Index ⇒ Site Suggestions ⇒ Midwinter {1989}

Think you have a suggestion to make? Feel free to post it here!

Moderator: LW Moderator

Midwinter {1989}

Postby hfric » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Code: Select all
http://www.mobygames.com/game/midwinter

Midwinter is a 1st Person strategy/role playing game with some first person shooting, and a unique story line. Attempt to defeat "General Masters" by blowing up his headquarters but first get past a multitude of patrols,recruiting new characters as you go,defeating cunning terrain,sabotaging enemy installations and a whole host of other options.

Controlling up to 32 characters, you must defend an immense playing area of over 160,000 square miles. You can ski, hang-glide, snow-buggy or travel by cable car across glacial landscape, shooting, sniping and sabotaging the intruders as you go.

Utilising a fractal generated landscape Midwinter submerged the player in a landscape of snowy peaks and desolate plains.

Code: Select all
http://www.abandonwaredos.com/abandonware-game.php?gid=NDY2
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby Balg()rG » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:33 pm

Tried playing this in various emulators, on the Amiga and others....I dont think I tried the dos version.

Thing is, I couldnt work out what on earth I was meant to do? Or even how to move ! ! Is the dos version any better?

Apparently the first game to give you a usable sniper scope.
Balg()rG
Advanced Member

Postby Balg()rG » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:33 pm

Would be good to see some more early fps's listed here ;-)
Balg()rG
Advanced Member

Postby hfric » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:38 pm

Balg()rG wrote:Tried playing this in various emulators, on the Amiga and others....I dont think I tried the dos version.

Thing is, I couldnt work out what on earth I was meant to do? Or even how to move ! ! Is the dos version any better?

Apparently the first game to give you a usable sniper scope.

finished it yesterday , played with a mouse in Dosbox with 3000cycles the VGA version

works fine if you use mouse , left move , right stop , middle button shoot/throw grenades

well the game is simple , its like the GRAND DAD OF GTA ... game mechanics are the same like "The Saboteur" from 2009 , yes you read right
you go from village to village by foot,air or tracks :P recruiting agents (map screen with the button agents) , buying dynamite and blowing the shitzor from radio stations , military buildings to find the BIG BOSS and then snipe him.... it took me 10 min to learn the mechanics (and NO i didn't read the 192 pages long manual - OMG are you kidding... guessed the stuff i should do and played it like in the good old amiga dayz of warez when without a manual) , 2h to complete the whole game

well it plays like TRANSARCTICA but you don't drive a friking aZZ of train
Last edited by hfric on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby hfric » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:41 pm

whats wrong with the forum today , i get some strange lag errors and well i am forced to click twice to post a comment
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby Egon68 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:32 am

Pretty sure I have this as original 3.5" floppy. It's part of a compilation called Quest & Glory.
Nunc est bibendum!
Egon68

Return to Site Suggestions