Index ⇒ Games Support ⇒ [SOLVED]Kurogane no Houkou 2 & 3 on Windows 10

Trouble playing a game? Game not running well? Ask help here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Re: [SOLVED]Kurogane no Houkou 2 & 3 on Windows 10

Postby Supernova » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:13 am

XCOMJunkie wrote:However, when I try to run the wsc3.exe to get the program booted, nothing happens. I notice a lot of hard drive activity, but nothing actually pops up, not even an error. I must still be missing something in the setup process, but I'm not sure what it is. Any ideas?

Did you see Koei logo appear then the game closes itself shortly after? Try creating a text file named debug.ini in the same folder as game's executable and put the following there
Code: Select all
[Common]
WindowMode = 1
MovieSkip = 1

Don't forget to run it through locale emulator if your system locale isn't set to Japanese
Supernova

Postby XCOMJunkie » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:12 am

I have updated the debug.ini file as you have indicated, but it didn't seem to make any difference in making the game boot up. My system has it's locale set to Japanese as per these instructions: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/132 ... -10-a.html

I have tried to run the executable wsc3.exe by itself, as an administrator, and with the Locale Emulator software as both default and administrator, but all I get is a bit of hard drive action and nothing else. Nothing pops up on screen, not even errors.

Is there a way I should go about troubleshooting this problem? I could uninstall and record a video of my re-installation process if that might be helpful to anyone in deciphering my issue, just let me know.
XCOMJunkie

Postby Supernova » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:36 am

Perhaps the securom driver still has to be signed regardless, so download this then run the "register securom.bat" file in either x64 or x86 folder (if your windows is 64 bit I suggest ignore the x86 folder) then put the driver in system32/drivers
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VJmNXlTaAujK10xJWjM5HJfywOY1qj7R/view?usp=sharing

Oh and apologies beforehand, the secdrv.sys should belong to system32/drivers folder, NOT in system32 root folder. Might want to try that out first before re-register the driver from that link
Supernova

The following user would like to thank Supernova for this post
XCOMJunkie

Postby Meddle » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:32 pm

For my part that was just a drive-by suggestion.. I haven't tried to make this title run on my Win10 configuration. However, I am glad that my suggestion helped you at least initially.
Meddle

Postby XCOMJunkie » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:50 am

Alright, I've had a chance to try the latest recommendations from Supernova and... SUCCESS! :D It did require me to download the x64 folder and run that .bat file to register the securom driver, which I then put in the correct folder as indicated. When running the game as administrator (without locale software but WITH my Windows 10 administration locale set to Japanese) it worked like a charm. I went back to the debug.ini and tried running the game with the "MovieSkip = 1" part removed, just to see if it worked, and I'm happy to report that it still works fine. The intro movie played without issue, and the game seemed to carry on into the beginning levels.

Now that we have a working process to get this up and running, would it be possible for us to update the files on the Legends site with these updated versions and a write-up about the install procedure that now works? I'd hate for these updated discoveries to not be documented for others that might also want to check this out. I'd be happy to do the documentation if you guys would check it over?

Now that I have a copy that can run on Windows 10, I can start the REAL project: seeing if a fan-made translation is feasible. Do you guys happen to know if anyone has attempted that or if any work has been done on it? You've been around here longer, maybe you've heard something?
XCOMJunkie

Postby Supernova » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:51 am

Now that I have a copy that can run on Windows 10, I can start the REAL project: seeing if a fan-made translation is feasible. Do you guys happen to know if anyone has attempted that or if any work has been done on it? You've been around here longer, maybe you've heard something?

Nope, but you can check the modding wiki here to get the utility used to extract the game data. Personally I can't figure how to repack the extracted files back.
https://w.atwiki.jp/wsc3kai/pages/1.html
Supernova

Postby XCOMJunkie » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:05 am

Thank you, yes, that's a great recommendation... though I actually found that page before I started posting here. Seeing the mod tools made me think it MIGHT be possible to do, so that's when I came here to try getting the game going. Nothing else would matter if I couldn't at least do that much. Still not sure if it's feasible though, really depends on how they coded the game to handle text and fonts I guess. I'll poke at it a bit and see if I can change some of the japanese text for english equivalents on the simplest early-game stuff I can find. If that works, maybe there's hope.

Anyways, thanks a lot for your help with this, Supernova. Couldn't have done it without you and Meddle's advice. Really appreciated.
XCOMJunkie

Postby XCOMJunkie » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:22 am

So I've been playing around just a bit with the install order as I've been working on the documentation, and I've found that using the debug.ini and running in windowed mode is no longer necessary. It runs in fullscreen just fine, intro movie and all. We might be able to simplify this install order, unless windowed mode was doing something else that I'm not aware of? I know the previous message chain here mentions that it used to crash after the KOEI logo on startup back on Windows 7, was this just a workaround for this issue at that time?
Last edited by XCOMJunkie on Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XCOMJunkie

Postby XCOMJunkie » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:29 am

I've mocked up an installation guide detailing what we worked out here, though it's not yet complete. I need some input from Supernova on whether or not others will have to access that securom driver signing .bat file in order to get it to work for them, and would also love some input on whether I've left anything out. Please take a look at it and let me know what you think!

https://1drv.ms/t/s!ArgbNGVieOaBp2Wv86b ... 5?e=QEzGee
XCOMJunkie

Postby Terje_P » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:48 pm

Are you sure it is using Securom as opposed to Safedisc? SECDRV.sys is usually found on the CD with Safedisc protected games.
Terje_P

Postby XCOMJunkie » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:11 pm

Nope, I'm not sure of anything, personally. Supernova here is the smart one that figured it out. You'll have to wait for him. All I know is that I did what I was told and it worked.
XCOMJunkie

Postby Supernova » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:10 am

Terje_P wrote:Are you sure it is using Securom as opposed to Safedisc? SECDRV.sys is usually found on the CD with Safedisc protected games.

ah yeah, my bad it's Safedisc. Always got them both mixed.
Supernova

Postby XCOMJunkie » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:58 pm

Hey Supernova, would you mind taking a look at the tentative install document I prepared in the link listed above? I need your input on how to list installing this driver, if you would please.
XCOMJunkie

Postby Supernova » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:26 am

Extremely late reply but I just helped someone else installing the game recently and found out that you can just put the securom driver to system32/drivers right away without signing it again.
Supernova

Postby Terje_P » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:28 am

That is strange as I had to do this last time I tried to play a Safedisc game.
https://www.legendsworld.net/webroot/ph ... ead#p92444
It does seem to vary somewhat, as for some Safedisc games mounting the safedisc clone with WinCemu is enough. Again the game is Safedisc protected and not Securom, there is a diffrence.
Terje_P

Previous

Return to Games Support