Index ⇒ Site Suggestions ⇒ Roleplay Legends

Think you have a suggestion to make? Feel free to post it here!

Moderator: LW Moderator

Re: Roleplay Legends

Postby Scaryfun » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:08 am

In my view, what makes our site unique is the pages with every year's games listed so someone can see the history of fps games progressing from year to year. That's why I added the year summaries to highlight major titles and trends. Doing these for adventure years too would be good eventually. I'd like to rate the games as well...on a scale of must-play, worthwhile and for-collectors-only.
Having one site with every genre and viewing one game at a time is what every site does. Having "related" game lists provides a way where titles that don't fit in one genre can be highlighted as well.

Instead, I would love LW to fully take shape of a resource dedicated to homage and preservation of AL and 3DSL, including those not published on PC platform, but fully playable on emulator.

If we can find someone to start an "Other Platforms" section, then we can add it.
There are great examples of action-adventures that this site misses, while they truly belong here.
Like which are you talking about? This is what Site Suggestions is about...let us know and if we agree, we'll add them.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby AD » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:30 pm

Too bad there is no game historian job, huh? :D

What makes our site unique is that there is no other site like this. :wink:
Plus we have own descriptions and are aware of release details.

Scaryfun wrote:I'd like to rate the games as well...on a scale of must-play, worthwhile and for-collectors-only.
I'm gonna discuss some policy matters separately, but speaking of this, ratings are futile, must-plays and top Ns are evil, competing with DB-only sites isn't worth it.

Scaryfun wrote:Having one site with every genre and viewing one game at a time is what every site does.
Is this a reason not to have consolidated search?

Scaryfun wrote:If we can find someone to start an "Other Platforms" section, then we can add it.
I think game segregation is a dead end. Whether we make RPG or Other Platforms, we'll only have more and more overlapping sets of inter-related games.

It would be great to introduce attributes. That way Myst could have [Adventure], Broken Sword. Shadow of the Templars: The Director's Cut - [Non-PC][Adventure], Full Throttle - [Adventure][Action], Dune - [Adventure][Strategy], Shannara - [Adventure][RPG], Doom - [Action], Cyberia - [Action][Adventure], The Witcher - [Action][RPG], Fallout - [RPG], Pandemonium - [Arcade][Platformer] and so on. The more tags a game has, the more 'related' it is to other genres. Additional attributes (like [Survival Horror], [3D]) could be used to reflect specific types of gameplay or design. 'Main' genre is the first tag, other than [Non-PC]. Game entry is maintained and decorated according to the main tag. Search result will have shortened tags first, then title name (rectangles are filled with different color): [Ac][Ad] Cyberia.

It is already difficult to search for some borderline entries like Alone In The Dark, and more sections with individual search will do a disservice to site's mission.

Scaryfun wrote:Like which are you talking about?
Both citations are parts of the same paragraph advocating for non-PC titles.
My gratitude goes to all contributors. :up:
-> Please help me find <-
AD

Postby guardsman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 pm

Some of the ideas suggested so far appear interesting. IMHO, I'd prefer seperate sites for seperate genres - It makes it easier to browse for games in general, especially if you do not have one particular title in mind but are searching for one that falls under a particular genre.

I think the introduction of tags (Or attributes) would be great for searching purposes though there may be one complication - Since some games might fall under more than one genre (e.g. - [Adventure][Strategy]), a game that is tagged with both "[Adventure]" and "[Strategy]" could be listed in the result set of the AL search engine or in the purposed RL search engine, depending upon which "owner" site the game is listed under. I am not sure how the sites are set up - Does each site have its own DB with its own tables (Pros: Faster searching, since fewer records to search within a particular genre. Cons: More [hassle] seperate DBs to back up/worry about corruption.) or do all of the different sites access one large centralized DB with its tables (Pros: Ease of maintenance, since only one DB to back up/worry about corruption. Cons: Slower search times [Even with indexes on], since more records to filter through and possible greater danger of corruption, since larger tables [record count and index count])? If the latter is the case, then there should not be a problem with games that span multiple genres - The result set yielded from a search from any site would contain links to the game under the genre site where it is listed. If the former is the case, then we may have a paradox - Where would an Adventure/Strategy game appear - In the result set of AL's search engine or the result set of RL's search engine? - If that particular game is listed under AL, it would appear in the result set when you did a search under AL's search engine but it would not appear under RL's search engine even though the game may be tagged with "[Strategy]" since the record for that game is in the AL's DB but not in RL's DB (If the former is the case).
:|
guardsman

Postby AD » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:49 pm

My vision of LW presumed single DB, but it is not something I hold on to: with some efforts, unified search can still be made available for all kingdoms of LW.

Using advanced search you can create any list and with [ ] Random (number) checkbox and field added, only several matching entries will be displayed.

If you haven't noticed, 'the paradox' is what we have right now. :wink:
AD

Postby Scaryfun » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:39 am

It's a single database. The searches are done on separately created temp files with only each site's records, so we can do an overall search instead. Each game has 6 categories than can be entered which we use to indicate the type of game or genre. We can list these as attributes in each game entry if we want, since they are already entered in database for the lists used in 3D Shooter Legends A-Z Index. We're also planning on adding them for adventure games as well. Having abbreviated tags on search list would make things too cluttered though.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby AD » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:19 am

Scaryfun wrote:It's a single database.
Currently we confine visitors to the realm they are in only because of partial search. I can't say for all, but personally, being of curious nature as most adventurers are, would prefer more ways for exploring DB.

Scaryfun wrote:Having abbreviated tags on search list would make things too cluttered though.
Prefixes not for full year / letter lists, but only for search results (may even add up to 30 or other number limit) to indicate where links will lead. We can also have different colors for primary genres.
Faux /alphabet/?SEARCH=cyber results wrote:
Code: Select all
 [R][Ac]   Cyber Prince Of Ages
    [Ac]   CybeRing, The
    [Ad]   Cyberium
[NP][Ar]   Jump-O-Cybera

or with more detailing tags:
Code: Select all
 [R][Ac][34]   Cyber Prince Of Ages
    [Ac][3D]   CybeRing, The
    [Ad][An]   Cyberium
[NP][Ar][Pl]   Jump-O-Cybera

All I'm saying - let's have new sections, but not drive realms further apart.
AD

Postby Molitor » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:27 am

Aren't the notes in the A-Z index enough ?
Games starting with character I:

( "*" indicates Adventure-Related game [platformers,action-adventures,etc.], "#" indicates Kids game, "@" indicates Adult game, "=>" indicates upcoming game )

I like the various ideas you supplied, but the question is: would loki and cie still like to work on the DB ? coding and setting it up was already a big work.

I'd better see a Strategy Legends site (I'm even ready to make and update one if somebody helps me with some details), but I'm still willing to help with this one if it comes out.
I suggest you make a poll or an announcement on the front page to attract visitors to come discuss about it here. I think their opinion counts much in this story.
Molitor
3DSL Moderator

Postby Scaryfun » Fri May 10, 2013 9:26 am

After talking with a several people, I've reconsidered making Roleplay Legends a separate site. If we were to add other genres like Strategy then it would be tedious for visitors to visit each site. Having all genres under one site with drop-down menus for each would eliminate redundant code like having separate searches and indices.
This will take some time in coming though, so in the meantime we can just create a sub-category under Adventure Legends so that it will list Roleplay games in the year pages separately as well as in the index.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby Delacroix » Fri May 10, 2013 3:12 pm

So we're going the Underdogs way, only better organized. It's actually for the better.
Delacroix

Postby annoyment » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:34 pm

Three-year bump with a suggestion. I always thought that strategies were also a kind of adventuring, as a commander of a faction or however can such be called, only being differed by the way one's, well, commanding (IMO tl;dr one control scheme type does not make a complete genre, or a subgenre for that matter, IDK). The latest suggestions I approve as well, but based on the aforementioned I'm suggesting that the third option be - Sports!
Yeah, sorry for the drop, but it's felt that it's more missing than anything I know of suggested (feels more sensical than Racing, which fits well into the suggested, and Roleplay, as discussed above that it should stay as an Adventure piece). The cons are obvious, all effort here feels like going in vain plus all new effort needed to fuel this one, as well as harsher license issues. The only pro I see is this:
HIDE: ON
You need to reply to this topic before you can view the hidden message

Bottom line, good final layout thought, #3 should be Sports (being the only thing sensibly separate enough), good luck to anyone wanting to run the section (yes, I've read the thread).
HIDE: ON
You need to reply to this topic before you can view the hidden message

Windows is shutting down
"Hellos, plz help with this, will help backward." -Wimpy
annoyment

Postby myloch » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:03 pm

Sports would be the best addon, but it includes a hella lot more games than racing or roleplay alone. And honestly I know very few sites, probably no others, that update main page news so frequently and add so much new game profile pages mostly every day

Nah, I don't collect so many soccer games, I prefer basket, golf and rally titles ;)

My favourite type are usually arcade action games, puzzle games and fighting.
Please help me! Check HERE for my requests / most wanted titles!
myloch

Location: Out somewhere, collecting old, rare and obscure pc games.

Previous

Return to Site Suggestions