Index ⇒ Site Suggestions ⇒ Download listings for non adventure/shooter genres

Think you have a suggestion to make? Feel free to post it here!

Moderator: LW Moderator

Download listings for non adventure/shooter genres

Postby Wastrel » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:28 pm

I know that maintaining such a big database of classic games you have prevents you from expanding that database with other (or all) genres right now. But I would like to share an idea with you regarding user uploads that don't fit into the adventure/shooter and related genres.

Some users (including me) have uploaded many titles on the public or closed sections of the forum which don't fit into the currently maintained Legends World genres, yet they are very useful and/or interesting for a retro PC gaming fan like me. But browsing through the many various topics other users created is a very time-consuming act. If one doesn't have many patience to browse through the user uploads carefully, many hidden gems will be lost forever. So I think you should create a download listing for other game genres which don't receive their own download and description section on Legends World. This section would differ from the regular game pages on the site in that you won't look for any kind of description or screenshots of the games, you just list the games with their name, genre, upload type (iso, rip, etc.), uploader's name and download links (and maybe a small comment from the uploader if he/she would like to say anything about the upload). A single-page site with a table where every game entry is just a single line (or two if there's comments). I think it wouldn't consume too much time to achieve and all users would really benefit from it. If the users want to get infos about any release they can look after them on Google. And if you want to expand your database with new genres you'll already have a small list of uploads in that genre. You can also restrict the acces this list for uploaders only, if you don't want to share it with the public.

I really look forward to your reply, to see if it's a good idea. Many thanks for considering my request.
Wastrel

Re: Download listings for non adventure/shooter genres

Postby Molitor » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:06 pm

While the decision is of course entirely in Scaryfun's hands, I can say I strongly support this idea. This can fits into a Excel or Google Docs spreadsheet.
Molitor
3DSL Moderator

Postby Scaryfun » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:57 pm

My first thought is whoever has time can go through the forum and collect a list like that and just create a pinned topic in User Uploads section.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby Molitor » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:54 am

Then, that's what I'm going to do.
Molitor
3DSL Moderator

Postby Wastrel » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:22 am

Thank you for supporting my idea. I was browsing the whole forum in summer, and I have found many interesting hidden uploads, but it was a pain in the *** to search for them and took me many days to dig. I regret a little that this idea didn't come into my mind earlier because I had some free time in summer when I could've made that list. This is unfortunately not the case right now.

However, if I can help you in anything, I can put together the list of all my uploads with valid links and send them to you in Excel of CSV format. Are you interested? You can probably ask the other uploaders too, who are still active on the forum to make a list of their active files. I think those files are enough which don't exist on 3DSL/AL pages right now.
Wastrel

Postby Molitor » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:02 am

Indeed I'd appreciate if you could send me a list of links in any excel format or alike. I'm trying to put together what I found into a big spreadsheet with name, genre, size, uploader, notes & link.
Molitor
3DSL Moderator

Return to Site Suggestions