Index ⇒ Site Suggestions ⇒ Terminal Fury (TerminalVelocity+Planets and Fury3+F-Zone)

Think you have a suggestion to make? Feel free to post it here!

Moderator: LW Moderator

Terminal Fury (TerminalVelocity+Planets and Fury3+F-Zone)

Postby HcH » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:36 pm

After some searching around I found this Fury3 mod, it works well enough and includes all addons. I checked if this was also on 3DSL, and whilst there are many files for Terminal Velocity, this might be interesting to add to the site as well.

Title: Terminal Fury
Author: Kmaster
Released: 2010-05-24
Size: 29.9MB
Source: http://forum.mtm2.com/viewtopic.php?t=6683
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/dx2nwwbummy/terminal_fury.rar/file
Description: Playing around with an old TRI's game, Fury3, I managed to add Terminal Velocity and F-Zone levels, in separated missions. I saw a video on youtube on which a dude swapped a pod file from Fury to TV and everybody was impressed, of course I said "that's no big deal" and then this idea came up. It was pretty easy to figure out how to do this, it's all explained in the readme file. The tools I used were Winpod, Goldview, Flyrawgui and MDMRE's palette converter for the title screen. I didn't even have to merge pods, I only placed a pod.ini file in the game folder. Another proof that our MTM knowledge can be used for other TRI games too (TV, F3, Fzone, Hellbender, CPR, EVO1, EVO2, FLY, Nocturne, etc)
HcH

The following user would like to thank HcH for this post
annoyment, Scaryfun

Re: Terminal Fury (TerminalVelocity+Planets and Fury3+F-Zone

Postby Scaryfun » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:17 am

Nice find, thanks for sharing! :)
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

The following user would like to thank Scaryfun for this post
HcH

Re: Terminal Fury (TerminalVelocity+Planets and Fury3+F-Zone

Postby HcH » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:49 am

You're welcome! It is however not exactly what I was searching for. Terminal Velocity could run in 640x320, Fury3 can't, and is limited to 320x240. Enemies are harder to spot from a distance in a lower resolution, you'll have to rely on the radar too much.

After Fury3, Hellbender was released in 1996, another native Windows port with 640x320 resolution support. Considering the notes from Kmaster it wasn't hard to get to work on Hellbender. First we need the level order so we can make a 'mod' of Hellbender, this way it appears as selectable game/addon when you start a new game.

Step 1. Open the exe file in a hex editor, and look for the levels. Get that order, and make a new ".vox" file. It's just a text file with this info:

hellbend.vox:
Code: Select all
Hellbender
1,1,morbos.lvl
1,2,morbos2.lvl
1,3,morbos3.lvl
2,1,float.lvl
2,2,float2.lvl
3,1,iowah.lvl
3,2,iowah2.lvl
3,3,iowah3.lvl
4,1,kreash.lvl
4,2,kreash2.lvl
4,3,kreash3.lvl
5,1,jurassic.lvl
5,2,jurassic2.lvl
5,3,jurassic3.lvl
6,1,roid.lvl
6,2,roid2.lvl
6,3,roid3.lvl
6,4,roid4.lvl
7,1,hoth.lvl
7,2,hoth2.lvl
7,3,hoth3.lvl
8,1,ship.lvl
8,2,ship2.lvl

Step 2. Then modify "pod.ini" to load the additional ".pod" files. The ones from Terminal Velocity or Fury3/F-Zone can be placed here. Increment the number on the first line accordingly.

pod.ini, note that I renamed the .pod files:
.\system\hbgame.pod
.\system\hbstart.pod
.\system\tvgame.pod
.\system\tvstart.pod

Step 3. mission.ini loads all the ".vox" files. Add "hellbend.vox" to this list and increment the number on the first line accordingly.

mission.ini, 4 vox files from Terminal Velocity v1.2 CD-ROM version and Hellbender's:
share.vox
retail1.vox
retail2.vox
geiger.vox
hellbend.vox

When we start Hellbender now and start a new game, a new small screen appears like in Fury3 asking us what to play.

Repeat these steps for TV or F3 to add them as mods.

Now, the game keeps crashing when we try the same load trick from Fury3, after some fiddling I did manage the get one level of Terminal Velocity to play ... almost fully rendered. There might be issues when files with the same names are used, I once got a error a file had a "unexpected length". The music of both prior titles plays back just fine, most models also seem to have no issue, some graphics do. If we happen to have a TV/F3/HB expert/fan here on LW I'd love to discuss options merging these 3 games into one. I might try later some more attempts to get this to work, I'll report back here if I do.
HcH

The following user would like to thank HcH for this post
Scaryfun

Return to Site Suggestions