Index ⇒ General Topics ⇒ Resident Evil 3: Restoration Project (PC, PSX) (Release)

Thoughts on life, the universe and everything else not covered in other categories.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Re: Resident Evil 3: Restoration Project (PC, PSX) (Release)

Postby doomed » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:50 am

Does that look like a good improvement on the pixelization of the FMVs? :)

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/176976/

(Check all 4 comparisons)
doomed

The following user would like to thank doomed for this post
kalash49

Postby kalash49 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:00 am

doomed wrote:Does that look like a good improvement on the pixelization of the FMVs? :)

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/176976/

(Check all 4 comparisons)

That looks quite nice and may be certainly useful for our project! How you managed to reach such perfect quality?
kalash49

Postby doomed » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:01 am

Magic :P
RE3 is my favorite RE game so I'm glad to contribute.

Here is a pack of all FMVs processed for your consideration for inclusion in a future update of the mod.
Download here: https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/b7 ... 347/98a56c

Notes:
- For those FMVs that the SourceNext version didn't have any burned in subtitles, that's the version I used to work with (always best to work with the source material.. just in case :P )
-- But first, I reduced their framerate to 15 to stay compliant with the project. Personally, the 15 fps reduction is something I don't agree with at all, but since that's your preference.. :cool: However, I might create an alternate version with the full 30 fps.
- For the FMVs that had burned in subtitles, I worked with the cleaned versions of the mod.
- I encoded them losslessly with Huffyuv since you said it works the best in-game.

There's one last thing. The pixelated videos appear quite sharp, but in order to smooth the pixels, it's understandable that the image will soften. There won't be a loss of detail per se.. but it will appear quite a bit softer.

There are two options:

a) Either you accept the softer appearance
or
b) You sharpen it afterwards to try to recover the original sharpness, but that makes the image a bit over-processed shall I say?

For the videos in the pack I chose to do b)

However I am here including an alternate version of an FMV (Nemesis vs Brad outside the RPD) without sharpening, so essentially going with option a)
Download here: http://www75.zippyshare.com/v/H1ruolUR/file.html

Take a look and tell me if you prefer b) or a). If you prefer a) then I'll process and upload another pack of the videos with no sharpening. And don't forget that it's important to test them in-game, not in a media player. (Disclaimer: I don't have RE3 installed, so I actually didn't test any of the videos in game :lol: )

In any case both a) and b) are much superior to the pixelated ones IMO! :wink:
doomed

The following user would like to thank doomed for this post
Fedmor El, Scaryfun

Postby annoyment » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:04 pm

doomed wrote:Personally, the 15 fps reduction is something I don't agree with at all, but since that's your preference.. :cool: However, I might create an alternate version with the full 30 fps.

Please do so doomed, it'll be an invaluable addition to this endeavour, and also for the sake of resolving whatever preference flaming arguments that were and may be.
Personally I find temporal constraints and possible overwork, as mentioned on page 1, to be a more understandable reason than that of preference (for the subject of frame cleansing) but not wanting to instigate further discussion on the matter for reasons mentioned above, due to respecting the said decision.
However if you are to take on the challenge, I'd say break a leg, or let 'er rip, or ganbare or whatever (you get the point :D )...
Windows is shutting down
"Hellos, plz help with this, will help backward." -Wimpy
annoyment

Postby doomed » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:30 pm

Just to be clear presently I am not thinking of replicating the effort of removing the burned in subtitles - I was merely talking about depixelizing videos at their original framerate (30 fps).

What about those videos with burned in subtitles then?

Well, it's merely 3 videos that have subtitles so I can live with them
or
I can even live with the 15 fps cleaned versions of those 3, while having all others at 30
or
I can interpolate from 15 to 30 the cleaned frames and join them with the rest real 30fps parts. That could be pretty close to the real deal and next to ideal.

But that's for another time, for now, what I'm interested in, is to get feedback on how the 15 fps depixelized ones I uploaded work and whether they would be included in the mod.
doomed

Postby annoyment » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:54 pm

Yeah, missed that sentence, don't wanna bully people for overexpecting due to hype (yes, RE3 is also a favourite of mine), sorry about that. IMO best would be that everything initially unsubbed remains @ 30 from yer sauces while all else (hardsub cleansed) is @ 15 using this project's ones (until someone else volunteers :) ). In short, choice number two from the post above. Now to see what's the opinion from kalash49.
But hey, no fret, as Nicholai, before escaping via chopper, said, "It's entirely up to you!" :P
Windows is shutting down
"Hellos, plz help with this, will help backward." -Wimpy
annoyment

Postby doomed » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:25 pm

I tested the intro in RE3 and it works fantastically! I don't think I will need to be creating a pack without sharpening after all because it looked great in game like that.

Also, how do you like the improved reused-from-RE2 backgrounds I just tested: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/177039 ?
:up:

Edited to add: http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/177040

S.T.A.R.S.!!

Edit: Improvement of the few low res 320x240 backgrounds. In game comparison:

http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/177044
doomed

Postby kalash49 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:26 pm

All of your samples looks more than nice, but there's only one problem with them: Builtin bilinear interpolation function (Texture Completion)
That's a very useful feature and it's turned on by default. Many game effects, such as fire, water, blood, shoots and others, looks awful without this function. But if we'll be use some game elements like FMV or backgrounds with pre-applied filtering + Texture Completion - they looks too blurry, not so much but surely with a bit loss of their details. Without Texture Completion your samples looks great, but in that case game effects will be looks bad. I don't know how to find some balance, it's a difficult dilemma. Texture Completion option also cures FMV pixilation, however, your filtering is surely better. If we will find how to disable builtin interpolation for movies and backgrounds, then your filtered content will be applied without doubt. This project may include only those features which not contain any potential to decreasing final game quality or some others game aspects. But you can leave description of your methods here or send me it in PM and maybe I'll find a way how to use it.
kalash49

Postby doomed » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:56 pm

Hm.. In game screenshots of the FMV: http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/177081

(I always play with bilinear enabled of course).

To my eyes there isn't any loss of detail that there was previously there, it's just the smoothing effect of bilinear. I prefer it smoothed (I even checked filtered FMVs without bilinear to see what they look like, but no I prefer them with bilinear on).

Maybe RhymeKidder can hack the game to disable bilinear (which must be a switch of sorts since there's an option for it) when it loads a video and enable it when it finishes. Although I would still play with bilinear enabled :D
doomed

Postby kalash49 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:33 pm

You have anomaly color tone on your recent in game screens, probably something went wrong with codec installation on your system, or it might conflict with your system codes if you use some codec pack. Try to reinstall video codec, it placed in game folder or apply Green Video fix in start menu.
kalash49

Postby doomed » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:46 pm

Oh, I thought that's how they show in game, it's not?

Hm.. re-installing video codec just says "Installation failed" and applying the fix didn't make any difference. I ran them both as administrator, just in case.
I should also note that the codec used to play them eg in a media player is already LAV...

Edit - Ok, figured it out. That's how either FRAPS records them or my media player displays the recorded FRAPS video.
In game and taking screenshots they are normal. So I don't have to fix anything :D
doomed

Postby doomed » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:38 pm

Finished a quick pass of the bar: edit: taken down, will re-upload a new one
edit Second pass: http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/177131

(See all 5 comparisons).

Sure, it's not razor sharp, but it does look quite a bit better and I don't see any detail loss from the original images. Both sets of screenshots are taken with bilinear enabled of course.
doomed

Postby kalash49 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:49 am

Ok, just checked your backgrounds in game and I can't deny that it looks truly better than original. I need to test some whole location like Bar Jack or Police Station. Please, upload your filtered backgrounds from this locations.
kalash49

Postby doomed » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:19 am

I only have the bar for now. The RPD were tests of few images that I have deleted. But it should be the next location I'll do. :)

Bar: http://www73.zippyshare.com/v/aViqG7sQ/file.html

I have included both the final filtered .png and the .jpg I personally tested with which were encoded at 100%, as little quality reduction as possible (total overkill but who cares?). I included the .png files in case you want to make your own .jpg files smaller in size than mine.
doomed

Postby kalash49 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:03 am

Thanks. It finally looks perfectly. Okay then, it will be nice if you'll make this way all game backgrounds with non 640X480 quality.
kalash49

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics