Index ⇒ General Topics ⇒ Retro video game comparison blog

Thoughts on life, the universe and everything else not covered in other categories.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Retro video game comparison blog

Postby basetta » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:58 am

I like this guy - he's good. Covers lots of old C=64 + other platforms like MSX. Lots of stuff I only heard of decades ago but the multi-platform comparisons are liquid awesome.
http://frgcb.blogspot.com/

ex.
I had no idea Al Lowe made Donald Duck for c64 originally. Then made sierra agi version. Sound differences are important to me. :)

Same with Wizball - ntsc vs pal. And not just music tempo either.
basetta

Re: Retro video game comparison blog

Postby Meddle » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:09 am

I have a heavy dose of nostalgia for Donald Duck's Playground on C64... used to play that as a kid.
Meddle

Re: Retro video game comparison blog

Postby basetta » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:19 pm

The ones burned into my memory:
- The Last V8 - stage 1 music. I play that whole level sometimes while dreaming.
- Law of the West - lots of variety choices. Get the doctor drunk and dread the mistake later. Get someone mad, they walk off, come back and shoot you. :mrgreen:
- Castles of Dr. Creep - co-op. Always had friends who requested this. That and Archon.
- Street Beat - easy to get into. Loved the boombox (Ghetto Blaster) concept.

#1: Grog's Revenge. I hated that Grog. How they built up the tension with the alarm was even better. Plus that ending. Ooh. How many times I thought it was possible to beat him to the top of the mountain. Evil 80s rival. :)

The tire eating monster gave me jumps also. Roll to next screen or exit cave. Whazzam. Right there sometimes.
basetta

Return to General Topics