Index ⇒ Site Suggestions ⇒ Thank you for Amerzone

Think you have a suggestion to make? Feel free to post it here!

Moderator: LW Moderator

Thank you for Amerzone

Postby mxjgr » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:26 pm

Thank you very much for the DVD version of Amerzone.
Until the moment, I saw it on this site, I didn't even know, that such a version did exist. The FMV scenes do really look much better than the old smacker movies.

In Germany, one company released the game on DVD, but it was just the normal 4-CD-version packed on the DVD. Even the "Change Disc"-screen still appears. :roll:

So again: thank you very much. :lol:
mxjgr
Addicted Member

Postby Scaryfun » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:29 pm

Hehe, you're :welcome:
Some of the more popular multi-cd games were re-released on official dvds...usually for more modern operating system or in the case of FMV games to get higher-res video or just to avoid cd swapping.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Re: Thank you for Amerzone

Postby mr.editor » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:04 pm

Oh well, I was just going to make a topic that I made a discovery - that there different versions of Amerzone. :) I'm late here and I was late discovering that for myself either, as I completed smacker version, but I also had version with VOB files. :S Anyway, I can confirm that version with VOBs has a bit higher resolution and better quality.
Just in case I point out that there is movie_config.exe in DVD version to choose video settings. Screenshot: https://www.4shared.com/photo/eduC8a6ab ... igexe.html

The better version weights about 2.95GB and is available in Gamersgate. Steam version is 1.8GB and is Smacker-only. Gog lists the game to be 1.8GB today, so I'm sure it's Smacker-only as well. Meddle has a few years ago mentioned in one post about Amerzone that "you can get the whole 4.8GB game from GOG.com for $9.99.". Not sure what version is that, or was it a typo.
In AL are Full Demo ~156Mb(uploaded by keropi) and ISO Demo DVD ISO Demo2.66GB (upped by Egon68) - I don't know anything about those.

BUT - there might be more different versions indeed. Can anyone comment or enlighten regarding differences? (simplified mobile versions are known)
Eg. I noticed drawing screenshot from Wikipedia page, on lower right corner. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerzone Nice drawing. The versions I tried had censored picture:
https://www.4shared.com/photo/Y-zxBYOyb ... -52-7.html
mr.editor

Postby Meddle » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:42 pm

It wasn't a typo. But it may just have quite a few extras with it. I'll investigate it later. Total size in bytes of my archived copy of GoG Amerzone is: 5,035,056,740.
Meddle

The following user would like to thank Meddle for this post
mr.editor

Postby mr.editor » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:37 am

Meddle wrote: I'll investigate it later.

Please do! No hurry. If you have backuped your old gog copy to 4shared, maybe you want to share? I'd like to know is it censored as well (one can find out 1minute after starting new game if one heads directly to collect the diary) and are there any other content changes (maybe by comparing folders and file sizes?).

Interesting why gog downgraded their version? Was the original gog publisher other than Microids? If the downgrade was initiated by Microids and the reason was censoring this one drawing, was this crazy turn of events somehow related with Sony? I don't know was this feud all about, but Sony and Microids had some censoring issues years ago.
mr.editor

Return to Site Suggestions