Index ⇒ General Topics ⇒ Could you help me find the name of this FPS game?

Thoughts on life, the universe and everything else not covered in other categories.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Could you help me find the name of this FPS game?

Postby fpsguy » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:02 pm

Hey :hi:, I'm having a hard time finding a certain FPS game, I've searched through http://legendsworld.net/shooter but did not find it, I would appreciate any help!

simple (doom-like) PC single player FPS game from the late 90's or early 2000's, Notable features - low amount of ammo, realistic weapons (no lazers or BFG's), slower paced than Doom, the enemies were red demons, they shot fireballs at you. I distinctly remember a tunnel, and once you got out of it there was a stone tower, you had to go inside the tower and demons would attack you. There were occult/satanic themes throughout the game. The game could have been unfinished or shareware as I remember it was short, that would also explain why I'm having trouble finding it. For some reason I think it was some sort of unfinished continuation of an existing game, but I don't remember any details.

I don't think it's one of the Blood or Rise of the triad expansions/mods because neither of those games had red demons shooting fireballs, neither did they have a stone tower.

I've skimmed through these links but did not find it:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-genera ... lar-games/
https://www.youtube.com/view_play_list? ... B1CF53EEAC
http://firstpersonshooters.net/Games/thelist.html
http://www.got-blogger.com/elblogdelosb ... 936614465/
http://legendsworld.net/shooter/news

But then again, there's too many games there for me to look through every one of them, does anyone remember this game or anything about it?
fpsguy

Re: Could you help me find the name of this FPS game?

Postby mr.editor » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:29 pm

Do you remember was it with Sprites or in 3D?

While I haven't played it myself yet, what I've seen maybe it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerSlave ?
mr.editor

The following user would like to thank mr.editor for this post
fpsguy

Postby fpsguy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:05 am

mr.editor wrote:Do you remember was it with Sprites or in 3D?

While I haven't played it myself yet, what I've seen maybe it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerSlave ?

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately that's not it, it wasn't egyptian themed, I believe most of the colours were dark/gray, I remember gray walls and a gray tower. I'm not entirely sure if it was sprites or 3D, I think it was made with sprites (typical for BUILD engine / doom engine) but on the other hand I remember playing it around 1999-2001 and FPS games with sprites started to become rare.
fpsguy

Postby Scaryfun » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:13 am

I would go to each year page on 3D Shooter Legends from 1994 to 1999....the index at top of each page lists the FPS games first. Just check the screenshots on those entries and you should find it.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby fpsguy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:12 pm

Scaryfun wrote:I would go to each year page on 3D Shooter Legends from 1994 to 1999....the index at top of each page lists the FPS games first. Just check the screenshots on those entries and you should find it.

I checked the screenshots of all "First person shooter" and "Free fan-made" games from 1998 to 2001 on Shooter Legends, and skimmed through 1995,1996,1997,2002, but didn't find it, I even checked the screenshots of games that had broken links through googling, and I've browsed through this list of screenshots which has 500+ fps games on one page http://www.got-blogger.com/elblogdelosb ... 936614465/, and yet I still haven't found it.

From what I remember the environment looked something like this:

http://liquidator-world.chat.ru/lss_11.htm

http://liquidator-world.chat.ru/lss_16.htm

http://explodinglips.com/pics/graphics/pics006.jpg

http://www.zerker.ca/zzone/screenshots/q12base1.jpg

You would think that an FPS where the protagonist shoots red demons would be cliche and common, but surprisingly it isn't!
fpsguy

Postby mr.editor » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:46 pm

OT:
I remember playing Liquidator 2 and despised every aspect in it! Same dev also made Utopia City and it was equally absymal.
Btw, Liquidator 1 seems to be on Build engine. Does anyone know was it licenced officially?? (somehow I doubt it was)
mr.editor

Postby oldman » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:24 pm

There's a guy who sometimes used to post here, he has a site reviewing obscure eastern European games.
He also did a few translation files for a few of those games.
I think i found out about the Liquidator games from there.
There was one game he reviewed called 'operation matriarchy' ,i really enjoyed playing it at the time.
not sure if it be as good now,i remember the graphics were pretty bad ,but the game play was pretty fun.
there was 2 lots of patches for it ,i think.
sound patch and english patch.(can't remember too well now)
oldman

Postby mr.editor » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:53 am

I know Operation Matriarchy, I played it already in 2006, just after ÜberSoldier and The Stalin Subway and before Liquidator 2: Welcome to Hell, Utopia City. It was era when Russian shooters tried to raise its head. :)
I've kept a close eye on the eastern market around dozen years. I think I've actually completed all Russian and Ukrainian FPSes which have officially(!) released (somehow I can't bring myself to play fan-translated games, like Kreed: Battle For Savitar) in English. On that note I have big respect towards GamersGate which have brought many of those to western audiences.
mr.editor

Postby oldman » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:06 pm

i played ÜberSoldier 1 + 2 ,i think.
is it also called Wolfschanze ?
bought 1+2 were pretty bad, i really tried to like both of them.
they had a good game engine for the 2nd one
,but the gameplay was not enjoyable.

i also played CRIMES OF WAR recently :)
oldman

Postby mr.editor » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:38 pm

Ooh... let's see now what i remember and what I noted down for myself. Yeah, those budget shooters had often different name in different market.

ÜberSoldier was at some point known as East Front, but i think it was work in progress title. I don't know any other English title for that.
UberSoldier 2 on the other hand had many titles: UberSoldier: The End of Hitler, East Front: Crash of Annenerbe, AND Crimes of War (last one was City Interactive published i think).

Wolfschanze 1 (full title Wolfschanze 1944: The Final Attempt) is extremely rare and I'm proud being able to up it there. :) I don't know it would have been released under other name. Also the Wolfschanze 2 should have only this title. Fun fact - City Interactive released this game just few months after Wolfenstein. Maybe coincident, maybe marketing move to get some Wolfenstein hype as the name has similarities. :)

Series which were mess were BattleStrike and Mortyr. City Int really played around with those titles.

Back then City developed games on Jupiter Extended. I don't know... I think there weren't much quality and love in 'em.
UberSoldiers were quite ok if i think of it. I can't remember right now but i think Burut CT had their own engine.

What else there were in mid 2000s? Hellforces, Instinct, Rat Hunter, You Are Empty, Exodus from the Earth, Specnaz: Project Wolf...

The best quality FPS from Russia is probably TimeShift.
mr.editor

Postby mr.editor » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:42 pm

:D
Whadda ya know - i just said that Wolfschanze is rare. Well, speaking of it I was reminded about the developer and I thought to check out what re they up to. And - seems they have remastered(!?) the game and recently re-released it. :D https://www.facebook.com/CalarisStudios
mr.editor

The following user would like to thank mr.editor for this post
Scaryfun

Postby oldman » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:53 pm

great info .

i think the first one was a bit more fun(wolf 1)(for what it is,which was pretty bad :) ).
it great there's a remastered version ,i'll have to go looking for it 8)

There's another game i have the iso of ,District Wars ,
i think it's a russian game with some horrible starforce protection.(not sure).
it would be great to have the english translation files for it,as voices are in Russian .

A couple of other games , i think i might have got from here are ,The methadrone project and Paragraph 78.

I think it was operation matriarchy that started me off, looking for some of these lesser known games.

sometimes they turn out to be fun ,mostly not though :D

TimeShift was a russian made fps ?? didn't know that.
I've seen some brilliant mods made by Russians for various pc games,so they have the talent over there.
oldman

Postby mr.editor » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:01 pm

I know about District Wars existence, but not much more. Little research shows its made by Destan Entertainment, now Teyon. And I know by heart its Polish company. They have made some really bad games. They also made a game which English version I can't seem to find after years of looking - Blind Shot: Assassin's Confession. I wouldn't be surprised if they share the engine as well.

Wolfschanze 1 I remember quite a bit. Wolfschanze 2 on the other hand not at all. If you have played City interactiove FPSes, then you might have noticed how they recycled assets textures, even whole rooms! So most of their games have blended into one grey mess in my head.

The Methadrone Project and Paragraph 78 - yes, heard of those. English version don't exist, so haven't played those. If I'm not mixing something up in my mind now, Paragraph 78 actually somewhat intrigued me back in the day. One thing was that i think it was connected with a russian thriller movie, which had promising trailer... but i never got to watch the movie.

True, one can find some rays of light in those games. I remember having rather liked the 50-60s soviet environment in You Are Empty for an example.

Yeah, TimeShift was made by Saber Interactive, which is headed from States, but development is in Saint-Petersburg. It's actually noteable studio as they are working on this "old Halo trilogy to Xbox 1" now i think. TheiR Serious Sam clone Will Rock is somewhat known as well. Their extremely short (half an hour maybe) FPS Battle Los Angeles disappointed me hugely, as i loved the movie (yeah, i know i must be only one on that :D ). The latest game for Pc was Inversion I think, but I haven't tried it yet. It wasn't received so well.

I don't know anything about mods though. :( I remember my friend rather liked RtCW mods, but I've never even considered those.

Best Russian games for me are.... I think I have to go with Death to Spies series. I like stealth games, and those are made using Hitman engine (what was it called, Glacier?) as well.
I really hope Death to Spies 3 will end up being released! Its been one of my most anticipated games for years! And I loved the demo.
DTS3 have had so rocky development. It was announced by 1C as Ghost of Moscow, but was soon quietly cancelled as 1C big plans in western didn't work out so well (I suppose they didn't realize that games have to have some quality in them to be successful in west :P ). Haggard Games negotiated the DtS brand and assets back from 1C and independently have pushed on so far. They tried and failed in Indiegogo and Kickstarter (the later was timed extremely bad imho! The Russians had just went to Ukraine and did their thing in Crimea and eastern Ukraine. And after hearing news people see that Russian company now wants money to make violent game about Soviet spies after set after WWII, when russia had just invaded a lot of Europe! To make matters worse, those who made research about company could have found it is situated in Rostov-on-Don, which is just like 100km from Ukraine! Who knows, maybe it had no actual impact on Kickstarter campaign and I'm overthinking, but it still feels to me that they were in wrong place at wrong time when sh1t hit the fan).
mr.editor

Postby oldman » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:24 pm

Wolfschanze 2 uses same game engine as fear 2 (i think) ,s it looks a bit better.
but they screwed up on the gameplay,it's very monotonous with the same looking soldiers attacking u non stop.

Blind Shot: Assassin's Confession.!

I think i was confusing that with district wars .
I wanted English files for Blind Shot ,but never found any.

district wars ,i have 2 different versions(iso) and neither will run.
i never found a working crack.
============================================
IE:Death to spies a great game ,it has a loyal fanbase waiting for v.3.
==================================================

p.s...2015 ,Russia has invaded Europe again :(

Ukraine crisis is defiantly affecting gaming.
A lot of young men have been conscripted to fight.
It must be very difficult for them.
oldman

Postby mr.editor » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:04 pm

Yeah, Wolfschanze 2 has Jupiter Extended engine which I mentioned few post above regarding City Interctive budget fpses. Jupiter.... that reminds how much i'd like to get NOLF3 :P I couldn't care less from Half-Life 3, I want NOLF! :)

Did you try russian patch for District Wars? If language settings are not in exe, Russian exe might work as well. In some cases it works. ;)

There should be full English version of Blind Shot, there are some traces of it.

I know about DtS fans and its forum. :) Last I checked the fanbase wasn't too big though. :(
mr.editor

Next

Return to General Topics