Index ⇒ Games Support ⇒ Some interesting problem reports in some games

Trouble playing a game? Game not running well? Ask help here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Some interesting problem reports in some games

Postby NATO2000 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:28 am

Every game is like every human being, with unique characteristics and unique problems.

Different operating systems will have different problems, and different drivers will also cause different problems.

Here I report two unique problems to you, and by the way, I will discuss the negative optimization of the NVIDIA driver.

I noticed that in the Panzer Killer game, although my experience tells me, this is a game with relatively poor compatibility, it is best to run it on windowXP and the old version of the driver.
But later proved me wrong. In windows7, using the 270.61 driver, you can run 300FPS, and the resolution can be selected to 1280*960*32.
In windowsXP, using the 270.61 driver (same as above), it can only run to 64FPS. There is a strange thing that locks its frame rate, even though I forcibly turn off the vertical synchronization. Even more strange is that the resolution can only be set to 1024*768*32, and there is no setting about 1280*960*32. If I manually modify the INI file to force the setting to 1280*960*32, the game fails to start directly, and Tell me he cannot render 1280 resolution.

I was not convinced by this result and downloaded the 177.35 and 337.88 drivers, but the result became exactly the same in the end.

In this experiment, win7 defeated winxp, which is incredible, but why?

---------------------

The second game is IGI2, a very famous stealth game.

In windowsXP, using my GTX280 and turning off the vertical synchronization, it can run to 144FPS, but there is a strange thing that limits its frame rate.

I switched back to windows7 and used the same version of the driver, and the game actually ran to 230FPS.

Oh, no no no no no no no no, here again and again.

Can someone explain?
NATO2000

Re: Some interesting problem reports in some games

Postby NATO2000 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:42 am

Then I will add some questions about the secret of Nvidia driver's weakening the performance of old games.

Take Global Ops: Commando Libya as an example. I used to use GTX560M for this game in July 2012. The frame rate was very stable and very high, just like Counter Strike.

Some time ago, I replayed this game with GTX280 and used the 2012 game save file. After loading the game, the frame rate dropped, which was appalling, about 30FPS. I am very angry. This is not the first time I have discovered that the new version of the driver reduces the frame rate of an old game.

I tried to find some old version of the driver, finally let the game return to the feeling of memory.

Have you noticed this problem?

Old games can only be played with old graphics cards + old drivers. Each game and driver has a matching problem. There is no rule for this matching, and it can only be determined by comparison testing.

It is this discovery that makes me no longer have any interest in new technology products. I think the driver is the key part that determines the frame rate of the game. New graphics cards and new GPUs only provide new technical features.

If NVIDIA is willing, GT610 can also play 3A-level games with high image quality and very smoothly (extreme joke)

My GTX970M can only run up to 30FPS when running IGI2, but my GTX280 can run up to 230FPS.

But when my GTX280 can't handle those new-style games, my GTX970M can handle them.

Surprise, hahahahahaha?

--------------------------------
By the way, friends, do you know where to find the release history of NVIDIA graphics card drivers?

Nvidia's official website deliberately hides these. I can only use some media and news and some logical speculation to find the driver version numbers that have disappeared.
NATO2000

Return to Games Support