs properly, but is abysmally slow :?

Windows is shutting down
"Hellos, plz help with this, will help backward." -weakling
annoyment

Postby myloch » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:05 am

Made it run in win7 32bit (the installer starts here, go figure). However it crashes to desktop after choosing a lake: error in module user32.dll. Other than that, no speed issues here. I think this game doesn't even make use of directdraw (game engine is Click&Create...oh gosh), try to force 640x480 for better performance.
myloch

Postby myloch » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:03 pm

roioros wrote:I only tried "Magical Shot" and the only way I could make it work was using the emulator "PCem" with a Windows 95, it worked perfectly

@Roioros: can u confirm the game plays midi during main menu and practice modes but NOT during main game (in the main game it stays silent, sound effects only)?
myloch

Postby roioros » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:18 pm

Exactly, main game has no music, only sound effects.
roioros

Postby myloch » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:56 pm

I managed to translate the popup error of Magical Shot: it says "Please boot from CD-ROM" (CD-ROMから起動して下さい。). The game has obviously some crappy cdcheck(s) that fails when running it on post-WinME. Removing cdchecks might do the trick, any volunteer? :(

/\/\/\/\ EDIT /\/\/\/\
Golem_x86 did the magic: fresh fixed exe for everyone! :D
(Main LW game archive updated)

I understood some things about this silly game. :evil: The original executable does multiple checks: it controls if the game runs from a cdrom unit and it looks strictly for MAGICAL directory and MAGICAL.EXE file. If you rename the directory/file or if you change even a single letter to lower case, it fails and the japanese error screen appears. Copying the content to (example) c:\games\MAGICAL doesn't work too because it expects to find the game in "<cdrom drive letter>\MAGICAL". Last thought: the cdrom directory is not MAGICAL but Magical, so I wonder htf this worked correctly on Win95/98/Me to begin with.
myloch

The following user would like to thank myloch for this post
Scaryfun

Postby hfric » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:14 pm

:mrgreen:
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Return to Games Support