Index ⇒ General Topics ⇒ OUTCAST pc game

Thoughts on life, the universe and everything else not covered in other categories.

Moderator: LW Moderator

OUTCAST pc game

Postby oldman » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:35 pm

remember this ?:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/open-outcast
it was outcast in the crysis engine.(it's still being worked on)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well apparently there's an official HD remake of outcast in the works:

http://www.openoutcast.org/board/viewto ... 191&t=3178
http://www.gamona.de/games/outcast,exkl ... 09019.html
oldman

Re: OUTCAST pc game

Postby Scaryfun » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:23 pm

Yay, good to hear. Hope it gets funded on kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ou ... d?ref=live
But seems as if it's a different team than OpenOutcast ...why don't they join forces?
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby oldman » Thu May 01, 2014 7:40 pm

I think(unless i misread) that the team who made the original game are going to make the new HD version.

Though the guys making the cryengine port seem more than capable of contributing.
They would have to be ready to work to a deadline ,probably.
The modders are probably working normal jobs and modding when they find the time.
Coz that cryengine mod has been going a long time.
oldman

Postby Swimmin » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:29 pm

Blast from the pa.. uhh... future:

Well, that kickstarter failed, but around dec 2014 the devs released Outcast 1.1 (largely compiled from original sources, but now with HD resolution and multi-threaded voxel engine and controller-support) and the best of all, GOG members who purchased Outcast Classic (as it's now called on GOG) get the Outcast 1.1 for free on top of the Outcast Classic!

:thanks:

(Also it's on steam, but (contrary to GOG) they never give anything back to the DosBox project :x so who cares about steam right? :D )

PS: I'm happy that they did this (voxel-based recompile) because since 2006 I was already painfully aware (as a fan, wanting more) of the beauty that was already hidden in the original Outcast after I had seen the fan-made voxel-mapviewer for Outcast in high res on 'just' a P4 2Ghz: http://and.intercon.ru/releases/fanstuff/oclf/ , in fact, I think it would be smart if Fresh3D let this dev collaborate as he had some very nice tweaks/tricks/improvements.. )
Swimmin

The following user would like to thank Swimmin for this post
oldman

Postby oldman » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:17 pm

Outcast was a great game.
I was playing the enhanced Turok the other day and was thinking a lot of these older games had something really special.
The atmosphere ,the audio +gameplay ,they still play well today.
oldman

Postby hfric » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:05 am

oldman wrote:Outcast was a great game.
I was playing the enhanced Turok the other day and was thinking a lot of these older games had something really special.
those older games had good Sound and Music design , thats why you love them so much ... new games are now just bling ... no good VO , no memorable music , no good sound mix ... the first thing you remember Deus Ex for was... music ... then story , then design , then graphics ... older games knew they did not had the graphics to make you believe it was real , but if it would SOUND REAL ...heck ... now its all about FPS 60 this 30 that ... AA this AA that ... f.u.c.k that , music makes a game memorable after that its the story ... then its design

show me games that are now memorable ...
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby Swimmin » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:45 pm

Hmm, Turok enhanced.. cool (but amazingly expensive on GOG). I liked Turok. It was the fastest/smoothest running game I had ever seen back then. Can you imagine how many games I didn't buy/like just for not running as smooth (it just set the bar).

But, yeah, hfric, you're absolutely right. The most memorable game of all time is (to me) Omikron/The Nomad Soul...
The live shows by digitalized David Bowie... The rest of the music and total atmosphere (I still taste/feel/hear it around me regularly), the 3 different engines (fight/shoot/adventure), the story (even if you jokingly start mixing reality (its just a game, I'm just a player, aren't I?) they STILL manage to turn that in to a entertaining and compelling story), the radical different way of thinking (not: get the key/push button/find door/defeat level-crook) where you really must imagine you are actually there and think of what you would do if everything was real (and then often be amazed about that you can actually do that). All this combined with an insane (for the time) free and non-linear gameplay (like, you want to go brute-force a combo-lock without learning how to open it.. no problem and the game adjusts to pretty much every 'stupid' solution I thought of).

This game was even talked about in textbooks at my school. I think it was the absolute peak of the whole game-industry, after which a lot of games tried to copy it's magic (and failed).
But I also 'blame' the game-consoles; more specifically their controllers which are absolutely fine for arcades/mazes/etc, but NOT for trying to submerge you in a living breathing fast paced alternate virtual reality. So, more cut-scenes, dumbed/slowed down ai, etc. which has seemed to become the norm (for the latter generation). I remember being hugely disappointed when finally Unreal II (PC) came out. I was expecting some weeks of gameplay (wandering/exploring/learning/surviving/fighting a virtual world) and all I got was 3-4 hours worth of a couple of 'missions', the end.

Sadly, I never managed to get 'into' Deus Ex (but tried often, just like Morrowind the elder scrolls). Is there something one should know/do/understand to really get into the story/world?
Like, for the Nomad Soul, for me the bump was understanding that it was not like regular games, to be precise: find a pharmacy, get the drugs from the prescription and drug the police-chief and also really learn the three interfaces and train your character in combat (your starting character has a fight-sim in his apartment, prepare to spend a couple of real day's in there (and download the insanely extensive list of combat-move combo's, for me the capoeira moves worked very fine, but be aware, button-bashing gets you nowhere, you really need to fight/interact with your opponent: counter, block, evade and attack and then remorselessly finish the opponents off).
Swimmin

Postby yamibito » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:12 am

hfric wrote:
oldman wrote:Outcast was a great game.
those older games had good Sound and Music design , thats why you love them so much ... new games are now just bling ... no good VO , no memorable music , no good sound mix ... the first thing you remember Deus Ex for was... music ... then story , then design , then graphics ... older games knew they did not had the graphics to make you believe it was real , but if it would SOUND REAL ...heck ... now its all about FPS 60 this 30 that ... AA this AA that ... f.u.c.k that , music makes a game memorable after that its the story ... then its design

show me games that are now memorable ...

I Shall Remain http://store.steampowered.com/app/293460/ is very much memorable, thanks to its fantastic music and sounds. Game itself is great.
But you are absolutely right, nearly none of today's games is memorable...
Music and sound design in older games made them so gooood: Siren series (my favorite japanese horror game franchise), Condemned, both The Suffering games, F.E.A.R. Doom 3 are great examples of fantastic sound design...
"Here at least
We shall be free; the Almighty hath not built
Here for his envy, will not drive us hence:
Here we may reign secure; and, in my choice,
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven…"
yamibito

Return to General Topics