Index ⇒ Games Support ⇒ Earser Turnabout CD switch Problem

Trouble playing a game? Game not running well? Ask help here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Earser Turnabout CD switch Problem

Postby skwatter » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:54 pm

I am playing Eraser Turnabout, the ISO that was posted on Adventure Legends.

I am having trouble switching CDs for this game.

If I burn the ISOs on to discs and try them in my real CD drive:

I get to the screen that says insert disc 2. I put disc 2 into my drive.
I hear the Windows XP error chime, and am rocketed back to the desktop with something called MICROSOFT C+C Visual sitting in my task bar. I can't do anything with it so I close it.

If I use a Virtual drive like Daemon Tools For other games with multi CDs:

When I get to the screen that tells me to switch the discs, I have to bring my desktop back up without quitting the game. For games such as these, I usually just press the Windows key, I am brought back to the desktop, I can access my virtual drive and mount the CD image. I click on to the icon of the game sitting in my taskbar and I am brought back into the game and it works for me perfectly.

However, with Eraser Turnabout it is an entirely different question.

When I get to the screen that tells me to switch the discs, I hit the Windows key, I mount the correct CD in my virtual drive, and I click back into the program icon that is sitting in my system tray. but instead of just being brought back into the game with everything functioning properly, the game simply hangs at a black screen and quits out with an error message.

It read something like "fatal error has occurred" and is then followed by a random bunch of code. I have no choice but to close the program.

I know that there is a configuration file in the installation folder that I put the game in when I first installed on my computer. I tried editing the information inside of that file, because when I was per reasoning it using the program Notepad, I saw that I could change the CD drive in which the game looks for the files that are necessary for play. I tried multiple different configurations. I tried setting it to my real drive and to all the different drives in my virtual drive program, it is called Daemon Tools if any of you are wondering. I did this with no success. I even tried copying all of the necessary files off of the CDs onto a folder on my hard drive. I then edited the configuration file in the installation folder to account for these changes. However I ran into many problems along the way of giving what I said above. The game's configuration file, the portion of data that I wish to add it looks like this:

[Path Information]
AviPath: j:\Movies\Movies_a\
SmkPath: j:\Movies\Movies_s\
ArtPath: j:\Artfiles\
WavPath: j:\Sounds\
CfgPath: j:\Cfgfiles\
XmiPath: j:\Music\

The two CDs of this game both have all these folders on them, named and located identically. I thought I could do with this game will exactly what I did with Star Wars Rebel Assault 2. Just click and drag the necessary folders into the folder on my hard drive. However I had problems with this too. Some of the movie and art files on disk to remained exactly the same as some on disk 1, although the "identical" files were different in size and the time and date that they were created. I couldn't do that without screwing something up in the game I thought so I was at a standstill so to say.

I couldn't have separate folders for the disk 1 files on the disk to files because the configuration file only looks into one folder for all of them.

The game is not completely unplayable for me however, for I have it installed on a virtual partition of Windows 98 second edition. It works very well on this however, the animation that goes on in the main menus of the game is a little too fast. As if it is being run in at a frame skip. But other than that the game is completely playable as far as I have tested. I can switch the CDs perfectly because I can easily get out of the virtual partition program and can access my virtual drive and switch the image files without trouble.

Can anybody help me with this problem? I've been having it with a few other games even though it is quite uncommon. I just want to be able to play this game in Windows XP, because it is a pain in the ass to always have to go into DOSBOX or a virtual partition to play a single game.

Thank you very much and have a great day.
skwatter
Addicted Member

Return to Games Support