Index ⇒ General Topics ⇒ Somewhat OT - 80s Usborne Computer Books Online

Thoughts on life, the universe and everything else not covered in other categories.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Somewhat OT - 80s Usborne Computer Books Online

Postby Steve » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:46 pm

SUMMARY
I've lived long enough to remember the era of when you needed to type in your own computer games from monthly computer magazines or books that you bought at a brick-and-mortar store (It's true... All of it). The agony of a program not working once you finally typed in all 20+ pages of code and the thrill of victory when you finally figured out which line you had typed incorrectly (or even the thrill of great victory when you had typed out an entire program and got it to run perfectly on the very first try). While the 1980s Usborne brand of computer books holds no nostalgia for me (I was more of an Atari magazines / David Ahl's Basic Computer Games kind-of-guy), it does hold a lot of nostalgia if you were in the UK or owned a UK-centric computer, such as a ZX Spectrum. Well, the 1980s are now a long time ago (30+ years) and the computer code in those books are now nothing more than "10 goto 20" quaint. As a kind gesture (and maybe because Usborne is also now selling new books that cater to modern programming languages), these older programming books are now free to download and enjoy. So, if you've got a special place in your heart for those programs that used to be measured in "K" instead of "Gig," here's your chance to browse them once more from the convenience of your computer. Now if only Bethesda will print out all of the source code to make "Skyrim" and put that into a book (or several)...

LINK
http://www.usborne.com/catalogue/featur ... books.aspx
Steve

Return to General Topics