Index ⇒ General Topics ⇒ Prince of Persia The Two Thrones is censored???

Thoughts on life, the universe and everything else not covered in other categories.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Prince of Persia The Two Thrones is censored???

Postby hgdagon » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:54 pm

HIDE: ON
You need to reply to this topic before you can view the hidden message

HIDE: ON
You need to reply to this topic before you can view the hidden message

Could someone explain this to me?
hgdagon

The following user would like to thank hgdagon for this post
bocliovi, menten, oldman

Re: Prince of Persia The Two Thrones is censored???

Postby Scaryfun » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:00 am

This is what i found when i looked it up. It was initially released in the US an uncensored version (there's blood splatter and you are able to decapitate enemies, and cut off their limbs) but then they censored it. The only uncensored version is the one with starforce. Almost all digital download sites have the censored version.
Seems the GOG DRM-free version was supplied by UbiSoft with the scene release crack...and since the crack for the retail version was made from a European copy it censors the game in the US as well, as Europe always had the censored version. So the ONLY way to play it uncensored is to use the original 3 CD release and not crack it, which means Starforce on Windows 7.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby Shattered » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:43 am

I've checked the new GOG installer v2.0.0.5 and it contains the same .exe as v1.0. So it still contains the crack from team RELOADED.

The folks at UBI or GOG removed the references to RELOADED from the .exe and packed it with UPX. If you unpack pop3.exe it will have the same size as the cracked .exe. Compare the GOG and RELOADED .exes in Total Commander or a hex editor and you'll see that the text RELOADED put in has been removed from the GOG .exe.

The GOG release also contains the amir.dll file from RELOADED.

Conclusion: the information on GOG Wiki is false.

There's also a thread about it on the GOG forum:

Code: Select all
http://www.gog.com/forum/prince_of_persia_series/two_thrones_is_it_the_uncensored_version
Shattered
3DSL Moderator

Postby hgdagon » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:25 pm

Scaryfun wrote:Seems the GOG DRM-free version was supplied by UbiSoft with the scene release crack...

I wonder why would they do that...

OK. If I get the GOG version the replace the .exe with the one from the retail will it fix it? If so, are there any fixed images for the US version (or can you tell me how to make it myself), 'cause I really don't want to mount the whole 700mb
hgdagon

Postby Shattered » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:58 pm

There's a mini image on GameCopyWorld:

http://gamecopyworld.eu/games/pc_prince_of_persia_3.shtml#Prince%20of%20Persia:%20The%20Two%20Thrones%20[ENGLISH]%20No-DVD/Fixed%20Image

I don't know if it works or if it's for the EU or US version.

I tried running the uncensored version on Windows 7, but it didn't work. The SF drivers are blocked by Windows 7, so the game doesn't start. I already tried updating the SF drivers with the update tool, without any success. I have Windows 7 64-bit, maybe it works on 32-bit.
Shattered
3DSL Moderator

Postby hgdagon » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:18 pm

I'm one of the unlucky ones who're still on XP. So, I 'll give it a go, thanks.
hgdagon

Postby Shattered » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:46 am

I gave it a try on XP in VMware. Now SF says the OS isn't supported. Strange.
Shattered
3DSL Moderator

Postby 3dslUserLoad » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:29 pm

@hgdagon - why do you disable your message in your initial view?
---
Here is a site with information about censorship of the game (it's in German):
http://www.schnittberichte.com/schnittb ... hp?ID=3475
3dslUserLoad

Postby hgdagon » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:30 am

3dslUserLoad wrote:@hgdagon - why do you disable your message in your initial view?

I'm sorry?
hgdagon

Postby hgdagon » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:36 am

OK, I compared the GOG release (not the one that's here, I downloaded the latest 2.0.0.5 version, I don't know which version is posted here) to the "Censored" EU Budget Release and the only difference was a US subfolder in Menu folder,which is missing from the GOG release, which on its own is already strange. And yes the executable was different, a pop3.dat(ProtectioniD detected it as "StarForceFileSystem (SFFS) container") and an amir.dll exist in GOG version. Also, despite what NFO says, the EU release ran perfectly fine without the DVD mounted, and I saw no Starforce-specific files on the DVD/in the game folder. Will compare to the US uncensored version next.
hgdagon

Postby hgdagon » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:01 am

So, I compared it with the US version. amir.dll as well as pop3.dat are present here, which only proves the fact that the EU budget release comes without Starforce and, apparently, not even CD-checks.The Menu folder is empty in the US release. All this brought me not even an inch closer to finding a way to uncensor the game....

There was a guy, though, who managed to do something:

Hi Everyone

I have uploaded an update for people to test out on their PC DVD-rom version of POP:TTT. There are no guarantees that it will work but try it out and let me know how it goes.

I have included the files that I think should enable decaps in the PC DVD-rom version and also allow you to view the missing extra videos.

Somebody on a different forum said that you could maybe enable the decapitations with the amir.exe and amir.dll files and maybe even with the pop3.exe files so I have included these files from my original 3cd installation in a folder called 3cdexe try these files out if the files in the pop3decaps folder don’t seem to make any difference.

I have also included the fixed amir.exe and amir.dll in the pop3decaps folder. From the GAMEFAQS forum I found out from another user that all 3 of the files seem to have the same version number and that only the file size is different:

Pop3.exe - DVD 5.43MB (3CD 5.13mb)
amir.exe - DVD 15.3MB (3CD 15.2mb)
amir.dll - DVD 260kb (3CD 259kb)

Here is the download link for POP3DVDunc.rar (226mb):

Tags: prince of persia: the two thrones uncut pc dvd-rom update
Suggested tags: prince of persia: the two thrones uncut dvd update
Description: Update POP:TTT PC DVD version with the missing content
Download link: http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=35451

Please work with me on this I cant play the game at the moment as I have an old computer so could you please get back to me on this first tell me which combination of these files unlocks the missing features so that maybe I could just re-upload only the required files in a new .rar archive.

Also how many files does your artwork gallery have I did not check this with the other user? At the moment I have uninstalled my 3cd version so I will have to reinstall it in order to find out.

If the files included dont work?
Depending on which version you have there could be an installed file which tells the system to load the censored\uncensored content for the game. This file could be another .dll or a different file installed in an unkown location.

Check the included .txt file before attempting to modify anything.

The link, as you can see, is dead. The filename search doesn't brings up anything useful. So, unless someone has the file, there's no hope. Well other that a very very nostalgic cracker someday cracks the US exe.
hgdagon

Postby Shattered » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:51 pm

hgdagon wrote:Also, despite what NFO says, the EU release ran perfectly fine without the DVD mounted

If that's the version I uploaded then I'm curious. I've tested it on 3 different machines + OS (XP, Vista & 7) and in all cases the game required the disc to be in the drive (full install).
Shattered
3DSL Moderator

Postby hgdagon » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:13 pm

Um... Yes. I ran it just fine. I even played a little, up to the part when you get the dagger. I'm on XP.

I also had the GOG version installed on the same drive (C:\), but I don't think it could've made any difference...
hgdagon

Postby RhymeKidder » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:10 am

There's a 2015 update about this problem. An unprotected US exe + mini-image are posted - not tested. ^^

http://cs.rin.**/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=66985
RhymeKidder

Postby Shattered » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:00 am

That "Unprotected US exe" is coming from the GOG version:

http://gamecopyworld.eu/games/pc_prince_of_persia_3.shtml#Prince%20of%20Persia:%20The%20Two%20Thrones%20v1.0%20[US/ENGLISH]%20UnProtected%20EXE

Which is actually the crack from RELOADED for the EU version.
Shattered
3DSL Moderator

Next

Return to General Topics