Index ⇒ Games Support ⇒ Can't get messiah to run

Trouble playing a game? Game not running well? Ask help here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Can't get messiah to run

Postby Thaeos » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:15 am

Hey there.

So I downloaded messiah and unzipped it and ran the unpack.exe and the setup.bat and everything, and then i tried to run it and it didnt work. Just crashed to the desktop. So i tried it using the compatibility modes (im using xp professional) and none worked except the windows 2000 one. Even then i only got as far as the logo screen thing, not even the menu before it crashed to desktop.

So i made a shortcut to the messiahd3d.exe and added the +! command thing and it worked, i was now in the menu and changing the video options and whatever. So i go to start a new game and it starts loading, but crashes with a message that says: "The file does not exist: (null)".

So i can't play it. Any ideas? Also it doesnt seem to remember the changes i make in the options screens ... but thats probably just because it crashes every time i run it so ....

Any help would be appreciated.
Thaeos

Postby dead-meat » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:18 pm

You tried to apply the latest patch? Should help
dead-meat

Postby Joeyxp2 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:14 pm

Hey, that's happening to me too. I have applied the latest patch and I still don't recall it working so the patching might not be the problem. I think I remember that I could get to the menu screen and start a new game but after that the game just created some kind of an error for Windows XP and it has to be closed. Yep, I downloaded Messiah from here too and it's not working either basically.
Joeyxp2
Advanced Member

Postby Thaeos » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:00 am

I just got the patch and applied it ... the only difference it made was that it now asks for me to insert cd2 at startup. So i click okay a bunch of times and the game loads up as before, but i still get the same crash to desktop and error message when i try to sart a new game: "The file does not exist: (null)"

What file you shit ...
Thaeos

Postby loki1985 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:53 pm

maybe removing write protection attributes from files if there are any may help.....
loki1985

Postby Thaeos » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:12 pm

Well ... I have no clue how to do that ...

Don't see why that would be a problem though. It crashes to desktop when I select start a new game ... it doesn't actually stop me from loading up.
Thaeos

Postby loki1985 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:38 pm

mark all files in gamedir, right-click, select "Properties", de-select "read-only" or "write-protected"...

and believe me, i am a programmer, i know how file operations work. once i had exactly the same problem, and that solved it...
loki1985

Postby Thaeos » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:06 pm

Well ... everything was unticked read only ...

I deleted it and reinstalled it using the class installer thing to the default directory, and had to add the same compatibility mode and the +! and -i things to the command line in the shortcut to get it running again.

But then I got a completely different error this time:

Code: Select all
Messiah: Script Error

Invalid modelname specified:
PC\ACTORS\WEAPONS\FAKEBULLET\BULLET.DCR

Line 0    File: MESSIAHSCRIPTS\CHAIRMAIN.HXX

I could hear the sound from the game but it still crashed with that message.

So i went into the directory and found that the FAKEBULLET folder was name FAKEBU~1 or whatever ... so i just renamed it to FAKEBULLET ... and now the game works!

Joeyxp2: Maybe try that too ... just run the install.exe in the dir with all the downloaded files and install to the default dir and use the .reg etc. If you were having the same problem it might work.
Thaeos

Postby Thaeos » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:17 pm

Actually now im getting a script error all the time in game ... whenever i have to load something new ...

The folders and files havent been named properly ... so i guess im gonna have to go through them ...
Thaeos

Postby Joeyxp2 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:14 pm

Too late. Even if it did work I have already deleted the files a long time ago and it takes a really long time to download all the files again because of the fact that you can only download some at a time and that there is a limit.
Joeyxp2
Advanced Member

Postby loki1985 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:48 pm

seems someone recompressed the RIP using DOS dirnames... so no help... try reconstructing manually.
loki1985

Return to Games Support