Index ⇒ General Topics ⇒ How to share a single file/folder from 4shared?

Thoughts on life, the universe and everything else not covered in other categories.

Moderator: LW Moderator

How to share a single file/folder from 4shared?

Postby Ghost81 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:29 am

Hey guys, so I have a 4shared folder with multiple subfolders and sometimes I want to send someone a download link. Here's my problem: I don't want the other person to be able to go up one folder and access the rest of the stuff in the account, I only want them to be able to access the file or folder I'm sending them.

I saw that most of the 4shared links here on 3DSL don't allow to access the rest of the account, so I know it can be done. What am I doing wrong?

:thanks:
Ghost81
Advanced Member

Re: How to share a single file/folder from 4shared?

Postby Molitor » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:29 am

If you share a folder, it's impossible for visitors to access the folders that are higher in the hierarchy.
E.g: no way to access the other files here.

However, if you share a single file, the folder containing your file will be browsable by any visitor if it's not marked as private:

Be careful when you share files that are at the root of your 4shared account, in this case visitors may access every folder that aren't private.
The only workaround I can think of is have one file per folder when you want to share individual files.
Molitor
3DSL Moderator

Postby Ghost81 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:50 pm

Molitor wrote:If you share a folder, it's impossible for visitors to access the folders that are higher in the hierarchy.
E.g: no way to access the other files here.

Try clicking the little up-arrow button under "Download as zip" and to the left of "Name". What happens when you do? Because every time I try, it sends me up to the root folder with everything visible, even if I'm logged out :(
Ghost81
Advanced Member

Postby Meddle » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Your other option is upload whatever you want to share to another site (if your goal is for that other person(s) not to see your other files). Multiup.org (and others like it) is nice because you can push the file out once and whoever you give the link to can choose which hosting service they want to download from.
Meddle

The following user would like to thank Meddle for this post
Ghost81

Postby Molitor » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:13 pm

Ghost81 wrote:Try clicking the little up-arrow button under "Download as zip" and to the left of "Name". What happens when you do? Because every time I try, it sends me up to the root folder with everything visible, even if I'm logged out :(

Your 4shared root ("My 4shared") folder needs to be set as private: Go to More --> Share --> Set the access to "private". The folder icon will change from blue to yellow, and the Up arrow will become greyed and unusable.
NB: If you do this modification to your 4shared root folder, all its subfolders will be set to private too, and need to manually be set as public.
Molitor
3DSL Moderator

The following user would like to thank Molitor for this post
Ghost81

Postby Scaryfun » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:39 am

Just right-click on the file and choose Get links, or just click Share on 4shared's file list and you'll see url to give.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

The following user would like to thank Scaryfun for this post
Ghost81

Postby Ghost81 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:47 am

Molitor wrote:
Ghost81 wrote:Try clicking the little up-arrow button under "Download as zip" and to the left of "Name". What happens when you do? Because every time I try, it sends me up to the root folder with everything visible, even if I'm logged out :(

Your 4shared root ("My 4shared") folder needs to be set as private: Go to More --> Share --> Set the access to "private". The folder icon will change from blue to yellow, and the Up arrow will become greyed and unusable.
NB: If you do this modification to your 4shared root folder, all its subfolders will be set to private too, and need to manually be set as public.

This did it! Thanks man, and thanks to everyone who tried to help :thanks:
Ghost81
Advanced Member

Return to General Topics