Index ⇒ Site Suggestions ⇒ Who is interested in starting strategy genre section here?

Think you have a suggestion to make? Feel free to post it here!

Moderator: LW Moderator

Postby Scaryfun » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:28 am

Thanks for your interest, guys. It isn't hard to have Strategy Legends especially since the site setup, index and menus are already built but what we don't have is someone who can update it regularly. If someone cannot do it for some part of the year, don't worry about it as some help can be arranged.

I can add genre search to Adventure & 3D Shooter Legends for sure. But, I don't want to add strategies to Adventure Legends as it would make it too cluttered. The amount of strategy games rivals the number of adventures on the pc while the rpg amount is about half that and more equal to the 3D Shooter amount.

Currently, I'm adding tank shooters and will also do some helicopter ones as well to 3D Shooters but we will be nearing the cataloguing of most old titles in the next months. Also, there won't be as many old adventures to add either so who knows....I might have time to do something else...though I prefer rpg games to strategies myself.

Also, we can break up the work among people who are willing to help but don't want to edit html on a website. Someone can gather and shrink game covers to go on site, or look up titles on abandonware search engines. If anyone is willing to do any of these tasks, please let me know.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

The following user would like to thank Scaryfun for this post
AmirAK-47

Re: Who is interested in starting strategy genre section her

Postby Molitor » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:19 pm

The discussion about RPlegend reminded me of this thread. Would a Strategy Legends website be doable with the current site setup ? I'm wondering how the site could be hosted (get a new folder in the root 3dsl.game-host.org ? or use another host ?). If it's fine then I might be able to convince some buddies to help me with this. I have a lot of time to spend on weekends and week nights... And I'm dreaming about a third continent on the Legends World map.
Molitor
3DSL Moderator

Postby Scaryfun » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:44 am

That's great to hear. I'm starting to rethink having separate sites for genres if we're going to have 3dsl, adventure, rpg and strategy. It would be too much of a hassle for visitors to check each one. Having one consolidated search and have each genre in a pull-down menu would be easier and save space for the redundant same sections for each genre site. Stay tuned.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby guardsman » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:32 pm

Scaryfun wrote:... Having one consolidated search and have each genre in a pull-down menu would be easier...

Is it possible in the near future for the genre of 3D simulation games to be added to that drop down list, Scaryfun? In other words, would Legends World support 3D simulation games (Maybe a 3D Simulation Legends)? There are many good titles out there (e.g. Space Shuttle Mission Simulator 2010, Mars Simulator 2011, Ship Simulator Extremes 2010, the series of Railworks Train Simulators, etc. to name a few) and people that are interested in that genre.
:?: 8)
guardsman

Postby Scaryfun » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:57 pm

It's possible, as long as we have a volunteer to add those titles to the site.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby DnDler » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:36 pm

Its interesting.

I wanna collect much more strategies, RTS especially, although interesting and games of other genres.

I dont sure and possibility be a helper with adding and support Strategy Legends(main reasons - strong employment from time to time, keep many 4shared accounts every 3-4 months for keeping archives forever), but its can be possible, specially after have one more HDDs for keeping.
DnDler

Postby Scaryfun » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:43 pm

Cool, keep us posted if you find you have the time to do it in the future. We are hoping to have one main site which allows genres to be chosen and all update news listed in one place. So, strategy would be another added section.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby DnDler » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:40 am

Sure.
DnDler

Postby Molitor » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:30 pm

Just throwing an idea out:
There have been a couple of strategy titles posted on the forum, some of them being not suitable for AL nor 3DSL; but they were kept anyway because they could interest some members. I suggest that we make a topic where all Strategy uploads could be posted and stay in the forum. No DB, no game presentation, no main site, no game requests: just a thread to centralize the links, and a "master list" to organize the games. I think that would be an occasion for some people who are impatient to share their games. And I can take care of the topic in question. However I'm still against the Strategy requests.
Molitor
3DSL Moderator

Postby Scaryfun » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:47 pm

Sure, if you want to do that it will be useful. I added a few of those strategy titles as they were related to series for which we already have games in genres we already have...like Command & Conquer, we have Renegade fps.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby basetta » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:29 am

I added a few of those strategy titles as they were related to series for which we already have games in genres we already have...like Command & Conquer, we have Renegade fps.

Looking through Egon68's links, there's some more cross-related series

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12747
- Close Combat series x4 ==> [3DSL] Close Combat: First to Fight

- Sid Meier's Classic Collection ==> [AL] Sid Meier's Pirates! (2004)
Advanced Civilization
Civilization II. Chartbusters 13 addons
Sid Meier's Antietam
http://www.firaxis.com/?/games/single/s ... ace-patrol
(Sid Meier series..?)

- Star Trek - Deep Space Nine - Dominion Wars ==> [AL] Star Trek **
Star Trek: Armada

- MTV's Beavis and Butt-Head - Bunghole in One ==> [AL] Beavis and Butt-Head in Virtual Stupidity, MTV's

- Syndicate Plus ==> [3DSL] Syndicate (2012)
basetta

Postby Molitor » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:53 pm

The "problem" when choosing between AL and SL games is the thin line between RPG and strategy elements in many strategy games.

However, should the category system work as following or something else ? :
Category 1: RTS
Category 2: TBS
Category 3: Managerial
Tags:
Historical
Sci-Fi
Sports
Naval
Space
Molitor
3DSL Moderator

Postby Supernova » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:57 pm

Perhaps needs a 4X category as well? and RTT (real time tactics)?
Supernova

Postby Molitor » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:10 am

I come back on what I said about categories, I think it would be a dead end to put Managerial as a 1st category so I drop it for now and put it as 2nd category.
So here are a few examples of games I have in mind and the category system I propose:
Game: 1st category, 2nd categories

Civilization V: RTS, 4X, Managerial (RTS or simulation ?)
Hegemonia: RTS, 4X, Sci-Fi, Space (RTS or simulation ?)
Warcraft: RTS, Fantasy
Sid Meier's Pirates!: RTS, Naval (RTS or RTT ?)
Pandora: First Contact: TBS, 4X, Sci-Fi, Space, Managerial
Age of Empires: RTS, Grand strategy, Historical
Pro Cycling Manager: Simulation, Sports, Managerial
Zoo Tycoon: Simulation, Managerial
Metal Fatigue: RTS, Sci-Fi
Total War: Rome TBS, Grand Strategy
Tropico 3: Simulation, Managerial, Political
Men of War: RTT, Historical
SimCity 2000: Simulation, Managerial, Political
The Sims: Simulation, Managerial
Stronghold (2001): Simulation, Managerial, Historical
Stronghold Legends: RTS, Managerial, Historical, Fantasy

I'm thinking about using the Simulation category as soon as a game doesn't include any combat strategy element. But, several game's belonging to this category need to be nuanced: for example FireFly's Stronghold is mostly Simulation-based with castle building, however the game also features a combat system. Some games also switch from RTS to TBS in specific moments.

Still, the Strategy genre is huge and spanning several sub-genres and I certainly don't know them all. Any help is greatly appreciated !
Molitor
3DSL Moderator

Postby _Antithesis_ » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:28 pm

Man, it's been almost a full 10 years since this was suggested. Am I to take this as meaning there won't be a Strategy Legends site?

EDIT: I read in another thread that Scaryfun said that a strategy section of the site is awaiting someone willing to moderate it. While I'm incapable of doing so now, both due to time constraints and storage limitations... and having no knowledge on how to mess about with a site to add stuff (but that could be easily taught to me, so that's not a huge concern), I can't do it now. With luck, I'd love for it to be a short-term goal (within the next year or two) of getting everything into place, but I know that most stuff I plan doesn't work out in my favor, at least not as soon as I would like. So yeah. You have an eventual moderator for a strategy section of the site. Key word there being 'eventual'. :P
_Antithesis_

Previous

Return to Site Suggestions