Index ⇒ Games Support ⇒ Half life source

Trouble playing a game? Game not running well? Ask help here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Half life source

Postby jjim » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:10 pm

Hi
I have the bought game of Half life 2 installed and am trying to get the Half life source rip by GU Soldier working with it - I have tried placing the hl1 and reslist directories in different place but cannot get hl1 to launch.
Has anyone managed to get this rip working or have any ideas how?
Thx :)
jjim

Postby dead-meat » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:27 pm

I know someone who's got the Collector's Edition of HL². Both of us think HL: Source isn't worth a damn sh*t :( The graphic's not much better and only the water and some other effects from HL² are in there.

And I wouldn't try to get it working with a legit version of HL² either. You know that damn Steam thing... strange things could happen to your account :?
dead-meat

Postby InsaneFury » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:06 pm

Still, it *would* be cool if someone could manage to make a standalone game out of HL: Source. Then again I think this might gob up several hundreds of megs, so I'm not too sure if that rip would be worth it. :)

InsaneFury
3DSL Moderator

Postby loki1985 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:21 pm

dunno, if it is true that e.g. the levels and textures have been taken directly out of original HL1, then an HL1 engine addon would be possible ;)
loki1985

Postby jjim » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:35 pm

dead-meat wrote:I know someone who's got the Collector's Edition of HL². Both of us think HL: Source isn't worth a damn sh*t :( The graphic's not much better and only the water and some other effects from HL² are in there.

And I wouldn't try to get it working with a legit version of HL² either. You know that damn Steam thing... strange things could happen to your account :?

HEhe- Thanks for that dead-meat.
Steam lol. I gave that the flik a while back - I am using Gizma's Steam less fix. Steam is uninstalled from my Pc after registering - now i just click on hl2.exe and it launches straight into the game - no BS verifying account everytime. :lol:
jjim

Postby jjim » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:27 pm

I think I know how to get it working - But I need A bit of help. Please :)
If someone has the Emporio release please could they upload the steam.dll file (found in the bin directory next to hl2.exe - not quite sure of exact path as it will be different to proper install).
The file is very small so any help appreciated,
Thx
jjim

Postby jjim » Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:28 am

InsaneFury wrote:Still, it *would* be cool if someone could manage to make a standalone game out of HL: Source. Then again I think this might gob up several hundreds of megs, so I'm not too sure if that rip would be worth it. :)

There is now a standalone Half life 1 source rip. ( you do not need any HL2 or steam installation to run it) Get it from here:

http://bittorrent.damage-web.net/browse ... life&cat=0

The rip is 384mb which extracts to 969mb. You need to register to get the torrent and you need to be quick - these guys are very strict on ratios. It took me 2 days to get on dial up and before i had even finished downloading i got a warning that my account would be closed in 24 hours if my ratio didn't improve.
Having said all that the game is a bit better than original engine HL1 but valve were a bit lazy not even adding the blue shift enhanced textures/model pack.

Thanks for your earlier help dead-meat - got the password sorted. :lol:
jjim

Return to Games Support