Index ⇒ General Topics ⇒ windows 10 and SafeDisc + SecuROM

Thoughts on life, the universe and everything else not covered in other categories.

Moderator: LW Moderator

windows 10 and SafeDisc + SecuROM

Postby oldman » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:15 pm

I just noticed this .
Windows 10 won't be able to run games that use SafeDisc and SecuROM technology.
Code: Select all
http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2015/08/windows-10-wont-run-games-with-securom-drm-says-microsoft/

Doesn't bode well for a lot of old/classic games.

Though i suppose a nocd crack would negate this issue .
Last edited by oldman on Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldman

Re: windows 10 and securom

Postby myloch » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:51 pm

Just use cracked executables;)
Please help me! Check HERE for my requests / most wanted titles!
myloch

Location: Out somewhere, collecting old, rare and obscure pc games.

Re: windows 10 and SafeDisc + SecuROM

Postby oldman » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:52 pm

:D
I just thought that at the same time you prob. posted (edited ny o.p)
oldman

Postby Molitor » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:59 pm

Though, it sucks for the average gamer who likes to play older games but who's not comfortable with the patches and cracks. And with the decline of these physical protections, we'll see more and more hardware/internet-dependant protection schemes - again not a problem for the fellow pirates but legit users will be bothered.
Molitor
3DSL Moderator

Postby hfric » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:32 pm

:roll:

add to that list TAGES and STARFORCE , those DRM aren't compatible also ... and you know what adds a cheery on top of it , STARFORCE drivers that install overwrite the boot files from WIN10 making your OS stuck in a constant restart loop ... learned it the hard way when i played "Knight of the Temple 2" for my channel ... you can only thank "WIN10 creating for every thing you install a rescue point" THING that will save your ass
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby Shattered » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:17 am

Related article, Windows 7/8:

September 2015 Windows updates KB3086255 breaks many games

This September 2015 Windows update KB3086255 basically disables secdrv.sys which is an anti-piracy copy protection that is used by many games developers and some other software companies. The driver, secdrv.sys, is used by games which use Macrovision SafeDisc. Without the driver, games with SafeDisc protection would be unable to play on Windows.

http://myonlinesecurity.co.uk/september-2015-windows-updates-kb3086255-breaks-many-games/
Shattered
3DSL Moderator

Postby ClassicComputerGames » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:36 am

Shattered wrote:Related article, Windows 7/8:

September 2015 Windows updates KB3086255 breaks many games

This September 2015 Windows update KB3086255 basically disables secdrv.sys which is an anti-piracy copy protection that is used by many games developers and some other software companies. The driver, secdrv.sys, is used by games which use Macrovision SafeDisc. Without the driver, games with SafeDisc protection would be unable to play on Windows.

http://myonlinesecurity.co.uk/september-2015-windows-updates-kb3086255-breaks-many-games/

Welp, guess that means all CoD4 players who has their Steam free Physical copies won't be able to play anymore should they end up receiving that update:P (Unless Safedisc got patched out with a official patch or something)
EDIT: And also any EA game made prio to 2007 will not work either after Win7/8 after users get this update.
ClassicComputerGames

Postby hfric » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:19 pm

yup , that's how they screw legal PC users to re-buy games ... and legal users will say Frack you and get a crack , and will stop buying PC games altogether
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby Shattered » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:37 am

You can turn back on the service for secdrv.sys, as described in the article.
Shattered
3DSL Moderator

Postby BR4ZIL » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:21 am

Hey guys! As i think only you guys can truly understand, what do you think of Win10 for gaming?

I asked this question on multiple occasions, but i belive almost nobody truly understands what i am saying by "Will my old games work with Win10" more than you guys.

As someone who wants to find interesting games (both old and new), you think win10 is worth it? I heard it has alot of problems with older (and not so old) games.

I am currently using win7, btw.
BR4ZIL

Postby hfric » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:14 am

I have Win 10 now as my main OS ... and its fine , things from the 16 bit era of win3.11/win95/win98 will not work (if Win10 will see a DOS app it just lulz at you). But if they have a 32bit stub in those old games , win10 uses its own HyperV OS emulator to run this game - its their renamed version of Virtual PC (even games that did not worked in Vista/win7/win8 , now work natively out of the box.. they update the emu daily) ... you can also use it to install older OS ... but i would recommend VMWARE 12 with win98 ... but hell win10 from day to day fixes itself so much its scary

As a OS in its self , all information is so clear and given to you ... its crazy
Games run crazy fast , even faster then in Win7 (from 5 to even 20 FPS more) ... speaking about dx10 games and up ... but even older work too fast , not kidding
Yes its collects data what you do , but only if you let it ... why it does it , well it has a AI build in named Cortana ... a real clever beast if it gets to know you ,and what you do (even when you block its net access) "Your 16bit game XXYYZZ that you tried to start four times , now will work . Should I start it now" :shock:
The thing is Win10 became a system similar to ANDROID , (or that APPLE thingi) when all things are a App similar to Android . A universal OS that wants to be on everything and help you run anything , but not be a jack of all trades then all previous OS where = We build the shell ,YOU build the app

So what does not work :
well QuickTime does not ... but for that you have this http://tommynation.com/install-quicktime-windows-10/ (adobe product still are stuck on QT and well old WIN95/98 adventures need it that are build in Macromedia Director)
no ASPI , that means no DMA ... so no Advanced SCSI Programming Interface ... if you have a DVD on SATA or Ribbon Cabbles ... your forced to get a USB case for that ... there are solutions but now still in Beta faze like Frogaspi or others
all 16bit stuff will not work ... period , even win 10 will lulz at you with a pop up about it ... so VMachines are the only way to run old software (DOSBOX , VMWARE , or its inbuild HYPER-V) ... but what will work changes so fast its WOW
You have to manual disable windows update system (in services) to not use you as a P2P update server and hog your HDD drive
About start menu , well its a mix of old with new ... and it works fine ... but some people will miss the old winxp start , but for that you install CLASSIC SHELL http://www.classicshell.net/
From Vista, windows Explorer became a load of crap ... does not show how much free space you have ,or closes itself (then moves to the next folder like in winxp) when you eject something (USb/CD/DVD/BD/HDD) but for that CLASSIC SHELL fixes some its issues , but for some you just install Explorer++
DRM from old games will not work ... new memory manager broke that DUH ... cracks are now the only way to run legal games that have SafeDisc/SecuROM/TAGES and STARFORCE ...
STARFORCE DRM drivers can break the WIN10 boot system ... but win10 is so HEAVY HEAVY EXTRA HEAVY ... did i mention BUGGERING PERSISTENT to make system restore points for every thing you install to C: drive ... your covered if something goes wrong ... making it a foolproof system
NO MIDI support = no sound fonts but you can fix that by installing CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth

So as you can see Win10 is just a Shell now , not all in one solution like it was till WIN7 ... you have to install apps to it to make it work (it does not even have WMP no more , but an APP from WIN10 phone/tablets to run movies)...but for that you get MPC-HC with combination of VLC ... see Win10 now as LINUX ... but LINUX made for DERPY people

So what perks does it have right now :
App phone game from WINDOWS phones work natively ... yeah crazy ain't (it even has a app store with free phone games)
You can turn your PC into a Tablet ... :lol:
Inbuilt games recorder (only if you have a XBOX360/XBONE PAD) ... press the GUIDE button THREE times to activate a menu
Quick menu when you press WIN and X
Has a in build recovery OS , hidden on a hidden partition ... making recovering stuff easy
Games build in DX10 and up run ... from 1,5x to 2x faster ... the magic of Dx12
Some games run by native , that could not run in previous iterations (even some 16bit games ...) ... they update it constantly with new backward compatibility stuff , its crazy ... one day this game did not worked , the other it works natively (it uses the same principle as Xbone emulation of Xbox360 for some programs, special made VM profiles made for this app)
hfric
3DSL Moderator

The following user would like to thank hfric for this post
oldman

Postby BR4ZIL » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:42 am

@hfric

From the way you say it, it feels like i will have to promptly go around disabling a bunch of stuff (including Cortana) as my first task after installing it.

Well, also from what you say, it seem its still in its early stages, so i will give it time. When i eventually get it, it will probably get it from less than official means (even if the upgrade is free), as i have no intention on having any of its online capabilities and cracks usually already disable those by default.

I just hope win10 doesnt feel like a crappy tablet OS...

Do i have to go around everywhere enabling "advanced/expert" settings just to access basic windows functions? (like task manager and such?).

Still, nice to hear its not as bad as Win8.

And thx for all the info! :lol:
BR4ZIL

Postby oldman » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:39 pm

There's loads of programs out there that will disable 99% of the "spying stuff".
This is one of them:
https://github.com/Nummer/Destroy-Windows-10-Spying/releases

It gets updated regularly.

win10 update archive:
http://ms-vnext.net/UpdateArchive/

These 2 twatter links are good to watch for some goodies:
https://twitter.com/nummerok

https://twitter.com/wzornet