Index ⇒ General Topics ⇒ Stop Online Piracy Act

Thoughts on life, the universe and everything else not covered in other categories.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Re: Stop Online Piracy Act

Postby Scaryfun » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:44 am

Reminds me of some drug laws where people can have small amounts for personal use but trafficking it is illegal. And the drug war is going great; drugs will be wiped out soon. :roll:
Of course file sharing isn't really a for-profit thing anyway unlike drugs. And playing whack-a-mole with shutting down sites while others pop up will never be a success either.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

The following user would like to thank Scaryfun for this post
Delacroix

Postby zobraks » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:49 am

Scaryfun wrote:... playing whack-a-mole with shutting down sites while others pop up...
:lol: :up:
zobraks

Postby Delacroix » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:01 am

Made me LMAO as well. Golden quote.
Delacroix

Postby Shattered » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:39 pm

Update:

Both ISP's are going to appeal the verdict. Despite the appeals, the ISP's have to follow up on the verdict which means to block access to TPB latest on the 25th of January. The ISP's also have to block any new IP's or domains related to TPB. BREIN is allowed to provide the ISP's with a list of records to block, and both ISP's have to adhere to that.

Scaryfun wrote:And playing whack-a-mole with shutting down sites while others pop up will never be a success either.

Of course everybody knows that shutting down or blocking some sites makes no difference. BREIN knows this better than anyone and I don't believe that this was the goal of the trial. Their goal is to see how far they can go, whom they can sue and what works out in the end. BREIN is now going to ask other providers to block TPB and if they do not comply it's more than likely they will have to answer in court. This lawsuit sets a precedent in the Netherlands and opens the door open for other censoring measures. For example, BREIN could provide the ISP's with a list that contains more than just the IP's of TPB, to which I'm not surprised at all if this would happen. After all, there's no harm in trying.

Maybe it's not the same as SOPA, but it's a start in forcing an internet censorship here. Like Old_Schooler, I'm wary that this could have future consequences for (Dutch) users being able to access LegendsWorld in a normal way.

Off topic:

Scaryfun wrote:Of course file sharing isn't really a for-profit thing anyway unlike drugs.

True, but file sharing can be very profitable these days. File hosters are making a lot of money by selling premium accounts. It always makes me laugh when I read their policies regarding warez, like users would buy premium accounts to download all the freeware stuff that's hosted on their sites.

Scaryfun wrote:Reminds me of some drug laws where people can have small amounts for personal use but trafficking it is illegal.

Looks like you know about our drug policies ;)
Shattered
3DSL Moderator

Postby Shattered » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:07 pm

Lamar Smith removes DNS blocking from SOPA

by JC Fletcher on Jan 13th 2012 6:30PM

The Stop Online Piracy Act has gotten slightly less objectionable. Rep. Lamar Smith, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, has announced that he's removing the DNS blocking provision -- the most controversial aspect of SOPA -- from the bill. So while it is still possible (and easy) under the bill for someone to request the cutoff of revenue sources for a site, it will no longer be possible to obtain a court order to block all access to that site from within the US. It's a pretty sad state of affairs when we consider our continued freedom to visit a website a victory, even a small one.

In a statement on his website, Smith said he's removing the provision "so that the Committee can further examine the issues surrounding this provision. We will continue to look for ways to ensure that foreign websites cannot sell and distribute illegal content to U.S. consumers."

We don't dare truly believe this is evidence that Smith is listening to us, but it's still proof that change is possible. Keep talking to your congresspeople about this.

Code: Select all
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/13/lamar-smith-removes-dns-blocking-from-sopa/

http://lamarsmith.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=274902
Shattered
3DSL Moderator

Postby Scaryfun » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:26 am

Google has put link on their main page https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
All you Americans sign and will send petition to your government representative. It worked here in Canada to stop isp monopolies for enacting pay per usage fees so I hope it works for you guys too.

Also, Wikipedia is going dark as well as other sites today in protest of the bill. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby Shattered » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:32 am

Scaryfun wrote:Also, Wikipedia is going dark as well as other sites today in protest of the bill. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

I was reading a bit about SOPA on the Dutch page of Wiki. It came to my attention that the European Commission has plans to make it possible to shut down sites without the intervention of a judge/court in case of complaints about copyright infringement. This is not good.

EDIT: Demonoid is also on black.
Shattered
3DSL Moderator

Postby InsaneFury » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:48 pm

heh speaking of sites going black: MegaUpload shut down by FBI... :(

Official FBI Statement here

InsaneFury
3DSL Moderator

Postby Shattered » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:51 pm

Bad news, that was one of the more reliable sites.

http://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-shut-down-120119/

Looks like we have to re-upload some stuff.
Shattered
3DSL Moderator

Postby Scaryfun » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:42 pm

:shock: That was speediest host for me, what a sad day. So, is Rapidshare soon to follow?

I'll go through the uploads and list which were on Megaupload and will post in Broken Downloads soon. :cry:
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby Meddle » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:46 am

Some of mine will have to be uploaded elsewhere.
Meddle

Postby cdnp » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:18 am

Scaryfun wrote:I'll go through the uploads and list which were on Megaupload and will post in Broken Downloads soon. :cry:

If you would like I can help out with that on Sunday. Also probably all of Cireja's uploads are dead.
cdnp

Postby rastan saga » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:31 am

It look like the other host sites' shut down process or auto-censorship procedures (like Hotfile) will follow to MU's way. Especially if 4Shared close the doors ( besides it was forbidden in my country, I changed my DNS for enter ), this LW project will collapsed. You cant upload every games again and again, it's very hard or impossible. So the game is over...

It seems these fcking SOBs, these bloodsucking mongers won this round. :x
rastan saga

Postby InsaneFury » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:27 am

rastan saga wrote:You cant upload every games again and again, it's very hard or impossible. So the game is over...
There will always be ways of sharing files. Sharing is a concept that lies in the human nature, as well as the nature of the Internet.

We've had hosts (Geocities, Briefcases, etc.) go down on us before, yet somehow this site is still around. Even when public http filehosts will cease to exist, there will be other channels to transfer data. Just as long as ISP's aren't forced to publish their clients' usage data, people will still be sharing files on the net.

InsaneFury
3DSL Moderator

Postby rastan saga » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:57 am

I hope so but I dont think so...

This is not just about online piracy or something. This was big, too big. They want control everything and everyone. It's not about only for our virtual lifes, they wish take our real lifes too. And when the time is come we will fight for our life styles with true concepts, there will be real fights not this childish methods, not so called virtual wars, like some hackers done.

I'm not a paranoid guy. Actually this is the realistic point of view, history will repeat and we will defend our rights, our honors against that money eating farts and their bitch goverments with bloody ways. This is the another "true" human nature...
rastan saga

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics