Index ⇒ Site Suggestions ⇒ Russian names unification

Think you have a suggestion to make? Feel free to post it here!

Moderator: LW Moderator

Russian names unification

Postby Smiling Spectre » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:23 pm

As I see, you are using at least three different ways to treat Russian games names.

1. English translation of the name. (3 Little White Mice: Visit of the Sea Rat [Ru])

2. English translation/Russian transcription (Alice's Birthday / Den rozhdeniya Alisy [Ru])

3. English translation/Russian name (Cossacks in search of the Mona Lisa / Как казаки Мону Лизу искали [Ru])

Can you choose some _one_ scheme and be consistent with it, please? I can help to make all games names to this scheme, but choose the one.

I personally think that third one is most correct.
Smiling Spectre

Re: Russian names unification

Postby myloch » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:39 am

I vote the second one, since we don't use hangul for Korea or kanji for japan, but transcriptions too
Please help me! Check HERE for my requests / most wanted titles!
myloch

Location: Out somewhere, collecting old, rare and obscure pc games.

Postby Smiling Spectre » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:11 pm

I think, it's not quite honest, as site, it seems, haven't any problem with all latinic-based languages. There is no transcriptions for some Josefin Skolhjälp: Trafiksäkerhet 2 - Säker på Cykel or Dr. Šílenec - even if I cannot read it in English. Moreover, even some Rätsel aus der Geisterwelt and Affaire à Suivre: L’Île Diabolique hardly can be read _right_, if you don't know German or French. So what use for _Russian_ transcription (that is not-exact anyway, and cannot be read right too). *shrug* There is some sense in transcripting all this languages that written/read by different rules than European ones - all this non-letter languages (as all hyeroglyphic ones), or Arabic, or something - just because they use different rules and can be messed too easily. But Russian (or Greek, or Bulgarian) follow the same rules in writing as all this Romanic ones, so why? *shrug*

Anyway, I am biased, of course, so it's up for you.
Smiling Spectre

Postby Meddle » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:53 pm

It seems to be derived from a bias for the Latin alphabet. I'm not suggesting this was intentional, that being said perhaps we should should fix this.

Translated or western title first then properly written title in appropriate language would be my preference. The problem with transcription seems to be inaccuracy which leads to non-searchability via search engines.

Proper titles might also bring in more people from other parts of the world as part of the title would then be in their language.
Meddle

Postby Delacroix » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:00 pm

IMO it should go like this:

OFFICIAL ENGLISH TITLE (or English translation of foreign official title) followed by original foreign title if exists, in original transcription to allow searchability.
Delacroix

Postby Scaryfun » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:55 am

I can get most of the pronunciation of those languages with Katin characters like German, French, Czech. I have no idea what the Russian Cyrillic characters sound like. I'm sure that would the same for other English speakers to which we cater too. There is no slight intended to Russians. The same is the case for Chinese, Japanese, Arabic and other languages which don't use Latin characters.
I agree that it would be best for game fans of these previous languages to be able to search the site for titles in their native written language. Of course, using the A-Z Search Index page lists for Non-English Games provides a way for site visitors to do it. Google searches of those titles in their native language characters won't turn up our site, so maybe we can include them somehow. Putting them in title would clutter up titles especially on year pages. Maybe it's better putting it in game description...
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby Smiling Spectre » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:11 pm

Scaryfun, you'll get your title from the English name, and Google will give you needed pronunciation of the Russian name, if you are really curious.

Again, my idea is to put it as this:

Cossacks in search of the Mona Lisa / Как казаки Мону Лизу искали [Ru]

That way you know what is it all about, and I know how it's named actually. :)

But I am aware that every non-latinic language used to be transcribed to latinic. I only think that it is pre-Internet (or pre-Unicode, if you want) atavism, so not needed to be supported. But if you think it's needed, I can transcribe every name like this:

Alice's Birthday / Den rozhdeniya Alisy [Ru]

What is your choice? :)
Smiling Spectre

Postby annoyment » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:13 pm

Me vote is #2 "English/Native-romanized [country-abbr]" with zero English releases, and #1 "just_the_official_English-title" with even ONE English release; albeit it takes time to modify all to fit (LW already has stuff well indexed for the former, but not as well for the latter) :idea: As for the selection of romanization standards I'd say, for the sake of overall accessibility, to use any that don't deviate from en-US QWERTY characters, but loosely in terms of fitting pronunciations, since that area is a VERY mixed bag (in case of Russian I'd go for either one of the GOST or Passport ones, even though I'd mix stuff up to fit me own south-Slavic pronunciation bias 'cause REMOVE KEBAB :lol: ) :|
Windows is shutting down
"Hellos, plz help with this, will help backward." -Wimpy
annoyment

Postby Smiling Spectre » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:43 am

annoyment wrote:(in case of Russian I'd go for either one of the GOST or Passport ones

And both are not intended to be readable. It's transliteration at worst, suitable only for machines and while direct-converted between languages, but not directly related to any language.

Well, I see my weak point then. I cannot implement correct transliteration by hand, and I don't want to do it by rules. Ok, I am sorry, I was wrong, offer removed.
Smiling Spectre

Return to Site Suggestions