Index ⇒ General Topics ⇒ Quake 4

Thoughts on life, the universe and everything else not covered in other categories.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Quake4

Good
42%
Mediocre
50%
Crap
8%

Total votes : 12

Quake 4

Postby freakboy » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:59 pm

So what ya guys think? I think its too much of a D3 spirit, though I've played only 4 maps, but I find it lacking of quakeness. D3 ate Q4.
freakboy

Postby hfric » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:10 pm

game is the best , why u ask becoz its great and has a great story , and hey the same thing they say when SIERRA made the AGS engine and made adventure games on it , ID made them self a good engine and now they can make good quality games on it .
Anyway Quake 4 is better then FEAR {for me this game is crap , becoz those maps are lame or they had less time to add more stuff in them , and the engine man its not optimised / yeah and guess what the next day when they relesed this game they made a patch 1.01 it optimised some sp and mp but still for those empty maps its a BIg question where the power of my Gfx goes becoz in Quake 4 i see what my Gfx can [i play on HIGH 1152x 864- its my monitor limit , and i get 97 fps]and in fear i must play in 800x640 and all to medium to get a speed of 49 !!!WTF }
yo and another thing is this that they have planed to make a addon for FEAR to get the hole story + a patch that will be added in this addon to make this game more playbale
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby grupof0091 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:28 pm

The game is well done and fun, but with only 10 hours of longevity....

I think that it was not worth this 6 years of waiting for a game of this caliber. Doom 3 lasted much more, almost the triple . Maybe i will play the game and i will have a good moments, but its longevity is dissapointing.
grupof0091
Addicted Member

Postby InsaneFury » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:34 pm

I think pretty much all 3D shooters lately are quite mediocre...

They all feature good 3D engines, yet fail to do interesting new stuff with that. I like to see lots of story telling and nice camera perspectives to show off the engine.

I expected nice scripted sequences in Doom3, Half-Life 2 and F.E.A.R. and only the last one delivered it *just a bit*. No real innovating stuff happens in Quake4, although the game does have a nice touch with the stuff that happens to increase your abilities...

Other than that it's just boring corridors & repetitive gameplay IMO.

InsaneFury
3DSL Moderator

Postby Xeon » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:22 pm

InsaneFury wrote:I think pretty much all 3D shooters lately are quite mediocre...

They all feature good 3D engines, yet fail to do interesting new stuff with that. I like to see lots of story telling and nice camera perspectives to show off the engine.

I expected nice scripted sequences in Doom3, Half-Life 2 and F.E.A.R. and only the last one delivered it *just a bit*. No real innovating stuff happens in Quake4, although the game does have a nice touch with the stuff that happens to increase your abilities...

Other than that it's just boring corridors & repetitive gameplay IMO.

well at least the latest game engines are more than likely too expensive to license (HINT: Valusoft). :lol:
Xeon

Postby Butcher » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:33 am

I love playing Quake since i can breath. I loved QW and i actually love CPM. But Quake 4 is not, that big game what the older titles was. It doesnt even have its own engine. It looks also too much UT 2004 / Doom3. So look at the Rocketlauncher:

UT2004:

Quake 4:

My first reaction: WTF ? That isn't Quake, there is missing the Quake Style. But Singleplayer is imho extremly nice. Really atmospheric and for all who loved Q2. But the MP Part is still very poor and since CPMA doesnt seem to came out in Q4 and OSP seems to be sleeping, there is a big problem with such a ProMOD. There are 2 Map-Remakes of Q3, Longest Yard and Xearo Gravity and i saw one of Quake 2. The Gameplay is a mixture of Q3 and D3, Physics even VQ3 but with some boring lame D3 elements. Also i think, Railgun is very unbalanced, the Gameplay seems to be extremly slow and Rockets also so its easy to aim with railgun and it still makes 100 DMG and the Gauntlet is the best looking but also the badest weapon ig. The NETCODE seems to be very very bad and the Player models are imo, to small and not good to see ;). But i have to say that Q4 will be a great game for newcommer in the scene.

As i said, the Game is, for me, to slow. I think the only hope are good Map remakes, like ZTN3 or DM6 and a MOD that makes Q4 a MP-God like the others. So i dont hate Q4, in Fact its a nice Game. But its nothing big. Never such a big title as the other titles. Imho, not a game thats worth buying. cYa
Image Image
Butcher

Postby Narfous » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:05 pm

Quake's rocket launchers always had a 3/4 ear thing going on.
Narfous

Postby Kessler » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:44 pm

I´m currently playing the singleplayer, it´s very fun! The only thing I really don´t like is the linear leveldesign, just as bad as in HL2.
Kessler
Addicted Member

Postby hfric » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:06 pm

grupof0091 wrote:The game is well done and fun, but with only 10 hours of longevity....

I think that it was not worth this 6 years of waiting for a game of this caliber. Doom 3 lasted much more, almost the triple . Maybe i will play the game and i will have a good moments, but its longevity is dissapointing.

oK prove it that this game is 10 h long becoz for me its not i play it about 34 h and still see no end hmmm and for me this is good

edit : o and DOOM 3 i have finished in 15h , and the addon with 8 h so dont tell me of triple long game play
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby grupof0091 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:56 pm

34 hours? that's not what the reviews say. If you are telling the truth then is happy news for many of us, but if not, then i don't know why are you telling us that this game is very long because is not what serious reviewers on the Internet say (go to www.gamerankings.com). 34 hours? almost like Unreal? mmmmmm?.
grupof0091
Addicted Member

Postby hfric » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:59 pm

i have finished this game with 35 h was fun it was like half-life with amix of doom ;) :D {played it 5 days }, Unreal i have finished in 4 days {23-25 h of game play} , anyway i dont belive reviewers becoz they are paid b**ches that tell only those things that they where payed for {the YES men that allways say yes when normal people will say NO } they belive that every Platform/FPP/FPS game can be finished in 10-14 h , but only RPG can be finished in 40-60-120 h .
The same info was about Fear that you could finish it in 10 h and guess what you can`t finish it below 10 h - i have finished it in 18-23 h geez
Tip for the reviewers try to finish this game for yourself and then post the time not before that {know some reviewers :wink: they allways think in those schematics }
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby grupof0091 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:19 am

Well i'm gonna trust you :cool: . Maybe we can't trust in reviewers :huh: It's good to know that the game everlast much more :D
grupof0091
Addicted Member

Return to General Topics