Index ⇒ Site Suggestions ⇒ System Shock Portable (1994 Mods & Addons) - Removed

Think you have a suggestion to make? Feel free to post it here!

Moderator: LW Moderator

System Shock Portable (1994 Mods & Addons) - Removed

Postby Steve » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:47 pm

SUMMARY

A development team called NIGHT DIVE STUDIOS claims to have bought the rights to both System Shock 1 & 2. Therefore, the System Shock Portable "mod" from the Systemshock.org boards has been removed. I might have downloaded this (SSP) in the past but I can't be certain. If no one has this immediately accessible, I can hunt around on my old back-up CDs to see if I still have it.

LINK

Board post now citing that the link has been removed
Steve

Re: System Shock Portable (1994 Mods & Addons) - Removed

Postby hfric » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:55 am

Code: Select all
Hello Larry,

I have removed the download of System Shock Portable, into which a whole community including myself have invested years of work.
This game was once created by a bunch of extremely smart people in Boston who favoured individual thinking and personal skills over capitalism and following the rules. Have you played it?

The laws that you are using now to make money from their and our work were once put in place to protect creative workers and those who invested in their endeavours to ensure that they get paid.
But your company never created anything. "Night Dive" is just a device to misuse the legal system and fill Stephen Kick's pockets.

Go get a real job, Larry. Do something that isn't just enough to pay the rent. Write. Draw. Create something. Be more than a leech.
And play System Shock.

Sincerely,
Nicolai "Kolya" Sandow

response from the staff to those fudge ...
NIGHT DIVE STUDIOS is just a buch of fudge that buy off, old licenses for nickels and steal moders work as theirs aka WE MADE THIS GAME WORK IN NEW OS :-x
then they sell them to GOG/STEAM and make money from it

just like GOG steals cracks/mods from scene and boats it made those games backwards compatible
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby Scaryfun » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:26 am

That's despicable. :evil:

HIDE: ON
You need to reply to this topic before you can view the hidden message
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby hfric » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:56 am

The biggest lulz is those files where never on their server ... they had a redirector to a Torrent tracker file :lol: , they just removed the Torrent file redirections from the forum, but if you look for this file you will find it on all trackers .. lets just say... theirs way to put out this wild fire, back fired ... as of now 20 more file listings pop up with a backup of this version :lol:
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby Delacroix » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:59 pm

On one hand, it's good that Night Dive and GOG are publishing such editions - but only if money goes to the original creators. Otherwise, why bother? Killing off such initiatives as SSP is outrageous.
Delacroix

Postby hfric » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:11 am

Delacroix wrote:On one hand, it's good that Night Dive and GOG are publishing such editions - but only if money goes to the original creators. Otherwise, why bother? Killing off such initiatives as SSP is outrageous.
and that's the whole point , this money goes NOT to the original creators but to those bastards that bought the IP ...a game that for a LONG time became a freeware and the main source code was given to the fans ... now becomes again a commercial product to fill Stephen Kick's pockets ... and that's Nicolai "Kolya" Sandow point , when a company does a SWOT of old games that still have a fan base ... bought the rights and sells theirs compatibility mods, like they would own thiers work just to make a quick buck ... the GOG PIG WAY
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby hfric » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:56 am

Final words from Marc 'MAHK' LeBlanc:

Quote from: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.p ... ost2297231
So, I wanted to weigh in on the disappearance of Portable in favor of the GOG version, and this seems as good a place as any.

US Intellectual Property law is not in a very good place right now, and needs reform. It seems like we've forgotten that the whole point of IP law is to give creators a short-term incentive to create for the long-term public domain.
Shock Portable is awesome. All you guys who worked on it are heroes in my book. I cannot repeat that enough.

All that said, given the current reality of IP law, there was always a sword of Damocles hanging over Shock portable. Legitimate rights holders could have shut it down at any time. Heck, illegitimate rights holders could have shut it down with a nuisance suit. When the takedown first happened, a lot of you feared the worst, and rightly so.

But, thankfully, the rights are in the hands of people who are interested in maintaining its availability, rather than just locking it up to cover their own butts. The worst did not happen. At very least, the sword of Damocles has been disarmed.

No, LookingGlass didn't really make any money off of System Shock, other than the development costs (i.e. we got paid salaries and benefits). We could have made money if the game had sold well initially, but it didn't. Don't feel bad about the fact that we don't get a cut of the GOG sales. (And don't worry about us; We are all gainfully employed at places like Valve and Harmonix and Riot, not to mention OtherWorld. We are the Secret Masters of Gaming now...) Your chance to give us your money was when the game first game out.If you are looking for something to feel bad about, you can feel bad about missing that chance. ;)

On the whole, I'm pretty happy to see Shock come to GOG. Maybe someday I'll finish my stream...

- MAHK
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby Virgil » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:32 pm

So, it's some totally unrelated company that had bought the rights for System Shock and coerced (or likely paid) the patch and ports developers to give up their work made for community of fans? So now it could be properly purchased, never mind the fact that nor GOG, neither that trifiddy studios has any connection to the original game makers, and just by sheer luck they had managed to get access to a flee-ridden game IP pawnbroker that happened to hold on SS license. I know that GOG has used cracks, fan made patches and tools without permission in the past, but this really stinks.
Virgil

Return to Site Suggestions