Index ⇒ Games Support ⇒ Resident Evil's zombie bug (NOT the T-virus)!

Trouble playing a game? Game not running well? Ask help here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Resident Evil's zombie bug (NOT the T-virus)!

Postby Soul Reaver » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:20 am

Well, great. New game download, new problem.

This time it's with Resident Evil (the first one). I haven't downloaded the music or movie packs for it yet.

However, a cursory attempt at the game ended in a major error about a minute into the game.

Basically, as soon as I get control of the (female) character I was playing, I went out of the door at the end of the room I was in, went left down the corridor, and encountered a zombie. I fled back into the room, where my partner shot the zombie. both characters walked up to the corpse and looked at it...... and then the game never exited the 'cinematic' mode. They just stood there, staring at the corpse. The clock was ticking and my computer didn't freeze, but the game didn't react anymore to my commands.

This happened for all video settings I tried, so I don't think it's a video problem...

So... anyone know what's wrong?
Soul Reaver

Postby Killy » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:20 am

Got the same error with my original CD, so it should not be a error in the downloaded version.
With the male character everything works fine for me. :?

Never found a solution for the problem, but somebody told me to change the videomode to software. Well, even if it works, the game looks ugly as hell. :lol:
Killy

Postby NE0 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:13 pm

If u have the PDM rip...well thats bad...that rip is known for not being cracked good in the 3D area and IS missing some important data (mostly sounds)....better get the Razor rip or the ISO. Second u must know that this game supports for 3d gfx old cards like 3dfx (voodoo1), powervr and other old ones...so u might be better in software....btw there's no big difference between software & 3d , only the chars look better. I am playing the game on a voodoo2 card and runs smooth as silk. Hope this helps...if not reply.
You've always been your worst enemy...
NE0

Postby loki1985 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:23 pm

better: get OpenGlide ;)
loki1985

Postby NE0 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:43 pm

That too but these so called glide wrappers don't look as it would look on a real voodoo...i used some wrappers with my radeon and it looks good but not like it should...but anyways is a good solution for new systems.
NE0

Postby Soul Reaver » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:38 pm

Actually, software mode looks bloody atrocious. :P All the shadow and blood effects are horrible and pixellated. Speaking of which... the blood in the rip I downloaded is green. Is it supposed to be like that? Or is this some sort of 'family friendly' German version of it (heard that blood gets changed to green in German versions of the game to make it past the censors...)

And yes, software mode does make that problem go away... I'm wondering if maybe you only need to use software mode to get past that one error-carrying bit and then the rest will work fine...?

I don't know who did the rip... it doesn't say in the .nfo file - it's just from some warez CD apparently.

And is that .iso I hear? Where would I get an .iso of RE?
Soul Reaver

Postby NE0 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:47 pm

Well...does it have all the SFX ? or do u hear class sux ? if so u got the bad one...btw the rzr rip is about 270mb installed...and about the green blood...u got a german warez version i guess...that must suck :)
Did u tryed an Glide Wrapper...eVoodoo seems to be the best...
NE0

Postby Soul Reaver » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:03 pm

Haven't tried a Glide wrapper yet... actaully, I'm not even sure what that is. :P But I'll look into it soon.

If by SFX you mean sound effects (not special effects) then I think it has most of them. Everyone talks, I hear footsteps, gunshots, and occasionally the 'BOO I'm an attacking zombie' music. However, the sound isn't perfectly done. Most of the voice samples begin and end with an audible 'click' sound (probably caused by the converstion from .mp3). But it does seem all the sounds are in there.

This particular rip is 381 Mb when installed.... significantly bigger than that 270 you mentioned... hmmm....

Maybe the site should mention that scaryfun's upload of the game is a whussy German version with green blood? I spent several days downloading it, and having green blood is a bit disappointing. It should have lots of 'real' blood! It's a zombie game, after all. ;)

Oh, and NeoRAGERx, you mentioned something about an .iso before. Where can I get one? There's no iso on this site...
Soul Reaver

Postby loki1985 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:07 pm

just one thing: got the original german CD which is rated "18", and there is no green blood. all red :)

btw: i recently installed the better rip (i think it is done by CLASS), and i cannot get it working. after running the reg setup and starting the EXE the game simply returns to desktop. might this be the fault of win2k? any ideas?
loki1985

Postby NE0 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:10 pm

cls rip of this game...hmm i know only rzr and pdm...the later being a bad one as i said...and yeah win2k might be the problem...this game is for 9x not nt :wink:
NE0

Postby mobileinfantry » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:57 pm

Nearly every game for 9x work on win2k....in fact, I have yet to find a game that was designed for win95/98 that does not work on 2k.

Resident Evil DOES work on win2k, I dont own the game myself, but I have a friend who plays it and his OS is win2k.....but he has original CD version, not rip.
mobileinfantry

Postby -AstroNomik- » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:06 pm

I just got my copy of Resident Evil (.ISO) off eMule. It worked totally fine all i had to do was set the compatibility settings to Win95.
-AstroNomik-

Postby dead-meat » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:57 pm

Yes, that's just right. It's the rip that's causing the problems. Some of us also tried the ISO and it worked.

Actually we're planning to do our own rip... eventually :)
dead-meat

Return to Games Support