Index ⇒ Site Suggestions ⇒ Legends World bittorrent tracker

Think you have a suggestion to make? Feel free to post it here!

Moderator: LW Moderator

Would you like the creation of a Legend World bittorrent tracker?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:24 am

YES!!! DO IT NOW!!!
14%
Yes, i THINK it would be a good idea.
No votes
I am newtral, it would be no better but also no worse than before.
14%
No, i THINK it would be a bad idea.
43%
NO!!! DON'T DO IT!!!
29%

Total votes : 7

Legends World bittorrent tracker

Postby Ardov » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:24 am

Wouldn't it be a good idea to create a private tracker called Legends World Tracker for bittorrent files? I think it is the only way to preserve these games-masterpieces and share it to those who really appreciate them. (hence the "private" tracker). That way we can eliminate the need for constantly reupping a lot of things (especially on Adventure Legends) and we can enlarge our site's collection of ISO "DEMOS". Another plus would be the increased speed for obtaining an ISO. Below i append the Pros and Cons according to my opinion. What is your opinion?

Pros
-----
- Creation of a new sharing community through bittorrent protocol.

- Many new ISO additions thanks to our members' daily contribution.

- Private tracker means only Legends World members who really appreciate those games will be able to use the Tracker. That also means only users who contribute (new releases, SEEDING MAINLY) will be able to continue using the Tracker.

- New members can be controlled by the Tracker for Hit 'n' Run behaviours. Everyone must SEED to preserve the availability of all the site's content.

- No more bad links and broken downloads.

- Increased transfer rate!!! (if people is seeding)

- No more staying in front of the computer all the time, trying to manage the multi part downloads from 4shared etc...

- And last: More happy members. :)

CONS
-------

- Tracker requires independent server to run, which brings us a new cost. (we could overcome this through some minor donations)

- Legal stuff that i may not know.

- Hit 'n' runners'. (As a solution, content who will not be SEEDED will have a negative effect on those users who last downloaded it and they will be banned.)
Ardov

Postby hfric » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:46 am

Underground Gamer
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby I_AM » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:11 pm

What hfric said, no point reinventing the wheel on this when Underground Gamer exists. I wouldn't be in favor of this anyway.

I maintain approx 4GB of uploads for LW. Using free upload sites, I can upload it once and then 1000's of people potentially can download it at good speeds without me having to share any more of my bandwidth. Sure, sometimes the uploads may be lost, but I find the infrequent reuploading preferable to the need to seed constantly for the same effect.
Why waste my own time and money serving when I can waste somebody else's server for free ?

Private Bittorrent trackers create elitist communities and exclude people that can't maintain an appropriate share ratio. With Legends World we give freely and anybody can partake of the fruits, even the lowliest of dialup users provided they have the patience :)
"Archimedes Elite, regarded by many as the best ever version." - Ian Bell, co-author of Elite
I_AM

Postby Scaryfun » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:21 pm

Yeah, I agree with I_AM. Seeding torrents requires a person to be constantly online and with a good upload speed. Most of us can't match upping at the speed of what the hosts we use now can offer. Underground Gamer is good for old game torrents, but you need an invite. I notice some games we up Legends World end up being torrents soon after on there as well. :P
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby Smiling Spectre » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:10 am

The idea is bad for me. I seen that on torrents.ru, that shares the same concepts:

1. Very hard to have all this old games in upped and good status: do you think, all people have unlimited HD space? :) I personally have 10 Gb free. And if one server maintain all of this, we have old technology, but with reduced speed, not increased.
2. "Elitist club": every new file shares between old members momentarily. But most new members simply cannot maintain seed/peer ratio, because old members already have all of that, and there is not enough of new members, who wants exactly this file. And you cannot download most of this files to maintain ratio, because you will be banned already after first gygabyte or two (as it happens constantly with my friends on the torrents.ru :))
3. To have good speed, you need many seeders. Do you really think, there is exist many people, who wants all this games? :) I don't think so. And having 20 seeders for Daggerfall not helps at all to Freddy Fish 2, for example, that will have one seeder maximum (I think :). And p.2 really eliminate even possibility to expand this numbers.
4. Many new ISO additions? From where? :) If you cannot upload ISO on 4shared, why you magically aquire this ability with BitTorrent? :)
Smiling Spectre

Postby Ardov » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:33 pm

I agree with all those things that have been said. But check the games' links. At least with bittorent, you double click the torrent file and you get the file no matter when, but you get it. Even with only 1 seeder at 2kb/sec you will get the game. At least a 20 % of the games in adventure legends have some or all links broken. Also, MEGAUPLOAD doesn't work for my country Greece. I need to download the toolbar which contains spyware. Some 4shared folders are empty. So this means you will have to reupload the content. Using a tracker this could be avoided by posting a Reseed request. Other than that Legends World is a wonderful site and congratulations to everyone maintaining and updating the site. Anyway, it seems the cons are more than the pros for a bittorrent tracker. I am curious though to see the poll results at the end.

Friendly, Ardov :)
Ardov

Return to Site Suggestions