Index ⇒ Site Suggestions ⇒ Wing Commander: Privateer 1 & 2

Think you have a suggestion to make? Feel free to post it here!

Moderator: LW Moderator

Wing Commander: Privateer 1 & 2

Postby Old_Schooler » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:51 am

Now, granted, I know you're going to think me a bit strange that I even suggest these two games to inclusion on the Adventure Legends list, but, as I did with my suggestion for Wing Commander 3, 4, and Prophecy, I will state that there are some adventure game elements in this games (Privateer 2 mostly.)

Here's the information Mobygames has on these two games.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/wing-commander-privateer
http://www.mobygames.com/game/privateer-2-the-darkening

Now, that's out of th

The games are similar to the main Wing Commander games in that they have a semi-interactive movie quality to them (again, mostly Privateer 2, but the first game does have a minimalist amount of this) since some of your actions play a big role in how the game plays out. In fact, the only way you can really advance the story is to land on planets which causes you to enter an exploration mode which is similiar to that of the Wing Commander games.

The first game was more of an open ended, mission based game. You could fight in space battles and steal cargo, but you really needed to go to a planet and enter the exploration mode of the fame. It was kind've similar to the style of other space sim games like X-Wing and Tie Fighter, but those modes were practically just objectified menu screens and not interactive in an adventure sense. Privateer can actually have the courage to say that landing on a planet and doing things like selling cargo and conversing with people to get missions was totally different from that. Again, if you wanted to beat the game, you needed to land on a planet and enter the semi-adventure game mode of the game as it were.

Privateer 2 is actually when the adventure element played a bigger role and expanded on the adventure portion of the first (and featured FMV sequences with all sorts of famous actors) and placed a bit more emphasis on story and how your interactions during the adventure game mode on planets played out. In fact, if you wanted to continue the story, you had to go to certain planets and meet contacts and acquire information.

I hope you can understand why I've tried my best to point out the importantance of the adventure gaming portions of these two games and why I think they would make eligible entries for the "adventure related" part of the Adventure Legends site since they do in fact possess adventure gaming elements which, again, must be experienced and passed by the player if they want to continue the game.

Speaking of Privateer, there's actually been a remake of the first game in the series. Plus its free so you can check it out.

http://privateer.sourceforge.net

I'll also be uploading the original ISO of the first Privateer game and wiill be sharing it with you guys later on once I've completely downloaded the original here from my BitTorrent here (that'll save you guys some hardship.) That way, if I have made a valid reason for the games to be on the site, I can happily contribute the first game for Adventure Gaming preservation... or, adventure related preservation, whatever you wish.

Speech over. I'll do something to pass the time like liberating France from the nazis.
Old_Schooler
3DSL Moderator

Postby Scaryfun » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:54 pm

Ok, you twisted my arm. :wink:
Hehe. And thanks for upping them.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby Old_Schooler » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:38 am

I've only been able to get the first one uploaded. The second one was one of those multiple CD games which, if I did download, would take up quite a lot of hard disk space and even more to compress (don't ask me why, technical mumbo jumbo.) I may eventually clear enough disk space to accomplish the task of uploading them, but that may not be for a while and I predict someone else might beat me to it.

But the first one is uploaded and that means one of these two entries is sure to have a game download to go along with it.
Old_Schooler
3DSL Moderator

Postby Meddle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:43 am

I'll upload the second one. I've got clonecd's of the deluxe edition.

It should be about 1.8 GB.
Meddle

Postby Scaryfun » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:59 pm

Mighty nice of you, Meddle. :thanks:
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Return to Site Suggestions