Index ⇒ General Topics ⇒ Need some help guys

Thoughts on life, the universe and everything else not covered in other categories.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Need some help guys

Postby Hellsgate » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:04 am

had a major crash last week that wiped out my XP partition from starting up - the crash created a phantom drive (maybe due to the mp3 player plugged in at the time) and I had too reformat to (FAT32) and reinstall XP all over again - NOW when booting to XP on fresh install it loads XP for few seconds and goes into check disk - XP won't load at all on fresh install - the only difference between this time and many other times I've reinstalled XP is I have 1gb of memory - -would that stop XP loading
No Flesh Shall be Spared
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hellsgate

Postby Lifeforce » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:13 am

:( i dont have XP but my friend does.After his last hdd crash (NTFS was corrupted -> no booting) he used KNOPPIX for booting and that fixed it. Dont know any other XP repair tricks, sorry...
Lifeforce

Postby Hellsgate » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:23 am

well it's not formatted to ntfs as both partitions are FAT32 - duel boot of win98se/XP - done this way to recover data from XP if and when XP crashs - but I also got a problem in 98se as in a memory leek and can't for the love of hell find where or what is doing it - 1gb of mem sucked to 100mb in seconds - I HATE MS and BILL CAN GOTO FU*KING HELL :-x
No Flesh Shall be Spared
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hellsgate

Postby jjim » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:30 am

HG - I know that win 98 cannot use more than 256mb ram . Usually any extra ram is just unused rather than causing a problem. Your dual boot setup may be causing the problem tho. Try taking out a stick of 512 and see what happens. I guess you've run check disk with no errors on both partitions - might need a total drive reformat of both partitions :cry:
It is also possible that your new ram is faulty - i saw recently somewhere on the net a memory check prog that tests your physical ram hardware - sorry can't remember the name of it.
good luck :)
jjim

Postby Narfous » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:38 am

jjim wrote:HG - I know that win 98 cannot use more than 256mb ram

hmm, i've ran it with 327mb of ram without a problem
Narfous

Postby jjim » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:16 am

Narfous wrote:
jjim wrote:HG - I know that win 98 cannot use more than 256mb ram

hmm, i've ran it with 327mb of ram without a problem

You can have as much as you like - but 98 won't physically use more than 256. :)
jjim

Postby ruiya75 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:00 am

Yes, the newer motherboards with more tham 256 MB ram have a lot of problem with win98 SE. I faced this problem a few months ago. The install runs fine, PC boots fine but there were unneessary freezing at any time. I tried several tricks available on net but failed to succeeded.
ruiya75

Postby Hellsgate » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:12 am

lol well 98se boots fine with 1gb but not 1.3gb - but still I can't figure out why on this god forsaken world why XP now won't Fuc*ing boot at all - re fromated drive twice - installed XP twice - on boot menu - I boot to xp - XP loads for few seconds then drops to scandisk - scandisk finds nothing then resets comp - this is just a BAD sick LOOP - win98se boots fine - the phantom drive in 98se is gone so that was caused by the XP crash - formatting that partition fixed that - looks like it's get another 80gb hd and redo both OS's on fresh HD - this is driving me insane :-x :-x :-x
No Flesh Shall be Spared
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hellsgate

Postby hfric » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:38 am

you are instaling win xp on fat 32 :lol: it will run but some times fat 32 make some data fragmented and corupted wen instaling win xp , try to do again a format this like i understand patriton ? to NTSC with the win xp install disk and install it , and the phatom drive i have it too have 2 hdds c: d: and phatom drive e: , so what this drive do well i think its that unused space after a partition 4 mb or win xp made so kinda ram drive .
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby Hellsgate » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:13 pm

The phantom drive was caused by the crash in Xp - reformatting XP has eliminated that and it's no longer coming up in win98se - -could this crash somehow corrupted the second partition in some way that it's possible to still reformat it.

Does XP on loading check somehow the integrety of the partition and finding something wrong drop to Scandisk as it's doing to me now?

If I go into FDisk and delete the second partition and then re-create it will this effect the 1st partition at all in any way ?????? as I'll try this later on today when i get up - then reformat and load XP back on to see what happens.

I've installed XP onto a fat32 partition 5 or 6 times before with no problems what so ever and I do it this way to recover files from XP through win98se if XP screws up - to put my trust in a MS recover APP is Insane at the least.
No Flesh Shall be Spared
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hellsgate

Postby Narfous » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:45 am

for backup, you could try burning a slax kill-bill live cd ISO for some emergency situations, provided that if you have another computer in your house on the microsoft/samba network.
Narfous

Postby A-mak » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:28 pm

Are you using the same hard drive? the WHOLE drive might be corrupted and everything might need reformatting..

Oh and i heard windows98SE was bad.. and that normal 98 was better :S

I would agree try formatting again this time with SE, you're hard drive might also be having problems, I figuire the MP3 player would be usb? something else in you're computer might be having trouble, if you can check you're ram in another computer and see if it runs fine.

Did you let Chkdisk run all the way through? you're hard drive might have bad sectors from the crash... Windows cant repair the sectors (even tho it says it does) it just "moves them to the back" or flags them so they wont be used, try getting a different sector repair program and do a scan.. either way things will run better.

Hope this helps.
A-mak

Postby Hellsgate » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:50 pm

Thx for the intelligent answer to my many Questions unlike some - anyway I tried removing my new ram (Like Jjim suggested above)stick after last XP boot fail and what you FRIKIN know XP boots - -gonna do some tests with ram stick later today see if it's the problem or way I stuck it in - but what got me was 98se worked fine apart from the bloody mem leek - 5 days of pain to find out it's the ram :x :x :x
No Flesh Shall be Spared
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hellsgate

Postby Narfous » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:43 pm

A-mak wrote:Oh and i heard windows98SE was bad.. and that normal 98 was better :S

not really true. The original 98 and it's beta had HUGE memory footprints making it unusable on systems with 32mb of ram.

it also bsod's alot more
Narfous

Postby hurenBock » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:36 am

sounds hard i would turn crazy when my whole OS has been wiped out
from one second to another

try google or something i know this isnt a real tip but i would try it
Idiots are just like the weather. You have to live with it.
hurenBock

Next

Return to General Topics