Index ⇒ Games Support ⇒ Kingpin: Life of crime

Trouble playing a game? Game not running well? Ask help here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Postby Soylent Green » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:40 am

I cant seem to get the textures to load in Kingpin. The texture files are there, but just wont load... Everything is red squares(I can take a screenshot and post it, if it will help). Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.
Soylent Green

Postby ILoVeScaryFun » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:38 am

lol...this is a VERY common error most people get this with anycard made above 2000 lol its not the rip...this game i have only EVER seen work with a vodoo...sigh those were the days
ILoVeScaryFun

Postby Soylent Green » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:31 am

Thanks for the info ILoVeScaryFun. Ill look around for a patch to fix it or something. Also, thanks for busting your ass to upload great games. I find that most of the games Im looking for were upped by you ;)
Soylent Green

Postby dead-meat » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:42 am

Applying patch to v1.21 should fix that. Or at least it shouldn't crash on explosions then.
dead-meat

Postby loki1985 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:43 am

yo, get patch 1.21.

@ILoVeScaryFun: works perfect on non-voodoo cards, (tested on a ATI 32 mb).
loki1985

Postby Hellsgate » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:53 am

yes and I know why - PDM played with the textures and compressed them to .jpg's - they were originally .tga files - now when you run the setup.bat and it converts the jpg's back to tga format and you done this under win XP then some of the files that have names longer than 8 chars are rename in dos format - but not only that they forgot few files also - there is NO NO easy fix for this as you have to go through 3073 files - but i have a fix for you.

This is by far the easiest and best fix for both of us
as for me to create a fix for 3073 files with sub dirs will take forever.

extract kingpin rip but don't run setup.bat
(Best if you extract to root dir of hd - e.g c:\Kingpin )

right mouse on setup.bat and click EDIT in context menu's

now you will get this
Code: Select all

@echo off
cd main\sound
mp3unpak sound.pak
cd ..
cd ..
cd main
copy alchemy.exe %windir%\alchemy.exe
call dejpeg.bat
cd ..
echo All Done ! Start the game with Kingpin.exe

o.k now delete these lines

cd ..
cd ..
cd main
copy alchemy.exe %windir%\alchemy.exe
call dejpeg.bat
cd ..

now save and run setup.bat
this will extract the audio only

goto <a href='http://www.irfanview.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.irfanview.com/</a>

get program and plugins and install both

when done open Irfanview

now goto menu's at top - click FILE and then click BATCH CONVERSION/RENAME

and you get this

Assign the dir in the LOOK IN section to open MAIN dir in kingpin as it looks in image - when done that assign all other options as you see in image
Now click SET ADVANCED OPTIONS and set as in next image and click O.K

Now you are back at 1st image setup - now press CTRL and click MODELS and TEXTURES then click button on left ADD ALL - now click start (just as side note - see output dir - make sure that is your kingpin dir on drive)

all images will now be converted.

when done open MAIN dir - right mouse in dir and click NEW then TEXT DOCUMENT - now open that text doc you just created and add this to it

del "models\*.jpg*" /s /q > nul
del "textures\*.jpg*" /s /q > nul

and save then rename that text doc to say del.bat
now run that del.bat (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE DONE THIS IN KINGPIN/MAIN)

now when you have done that and it's finished - goto root dir of kingpin and you'll see another KINGPIN dir - open it and right mouse on MAIN dir and press CUT - now go back to main root dir of kingpin and right mouse in it and press PASTE - this will write all the textures and everything to the dirs they are ment to be in -

OH! wow that was full on - now play game

any questions please ask me if not sure about something

thx
Hellsgate

:up:
No Flesh Shall be Spared
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hellsgate

Postby loki1985 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:24 pm

are you sure this RIP is missing some files? if so, could they be provided by somenone?
loki1985

Postby dead-meat » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:39 pm

When I was using the rip I was pretty sure some files where missing/broken. Now that I got the ISO (thanks S.!) I know that something screwed up during the texture compression.
I'll have a look on the it.. maybe I can do a 'full-uncompressed-textures' addon then.
dead-meat

Postby freakboy » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:00 pm

lol...this is a VERY common error most people get this with anycard made above 2000 lol its not the rip...this game i have only EVER seen work with a vodoo...sigh those were the days

the rip has texture problems, but the iso works fine,
you can get the perfect copy or the rip patch here:
---http://69.50.168.139/sn2//list_torrents/27.html
then burn with alcohol using laserlock option on lowest speed, so you wont need the nocd crack.
freakboy

Postby Hellsgate » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:36 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-loki1985+Oct 11 2004, 01:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (loki1985 @ Oct 11 2004, 01:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> are you sure this RIP is missing some files? if so, could they be provided by somenone? [/quote]
The rip is not missing any files - the jpg conversion part of the rip will save lots of the .tga files as wrong names (will rename any file over 8 chars with the (~.jpg) at end of file) but not only that PARADIGM have also missed a few files in the actual conversion and this is why you see red squares on walls/floors etc etc
because kingpin cannot find the files.

I know the above is a long way around fix but it's there for anyone who has already download it and want's a fix.

:up:
No Flesh Shall be Spared
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hellsgate

Postby Hellsgate » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:40 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-dead-meat+Oct 11 2004, 01:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dead-meat @ Oct 11 2004, 01:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> When I was using the rip I was pretty sure some files where missing/broken. Now that I got the ISO (thanks S.!) I know that something screwed up during the texture compression.
I'll have a look on the it.. maybe I can do a 'full-uncompressed-textures' addon then. [/quote]
To do a perfect tga texture addon would create close to a 93mb addon - would be better to just do a perfect rip of the game :)
No Flesh Shall be Spared
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hellsgate

Postby dead-meat » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:55 pm

this afternoon I already started making a proper rip. It's already done, missing no files, tga files are untouched.
Source is the ISO I mentioned above. The only thing is the soundfiles.. when I compress em using the "audio compressor" from Ser.Sam 6 files are missing after the decompressing.
Gotta have a closer look onto that. Otherwise I had to use the *crappy* mp3 compression which I could steal from PDM's rip :P
Anyway, the rip won't be more than 150meg I guess. (even the intro is included which PDM ripped :P)

Will finish it tomorrow cause I don't have much time today.

greetz
dead-meat :up:

PS: even if I would not succeed doing this, I'd push out an intro- plus an texture addon anyway!
dead-meat

Postby Hellsgate » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:16 pm

If you want a hand i'm downloading the iso now :)
No Flesh Shall be Spared
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hellsgate

Postby dead-meat » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:13 pm

Not necessary... already done :)
dead-meat

Postby jjim » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:13 pm

If i'm not too late coul you do the intro as a sep addon - to save dial up users having to download the fulll rip . Thx mate :up:
jjim

Next

Return to Games Support