Index ⇒ General Topics ⇒ confusion here

Thoughts on life, the universe and everything else not covered in other categories.

Moderator: LW Moderator

confusion here

Postby poetdowns » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:27 am

Salut,

I hope i'm posting this in the right place....
Sometimes when i click on the index it comes up in German and sometimes in English. Is there a way to stay with the English wording?

I don't understand exactly how the downloading process works. You have made a wonderful site here, i'm amazed at the selection you have here, it's just great. The larger games 2-300 mb, i can get the first 3 or 4 files and then i get the message "bcvrf.yahoo cannot be found". I have no idea what that means. Working with Yahoo always gets me confused anyway.
I'm not sure what an iso image is, so i only partly understand the explanation on how to use them.

I don't mean to be a bother and i have a horrible migraine right now. I guess i'm asking is there a more rapid or convient way to download the files? I've read thru some of the other posts here about downloading files, it didn't help my confusion much. Like i said i think the opportunity you've created here is wonderful; i'd like to make a more effecient use of it.

Thanks,
Poet
poetdowns

Re: confusion here

Postby Scaryfun » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:36 am

poetdowns wrote:Salut,

I hope i'm posting this in the right place....
Sometimes when i click on the index it comes up in German and sometimes in English. Is there a way to stay with the English wording?

from FAQ page -
During the first 3 years of our site's existence, it was totally in the German language. To attract more visitors and contributors, it was decided to change it to English so as to be more universally understood.

(We're still in the process of doing this)

I don't understand exactly how the downloading process works. You have made a wonderful site here, i'm amazed at the selection you have here, it's just great. The larger games 2-300 mb, i can get the first 3 or 4 files and then i get the message "bcvrf.yahoo cannot be found". I have no idea what that means. Working with Yahoo always gets me confused anyway.

from FAQ page -
If you stay too long in a briefcase while downloading you might get a message "The requested URL was not found on this server". This is because Yahoo will change locations corresponding to download links so as to avoid direct linking from outside sources. Simply refresh the briefcase, and new correct links will again be available for download.

I'm not sure what an iso image is, so i only partly understand the explanation on how to use them.

It's an image of a cd's contents which can then be used to reburn the same contents onto a blank cd. You can also "mount" the image from your harddrive on a virtual drive instead if you don't want to burn a cd.

I don't mean to be a bother and i have a horrible migraine right now. I guess i'm asking is there a more rapid or convient way to download the files? I've read thru some of the other posts here about downloading files, it didn't help my confusion much. Like i said i think the opportunity you've created here is wonderful; i'd like to make a more effecient use of it.

We use this host for it's stability, not for its speed.
from FAQ page -
You can by the way use downloadmanagers like FlashGet to download . Especially useful is the "Download everything with Flashget" option if there are a lot of files .

(This way, one briefcase's contents can all be automatically downloaded consecutively without having to click each link). Hope your headache goes away. :)

Thanks,
Poet[/quote][/quote]
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby derek- » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:43 am

he really should stop drinking so much - it obstructs his vision, harharhar *hiccup*
derek-

Location: somewhere between heaven and hell. on closer inspection, somewhat closer to hell.

Return to General Topics