Index ⇒ Site Suggestions ⇒ Gore's free now

Think you have a suggestion to make? Feel free to post it here!

Moderator: LW Moderator

Gore's free now

Postby Narfous » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:59 am

Narfous

Postby AD » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:38 am

Narfous, why are you so prone to creating irrelevant threads in 'Site Suggestions' section?
Last edited by AD on Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
My gratitude goes to all contributors. :up:
-> Please help me find <-
AD

Re: Gore's free now

Postby freakboy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:57 am

freakboy

Postby Narfous » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:49 am

AD wrote:Narfous, why are you so prone to creating irrelevant threads in 'Site Suggestions' section?

It is relevant
Are you freaking blind
Narfous

Postby AD » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:08 pm

Narfous wrote:Are you freaking blind
Boy, have some respect. No, I'm not blind. But it is a disadvantage regarding your posts. I hope to read a site suggestion, but every thread you start here is anything but that.
What is this one, a spam?
AD

Postby MasteromaN » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:40 am

Thanks Narfous, but I already saw that news on FilePlanet the 22nd. And AD, that thread could have helped me so what Narfous did isn't bad ; it's more you who have useless posts in this thread.
I know both of you are in "war" because of Ubersoldier. Please stop that now.
MasteromaN

Postby InsaneFury » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:44 am

Sure it's relevant, Gore has been updated & released as freeware from the official site. I would say that's worth a mention (and download link) on the 3DSL site. :P
Last edited by InsaneFury on Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InsaneFury
3DSL Moderator

Postby zobraks » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:24 pm

What is this section of the forum for: suggestions ABOUT/FOR the site or suggestions BY/FROM the site?
:huh:

In the first case Narfous's post is out of place, in the second it's at the right place.
zobraks

Free... with strings attached

Postby AD » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:11 pm

MasteromaN, InsaneFury
Ughmmm, sorry. I guess I just couldn't make out any suggestions from his posts here. One was even moved eventually. My bad. Will be more extrapolative next time.

Narfous, no *war*, that's so stupid. Just please don't be so frenzied when you post in my respect.

=========================================================================================

Regarding the subject:
I do not know much about "Gore: Ultimate Soldier" (2002) release and won't comment on it at the moment.
As for "Gore: Special Edition" (2008) I would like to elaborate on what I consider a premiumware scam(*).

This supposedly free game has several vital gameplay features available only to premium players: radar for seeing locations of your teammates and flags in CTF, ability to see health and armor of teammates, etc.
"Gore" site wrote:... various great, select features in the future will be available exclusively to users who have a Premium Key.
... "premium keys" which players can purchase to unlock extra features not available to free players.

Premium Key costs *only* $19.99.

If one player paid real money for opportunity to buy virtual weapon in MMORPG for the price ten times lower than others have to pay in that virtual world, that's one thing. But if others (non-premium members), even if spent ten times more time in the game, are forbidden to buy that weapon at any price, they are clearly treated as inferior.

Free humiliation by paying members - quite probably, but never a free full experience.
So what you get is a notion of the gameplay, etc., but you can't consider yourself playing on par until you paid for locked features.
There is multitude of online titles exploiting similar "free" scheme/scam. I tried some (e.g. BiteFight) and shortly realised that as a free player I suffered severe discrimination.
All of such games promote exclusivity for premium subscribers. And when free players are deprived in some areas of gameplay this is not a free game. When playing a game feels like being crippled, something is really wrong with the whole "free" idea.

The general concept is that sooner or later you will find yourself systematically abused by premiums with those unavailable elite features, simply because you are an easy target. And as you play further it gets worse, since on higher levels you meet more premiums and more disbalance. The whole pain caused by this was carefully planned beforehand with a view to indirectly force free players to give up and become premiums (and get their revenge harassing yesterday's fellow sufferers).

The marker for this type of trickery are exclusive features and limitations that substantially influence gameplay for non-paying members and go beyond time-saving, unique look and other adjuvant additions.

So, for my money, this game is free as in scam, not free as in freeware.
They push "fun" word everywhere on the site, but I believe you'll end up with frustration until you pay for premium fun.

The only part that is really free is singleplayer. But since it was not the designer's goal, there's little chance singleplayer mode may be entertaining (and several reviews prove that). So that's not a great deal to receive it for free.

All in all I hate such online scams of a game - not because they require payment, but because they are advertised as free. And as such waste time and bring dissatisfaction to millions of ordinary players, who, when they started, never knew that to escape innate disadvantages they would eventially have either to pay or to quit playing.

-------------------
* Premiumware is a type of shareware that, while posing as free fully-capable product, deliberately misses some of important features available only to "premium" (i.e. paying) users.
AD

Postby Tadrio » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:21 am

I wouldn't go as far as calling it a scam. But they're certainly fame bitches. The "free" thing is obviously just to profit from the added publicity you get when you call it "free".

Thing like that will wear off, I guess. Look at music, for example: there too, the times where you could make the headlines just because you were releasing your album for free on the Internet are over, because now everyone has been doing it to cash in on the publicity.

A good counter-example are the games by OGPlanet, I think. I haven't played them much, but it seems that the purchasable additions are really just that - additions, and although as a free player you can do a lot less fancy stuff, at least you are not handicapped gameplay-wise.
Tadrio

Re: Free... with strings attached

Postby InsaneFury » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:21 pm

AD wrote:MasteromaN, InsaneFury
Regarding the subject:
I do not know much about "Gore: Ultimate Soldier" (2002) release and won't comment on it at the moment.
As for "Gore: Special Edition" (2008) I would like to elaborate on what I consider a premiumware scam(*).

This supposedly free game has several vital gameplay features available only to premium players: radar for seeing locations of your teammates and flags in CTF, ability to see health and armor of teammates, etc.

-------------------
* Premiumware is a type of shareware that, while posing as free fully-capable product, deliberately misses some of important features available only to "premium" (i.e. paying) users.
Well even though the 'Special Edition' features the Radar for paying customers, this doesn't completely mean that non-paying customers get a crippled game:
The Gore: Enhanced Edition is enhanced with features like a radar, especially for paying customers.
The Gore: Ultimate Soldier release as-is is made freeware, with all the features of the original game and then some.

So, the 'original' Gore Ultimate Soldier is 'free' now, hence the added value for the 3DSL site. Though it doesn't have things like a radar, the original 2002 release didn't have that either. ;)

InsaneFury
3DSL Moderator

Postby I_AM » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:32 pm

I couldn't just this to install, all it would do was keep prompting me for a key. Freeware? hah.
Oh well, the game sucks anyway.
"Archimedes Elite, regarded by many as the best ever version." - Ian Bell, co-author of Elite
I_AM

Postby AD » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:55 am

I_AM
The author is so greedy that he ran out of free keys (!) recently.
AD

Postby hfric » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:17 am

wrong topic :P
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby I_AM » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:01 pm

AD wrote:I_AM
The author is so greedy that he ran out of free keys (!) recently.

Oh.. :|
I just checked the website and read the news post. I won't be bothering to try again anyway.
"Archimedes Elite, regarded by many as the best ever version." - Ian Bell, co-author of Elite
I_AM

Return to Site Suggestions