Index ⇒ Games Support ⇒ Something really strange with Resident Evil 2.

Trouble playing a game? Game not running well? Ask help here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Something really strange with Resident Evil 2.

Postby Afro-Dude » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:32 pm

Ok, this is just weird: try playing any scenario of resi2 and run around a little, shoot a few zombies and close the program, then open Windows Media and do the same thing.

I'm not sure if this is general or for low-end systems only... but when I'm playing Resident Eivl 2 while Windows Media is active it increases the framerate of the game dramatically, now some sounds are in good sync and the game all in all is more nicely played than before.

Try it and post please.
Afro-Dude

Re: Something really strange with Resident Evil 2.

Postby annoyment » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:50 am

Y, that's an issue with this vintage PC port, and WMP forces the game to its actual framerate (30FPS). There is an updated & fixed re-release by SourceNext for Japan only (which ofc used BH2 NTSC-J), but unfortunately neither the initial release nor the latter are easy to reverse-engineer to the point of fixing these technical faults (especially the well-known save/load one), and so to this day modern PCs were stuck with emulating console releases for the best experience possible (unless something happened along the way I wasn't informed of, I only know Kalash49, the lead in RE3 Restoration Project, has been only THINKING of doing RE2 after finishing RE3, or at any point in the future, dunno) :(
Windows is shutting down
"Hellos, plz help with this, will help backward." -Wimpy
annoyment

Re: Something really strange with Resident Evil 2.

Postby BR4ZIL » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:09 am

annoyment wrote:Y, that's an issue with this vintage PC port, and WMP forces the game to its actual framerate (30FPS). There is an updated & fixed re-release by SourceNext for Japan only (which ofc used BH2 NTSC-J), but unfortunately neither the initial release nor the latter are easy to reverse-engineer to the point of fixing these technical faults (especially the well-known save/load one), and so to this day modern PCs were stuck with emulating console releases for the best experience possible (unless something happened along the way I wasn't informed of, I only know Kalash49, the lead in RE3 Restoration Project, has been only THINKING of doing RE2 after finishing RE3, or at any point in the future, dunno) :(
Windows is shutting down

Well, the sourcenext release + english patch works flawless on Win7 & Win8, that + forcing anti-aliasing & other effects makes it way better than the PS1 version. Savegame problems are exclusive to the original release, not the sourcenext one.

Also, as bonus, you get the uncompressed FMVs with the sourcenext release, which are in 1024x768 (if i remember correctly). The best quality FMVs in any RE2 release.

As for the framerate, sourcenext runs at 30fps just like the PS1. The only version that runs on 60 frames is the Dreamcast one (but then you have the sillyness of missing content on the dreamcast).

You can even mod in some costumes from the Dreamcast version into the game, due to some diligent people ripping them out and putting the stuff on the net :D
BR4ZIL

Return to Games Support