Index ⇒ Site Suggestions ⇒ "MEGAdownloader"?!

Think you have a suggestion to make? Feel free to post it here!

Moderator: LW Moderator

"MEGAdownloader"?!

Postby Elbart » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:11 pm

Today I stumbled over these small files for the first time trying to download a version if Diablo Hellfire and a Commander Keen compilation.
Are these files meant to be linked to or should they be considered malware? The download is located on Wuala but calls itself "MEGAdownloader"?

At first I was a bit surprised to find such a small file (3.4MB) for a big game like Diablo+Hellfire, so I ran the executable in a VM.
After extracting it demanded admin-permissions. A downloader asking for admin-rights? Never heard that before.
Elbart
Advanced Member

Re: "MEGAdownloader"?!

Postby Molitor » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:13 pm

We aren't going to post any malware on LW, I can assure you. These downloaders were made by 3spot himself (more exactly, using a Mega.co.nz toolkit) and they are hosted on Wuala, but their goal is to download the game files from mega.co.nz. That's surprising, but it works. Sometimes 3spot posts the "real" Mega links too.
Molitor
3DSL Moderator

Re: "MEGAdownloader"?!

Postby Tadrio » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:28 pm

I suppose the reason why he's doing it is because Mega downloads can be a hassle. For example they work only in very few browsers, Chromium-based ones are the only ones I know about. And even there, the downloads are far from comfortable. They're stored in a temporary folder until they are 100%, only at that point you're being asked where to copy the file to. If anything goes wrong before that, good luck finding it if it hasn't already been deleted...

If you want to download the traditional way, open the EXE with an archive (like 7-Zip) and look at the Links.txt file. It contains the direct Mega links.
Tadrio

Return to Site Suggestions