Index ⇒ Games Support ⇒ Il Gladiatore The Game  Topic is solved

Trouble playing a game? Game not running well? Ask help here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Il Gladiatore The Game

Postby myloch » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:57 pm

Hello Hackerz&Crackerz!

I managed to obtain an obscure specimen of "Il Gladiatore - The Game", an early example of italian "Advergaming"... in a whopping *over500megs* Win/Mac hybrid disc (a lot of fmvs, apparently).

The bad thing: you need a secret code in order to start a new game! Back in the day, you had to register to Jumpy (a now defunct italian free internet service) in order to receive that code. More of that, after losing 5 lives, to continue, you need a password from the (guess what? DEAD) internet page of Max, the italian magazine that published this cdrom. If you want infinite lives, you need another password from Jumpy (here we go again).

You got the idea?

Here are some sshots...

https://www.myinstants.com/en/instant/g ... game-over/
Please help me! Check HERE for my requests / most wanted titles!
myloch

Location: Out somewhere, collecting old, rare and obscure pc games.

Re: Il Gladiatore The Game

Postby hfric » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:08 am

So, a Macromedia+QT game build around movie clips from the Gladiator movie ... if it has a exe or some other data , go see it with Notepad++ and see the password ... its always in clear text just look for ENTRA ,and the lines before that are the PW ... sometimes a hidden game is there , unlocked by a PW ... a Polish Macromedia Education Dev "Aidem Media" and "Sunmedia" also had this thing ... a CD that was sold in a magazines with a password , to enable the game ... the thing was, this CD had 10 to 20 games on it ... and yup you guess it , to save on manufacturing costs they slapped this CD 20 TIMES(!!!) to different kids magazines ...
Code: Select all
 https://mirror.polish-abandonware.pl/Gry/AidemMedia/ or https://mirror.polish-abandonware.pl/Gry/Sunmedia/
... not in the reksio games, but in the other ones like
https://mirror.polish-abandonware.pl/Gry/AidemMedia/Herkules%20%2B%20Odyseusz%20PL.7z
https://mirror.polish-abandonware.pl/Gry/Sunmedia/Potyczki%20Samuraja%20Banzaja%20%2B%20Galaktyczne%20Szale%C5%84stwa.7z
... claim there are 2 games unlocked with a PW , but there are 10 haha ... same with the other games there
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby myloch » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:48 pm

The executable is small but there are a lot of .dxr files (the most suspects being home, start, pass and pass2).
No positive results for now, I just found the links to the webpages that once offered the passwords (no, waybackmachine doesn't help).
I'll probably just dump this assh0le and mark it as - not working -
myloch

Postby HcH » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:24 am

myloch wrote:The executable is small but there are a lot of .dxr files (the most suspects being home, start, pass and pass2).
No positive results for now, I just found the links to the webpages that once offered the passwords (no, waybackmachine doesn't help).
I'll probably just dump this assh0le and mark it as - not working -

Try this: https://github.com/ProjectorRays/ProjectorRays

ProjectorRays is a decompiler for Adobe Shockwave and Adobe Director (formerly known as Macromedia Shockwave and Macromedia Director, and not to be confused with Shockwave Flash).
HcH

Postby myloch » Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:32 pm

It's working now. Take this!
Last edited by myloch on Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
myloch

The following user would like to thank myloch for this post
HcH

Postby hfric » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:11 am

So , after taking a look at it , its a Video Quiz game testing your knowledge about the movie build on Director 7.0 ... its protected in a way you have to install the Jumpy software that will give you a code to a forum , then you get a login to enter
http://www.jumpy.it/gladiatore.htm
there you write your Forum logins and the CD code ... guessing its 39VMpami since it was the only thing that was found ...
www.max.rcs.it/gladiatore.htm
site that is used for the continues used a GIF that posted the code for the 5 lives ... based on your IP ... gif is gone ...

For someone with more time ... you would have to edit the HOME.DXR to not go to PASS.DXR (password looking) same with PASS2.DXR (Continue Screed PW protected , spit also about Invincibility if you log in to the Jumpy Forum) ... in Adobe Director

But you have no time ... so ghetto mode it is ... COPY THE CD TO A FOLDER... delete PASS.DXR and PASS2.DXR and Exit. DXR in "Data" folder , press Game.exe , press the gladiator face , after the video or video Skip when the Director 7 asks what file to start pick HOME.DXR
When you get Game Over this game writes something to registry or some file , dunno where ... so you get only one life after restart .. and the game on the game over screen will hang ... you can get pass it by adding this game into compatibility mode winxp sp2 in Win10 to get new life's ... since it makes a reg file per application

Since this game writes something to the Registry\Files , don't have time to look for it with Process monitor for the thing it writes
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

By the way if you will not pick HOME.DXR but a file that ends with Z , like ARMA_1Z it will unlock the backstage item 1 of 4 , picking others will unlock other ones... and give you the making off ...

Another ghetto mode is by deleting Exit.DXR , then making 2 copies of HOME.DXR and renaming them to PASS.DXR and PASS2.DXR ... to get a auto start
https://anonfiles.com/x7acF80dz5/data_7z

also this game when doing this will get a BUG , the game window will jump over the place if a game will crash... yeah , dunno where is saves the position , since it saves somewhere ...
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Re: Il Gladiatore The Game  Topic is solved

Postby myloch » Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:55 am

Ooook, I put apart my proverbial lazyness and I have learnt how to use properly the tool kindly shared by Hch... :thanks:

The first pass is: gld2000
Pass for 5 extra lives is: proximo
God mode: crowe :lol:

:cool:

WARNING!: If you use god mode pass, you are god forever! If you want to reset your game, just remove opx.cvl file (c:\windows\syswow64).
myloch

HcH

Postby HcH » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:34 pm

Great work! You beat me to trying the tool, was going to check it this weekend.

That is one funny godmode cheat considering the theme.
HcH

Postby myloch » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:54 pm

HcH wrote:That is one funny godmode cheat considering the theme.

They put some effort into this considering it's not much more than a promotional disc!
Why they did not use videos from the italian dubbed movie is beyond me. Maybe an american version of the disc exists? :huh:

Funfact: winning the game leads u to a secret phrase that back in the day could be used to try to win a final prize, contest rules could be found in The Gladiator vhs! :o
myloch

HcH

Postby hfric » Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:33 pm

myloch wrote:Ooook, I put apart my proverbial lazyness ...

:lol:
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Return to Games Support