Index ⇒ 3D Shooter Mods/Addons ⇒ English Translations for Neuro (2006) and The Hunt (2007)

Let us know any popular mods that should be added to our site or inquiries about those here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

English Translations for Neuro (2006) and The Hunt (2007)

Postby wkduffy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:26 am

Regarding FPS games Neuro (2006) and The Hunt (2007): I just found both these Russian-only games, looked around for English translations and finding none, decided to translate them myself. Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this info.

Just wanted to let anyone know who might be interested:

1. The file links below are on my own website. I'll leave them there for a while. Feel free to spread them around at will if the need is there. I don't care. There are 2 .rar files, one for Neuro and one for The Hunt. The Neuro .rar extracts to 2 separate folders (one for subtitle translations, and another for the English menu overlay). The Hunt .rar extracts to one subtitles folder.

2. These are not executables, but a few dozen .txt files and a few .tga graphics files.

3. Placing them into the appropriate locations in the game directory and overwriting seems to work (the first 20 minutes of my games are stable anyway). In each folder, I've also put text files with directions/locations where the files need to go. Remember to backup your original files if you are attempting this before overwriting.

4.I don't know Russian, but I am an English professor. So, using Google translator (and my best guestimate in some instances), I've got what seems to be playable (and, more importantly, mostly understandable) English versions of these games. NOTE: There may still be some on-screen Russian that remains untranslated, and I know there is some spoken Russian in each game that had no corresponding subtitle file. Of course, these will remain untranslated in the respective games. But most of it is there in English, I think. And of course, all speech in the game remains in Russian. None of the audio files were changed. These are only on-screen text changes. Also note, you may have to tick the "show subtitles" box in the game menu (usually on the Sound menu) for the subs to show on screen.

5. If I've duplicated someone else's effort, apologies. But I play videogames for the stories mostly, and without English translations, forget it. I cannot vouch for the quality or the stability of either game--as I mentioned, I've only tested 20 mins. of each (and the games themselves might suck!), but after a lot of crashing and after 60 or so hours rewriting subtitle files and menu files, I am relatively certain I have a working solution here. Anyone want to improve on it, it's all yours. Cheers. Links are below.

NEURO (2005) ENGLISH TRANSLATION
http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/w/k ... lation.rar

THE HUNT (2007) ENGLISH TRANSLATION
http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/w/k ... lation.rar
Last edited by wkduffy on Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wkduffy

Postby hfric » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:33 pm

if I could, i would hug you and kiss you right now, to show you how awesome you are :)
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby Scaryfun » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:58 pm

Awesome work! :woot:
Some foreign language games can be stumbled through or with the aid of a walkthrough can be completed but definitely if important information is relayed through writing or speech then things can be missed. Plus it adds greatly to the atmosphere if you know what people are saying.

I will reup these files on 4shared with credit to you, of course. Thanks so much!
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby wkduffy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:52 pm

Make good use of them! I'm properly starting Neuro now. I hope the game was worth the effort of translation. The only way I could translate the menu in Neuro was to overlay "non-clickable" English words alongside the clickable Russian menu items--so it's all kinda ugly-looking, but it is at least readable. Cheers!
wkduffy

Postby Virgil » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:17 pm

Aspiring linguist here. I can give you a hand with correcting translation, if you want. I know Russian quite good or they say so.
Virgil

Postby wkduffy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:36 pm

Thanks for the offer. Knowing Russian, you're one up on me. My Ph.D. is in composition (postsecondary writing pedagogy), and stylistically I was able to iron out most of the warped verbage spat out by the Google Translation Kit (I quite frequently have to iron out warped verbage of students, so I've got lots of practice at it). But every so often (more often than I liked) there were lines that were completely baffling that I couldn't make heads or tails of (especially in The Hunt). So your skills could come in very handy. As the translations stand now, I expect there are some vague (and perhaps unintentionally hilarious) goofs throughout! I'm going to try my hand at translating "Evil Resistance: Morning of the Dead" (which I am told, by a Russian speaker who examined the cover art, more specifically translates into something like "Moscow and the Dead," which I think is much cooler). But I need a bit of downtime before undertaking it. Any problematic lines I come by though, I will definitely contact you, or post them here for you to examine. Thanks again!
wkduffy

Postby Scaryfun » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:55 am

That sounds good; looking forward to it. :)
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby wkduffy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:24 pm

Sure thing. I am now about 1.5 hrs. into Neuro and the translation files seem to be working fine. But I have noticed that when the characters get blabbing on screen, some of the subs can flick by real fast. Speed reading your way through a game! It's a new sport....
wkduffy

Postby Scaryfun » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:41 pm

By the way, there is also a translation of The Hunt available on 3DSl that was done by Doomed Space Marine. Maybe the two can be compared to get a better version hopefully.
Also, I was informed that a French version of the game called Traqué by Anuman Interactive came out this year that has English voices. http://www.nofrag.com/2010/mai/03/34444/
So, the translation patch can be added to that to get a completely English version. :D
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby wkduffy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:58 pm

English spoken "Traque" very cool. I'll be getting that, though it is pricey for overseas shipping (total cost to U.S. about $43). Doomed Space Marine's translation is an ecrypted .rar, so haven't had a chance to compare. I will post "Evil Resistance" translation eventually; actually the English text files (for most of the game) are already there, just not active, so I'm renaming files to change that. Only problem: The introduction and epilogue fmv's, there are no subs on screen. So, I'm trying to re-encode the .ogg movie files and place subs on top of them. Not sure what the quality will be, though they should be readable (and the two movie files are only small parts of the game at the beginning and end, so no big deal if quality is iffy). Thanks again.
wkduffy

Return to 3D Shooter Mods/Addons