Index ⇒ Games Support ⇒ Old installers not working (Possible fix)  Topic is solved

Trouble playing a game? Game not running well? Ask help here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Old installers not working (Possible fix)  Topic is solved

Postby Terje_P » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:59 am

I've had occasionally issues matching your description with Installshield on Windows 10, so try this to see if the issue's the same. I haven't tried Windows 11, so I'm assuming you can still do what I'm describing.

In Task Manager, go to the details tab, right click on the setup executable, and select "Analyse wait chain". If any other executables are being shown in the wait chain, close them. In my case it was nvcontainer.exe for some reason. The installation program would appear as soon as that program was closed.

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/topi ... indows-11/

Worth trying if an installer dont seem to load in the first place or gets stuck. I wonder if Nvidia is gonna fix it, it seems like they are the cause of the problem..
Terje_P

Re: Old installers not working (Possible fix)

Postby hfric » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:46 pm

more like a 32bit to 64bit memory allocation incompatibility that tries to place the game in memory regions higher then the 32bit program can read , by closing the program in the taskmanager you just downbump the program from the higher memory allocation place to a lower place this 32 bit application can see ... aka 32 bit games can only see max of 3,25 gig or ram , some only can see 2gigs ... you need to patch this game to see 64bit memory allocation

Code: Select all
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Re: Old installers not working (Possible fix)

Postby hfric » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:54 pm

BY doing this you can fix all Winxp to Win7 games ... that crash on Win8\8.1\10 after some time, when the game data suddenly is stored in a place the game will not see ... IF you ever wondered what the "WinXP Compatibility mode" in Win7 to Win10 does, now you know ... it enables games to be only in that 2 gig ram limit, but sometimes the game will crash if it hits a ram wall (since some used 3gigs like Crysis or FarCry 1 and 2)... so this way, games from that OS era work on Win10 64bit OS ... 95% of the time , only had 3 games from 980 tested, did not work... and had to use a Emu WinXP to make then run ... but like most times, even if you patch the memory allocation you have to use graphical DX wrappers , since derpy companies deprecated features from theirs driver sets to push BS it makes theirs cards now RUN FASTER :x
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Return to Games Support