Index ⇒ General Topics ⇒ Who here watches Star Trek?

Thoughts on life, the universe and everything else not covered in other categories.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Who here watches Star Trek?

Postby Delacroix » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:29 am

Coz I started.

I have some previous experience with the Voyager series and maybe two or three first movies but I barely remember all that now. I plan to rewatch. Currently done watching first season of Discovery. It's nowhere near the dumpster fire the user reviews on MetaCritic make it out to be, IMO. In fact it's really decent. I'm almost done downloading the rest of the shows and I plan to see it all.

Any trekkies here to share impressions with?
Delacroix

Re: Who here watches Star Trek?

Postby Scaryfun » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:40 am

I watched the original series as a kid and have seen all the movies....as a trend, the even numbered movies are the better ones.
I only watched a few of the Next Generation series, I never got hooked.
I liked both seasons of Discovery, but first season was better than second. You can tell they spent a lot of money on it, the sets and effects are impressive.
Picard has started off slow and I don't have much knowledge of Next Generation characters. It looks cheaper, but he hasn't gone into space yet.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby Delacroix » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:45 am

I am afraid Picard might not be the show for you if you never got hooked into TNG since it acts as a sequel to its story arc (including movies, last one to star those characters was Nemesis IIRC). Unless you want to give it another shot, that is.

I didn't watch Discovery S2 yet but I plan to do that soon. Supposedly after Season 3 we'll get a new series focusing on the mirror universe's Philippa Georgiou. Good. Loved the character, she has some bite.
Delacroix

Postby annoyment » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:11 am

Only seen most of TNG (plus some of its movies) on telly, and it was great fun :D wasn't really hooked on all else - except maybe TOS (yet to bother watching) based on them maymays, and also a movie or two from that saga, and that's about it :!: Ain't a trekkie in a long shot, but can keep a ball rolling if need be :wacko:
"Hellos, plz help with this, will help backward." -Wimpy
annoyment

Postby hfric » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:17 pm

i would say the new series Picard is too woke , and the constant pushing of some agenda is facepalming ... even Star Trek Voyager was not like that , when the captain was Female ...
if you ask me about star trek ... never liked the original series , only the movies ... the first 3 where great , part 4 meh , part 5 and 6 passable ... and that would be it , if not back in 1996 when i came back from work and from boredom turned the TV , and it spitted a random german channel "SAT1" with few reruns of The Next Generation ...dunno what season ... did not cared , but the scripts where great and it got you hooked ... when it ended it showed "Deep Space Nine" and it was also good , same with "Voyager" ... all on Sat1 ... After that Sat1 was a internal battle with viewership :lol: on one side RTLII with Stargate and at the same time another fine scifi TV series Farscape ... fans nearly got a heart attack when those two series combined and the cast from Farscape was the lead in Stargate :lol:

After that i watched Enterprise , since liked the Cast and the scripts where ok-ish ... (mostly because liked Scott Bakula , the actor that played in Quantum Leap ) ... and about "Discovery" oh boy , what a load of trash this was a more in-depth why its awful you should watch Red Letters Media review of it
Code: Select all
www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpHbLewg79c
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby hfric » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:24 pm

oh and don't watch BattleStar Galactica REboot\movies\etc.. ... what a load of crap it was ... imagine the Bible Moses journey remade as a Scifi ... that in a nutshell is BattleStar Galactica ... time i will never get back , pure awfulness ... just like the TV series LOST ... that was about the Garden of EDEN ...
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby Delacroix » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:11 am

Too late, I watched the entire of the 2003 Galactica, the TV series, the bonus movies, the works. I actually liked it very much.

As for Discovery, IMO it's not trash, I'm liking it too and I've seen many reviews advising me not to. Guess nobody will decide what opinion on a show I should have lol.

Dunno about Picard and its agenda pushing since I haven't watched it yet but I'll save it for the place before last. The last are going to be the JJAbrams movies since they're part of a different timeline.
Delacroix

Postby hfric » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:54 pm

Delacroix wrote:Too late, I watched the entire of the 2003 Galactica, the TV series, the bonus movies, the works. I actually liked it very much.

As for Discovery, IMO it's not trash, I'm liking it too and I've seen many reviews advising me not to. Guess nobody will decide what opinion on a show I should have lol.

Dunno about Picard and its agenda pushing since I haven't watched it yet but I'll save it for the place before last. The last are going to be the JJAbrams movies since they're part of a different timeline.

there are in the same timeline, part 2 with two Spocks will show you this ...
Code: Select all
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-A2nIi8YcsAg/TlYwIwsqMkI/AAAAAAAAB_0/wmDoTTb0wcc/s1600/spock_and_spockprime_pb02.jpg

the thing about you liking Discovery ... stands from you seeing it before the other shows , that are script\story wise 20x better ...
same with "Babylon 5" , that to this day has a hardcore fanbase for its scripts, acting and execution ...
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby annoyment » Mon May 18, 2020 8:47 am

Best of luck ever nabbing PIBF7075 tho :(
EDITL FFS, is anything out of reach of DnDler's grasp :?: :lol: :thanks: :hug:
HIDE: ON
You need to reply to this topic before you can view the hidden message
"Hellos, plz help with this, will help backward." -Wimpy
annoyment