Index ⇒ Games Support ⇒ Silent Hill 2

Trouble playing a game? Game not running well? Ask help here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Silent Hill 2

Postby Maritimesea » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:46 pm

Hey Everyone,

I downloaded Silent Hill 2 and it fails to launch. What it exactly does after I click sh2pc.exe is it appears to launch, the monitor goes black, and then it returns to windows without an error code, although attempting to launch it again presents me with a message from the game "There was a crash last time...safe settings will be used". But nothing changes.

I have a new machine with winxp, so my specs far exceed the minimum. I tried compatibility for 98 and 2000, no change. Closed all programs in the system tray, no change. Deleted the folder and reinstalled(unpacked) the game again. No change. I searched Silent hill 2 here and on google and I can't find a similar issue. Anyone have any ideas?
Maritimesea

Postby abhi_kum » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:54 pm

I am playing this game on Win-XP itself, and this game is running fine for me (though I am facing a problem at a later stage,see my post for freeze on lakeview episode).
but the game is starting well and running fine.Can you provide us with more details like which graphic card u r using, how much memory does ur system have and what are the settings that you have set for the game.. try lowering the resolution (since the game is not coming up, u may need to change the settings manually, see details below), u may also need to play around with ur "settings.ini" under game folder for the game to come up. but as always make a backup of original file before tweaking anything manually.

1. Backup ur settings.ini
2. open settings.ini in a text-editor
3. Search for text "SET DX_CONFIG_RES"
4. The text will be followed by a number, the higher the number,the higher the resolution used for the game.
5. Change the number to 1, so now the line should look something like this "SET DX_CONFIG_RES 1"
6. Save the file and start the game, if the game comes up, set the max resolution that ur system can support.
7. If the game still does not come up, open the settings.ini and one by one set the effects to zero ( effects settings have word "EFFECT" in them like SET DX_CONFIG_EFFECT_FOG_ON 0 and so on).
8. If the game still does not come up, post us again :)
abhi_kum

Return to Games Support