Index ⇒ General Topics ⇒ Tender Loving Care

Thoughts on life, the universe and everything else not covered in other categories.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Tender Loving Care

Postby Swimmin » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:02 pm

Originally posted in the broken downloads section for Tender Loving Care (intended to help (future) people getting a working copy).

Tender Loving Care is released in 4 editions (not including the standalone movie (not game) released in 1997).
Historically (since 1998/1999):
- CD Rom (interlaced video, most people manage to get this working on modern PC's)
- DVD Rom (better quality video, requires tlcupdate.exe)
- DVD Video (best video, works on any hardware/software dvd-player, but lacking background sounds/music during exploring and supposedly one question-list)
Since +/- 2012:
- IOS/Ipad (well, who ever wants to be owned by apple...)

All versions are supposed to have 7 possible endings/story-lines (world-of-fmv.de/die-verschiedenen-endszenen-von-tlc.html).

Here is the DVD-Video edition (for region 1,2,3,4,5,6 hex:C0) !!
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:E9FC3B824D9330EF4F1640827CBC8A74516C9F3B&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fbt3.rutracker.cc%2Fann%3Fmagnet

This is a folder containing the image in MDF image format with it's MDS descriptor. This format-combo (contrary to bin/cue/iso) guarantees that the physical location of each file (especially on the second layer and it's position and layer-breakpoint on the disk) is in exactly the right place, thereby guaranteeing an exact copy down to each layer.

Here are the checksums (for above linked tor E9FC3B824D9330EF4F1640827CBC8A74516C9F3B which, by the way, is already 6 years old and still kickin'):

Code: Select all
Tender.Loving.Care.DVD.Version.English.mdf
size:      7.362.422.784 bytes
sectors:   3.594.933 (MODE1/2048) (LB: 1.891.552)
Checksums:
MD5:       ccd16e7fc9d48e4ce6a48db8444b4d75
SHA1:      5c5098b5cd63ec81db624df116ac89a2599f7893
RIPEMD160: 9b7c27d48f7337fcddd34ea4bc128b55cfb39efb
CRC32:     22b0feca

Tender.Loving.Care.DVD.Version.English.mds
size:      8.414 bytes
Checksums:
MD5:       5d40c65a765056d1279dae43b200e78e
SHA1:      f4999140328c9047cfff9ad506ff781c9f7b0448
RIPEMD160: 8b1a6a93494cfe2a7415e7a6228983b000bb7825
CRC32:     66323c81

Calculated with Slavasoft HashCalc

The DVD Video edition uses a number of codes (to save your game progress) which one must write down on exit, and enter when resuming the game.
Here is the official manual for the DVD Video edition: aftermathmedia.com/tlc/manual_dvdv/manual_dvdv.htm
(Extra note: some el-cheapo hardware DVD-Video players with combined menu-up/down/left/right & navigation-(fast)forward/backward buttons might need the numerical indexing in the TADs and room-exploration maps)

I had no problems in burning a working image using ImgBurn (simply extract installer using 7zip to bypass OpenCandy malware in installer).
Resulting physical copy worked perfectly on every physical dvd-video-player (and computer DVD station) in my (and my friends) home.

Mounting worked perfectly using WinCDEmu Portable

Software-DVD-Players tested (including latest nightly/beta's as of the date of this post):
- VLC: does NOT work, skips intro-video's and more importantly the main menu (required to continue the game/story).
- MPC-HC: Seems to work, yet some menu-selection-border's freeze/lag, however clicking what you want does seem to have the intended effect (dev's are currently looking into this)
- PowerDVD: works
- Windows MediaPlayer 11: works
Last edited by Swimmin on Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Swimmin

The following user would like to thank Swimmin for this post
Scaryfun

Re: Tender Loving Care

Postby Shattered » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:55 pm

Welcome to LegendsWorld.

I've splitted your post from the "Broken Downloads" topic and moved it to the appropriate forum.

Swimmin wrote:What a hassle for a simple download, especially using 4shared.... (why not some place/host where everyone can download for free ?).

You can download for free from 4shared. You just need to create a free 4shared account and you can download 3 GB a day/30 GB a month. You can create multiple free accounts in case you need more bandwidth.

Swimmin wrote:Here is the DVD-Video edition (for region 1,2,3,4,5,6 hex:C0) !!

We are hosting the exact same version here on 4shared.

Swimmin wrote:PS: (if I may suggest,) please in the future... make sure everyone can download for free and without (payed) accounts instead of promoting 4shared misery.
There are plenty of hassle-free solutions (like datafilehost.com which works without accounts, no rotten money and even works with IE6 for up/downloading)...

One reason we use 4shared is the longevity of the files. Files on datafilehost are kept only for 90 days without download. We are using 4shared for approx. a decade and it didn't have the limitation of needing an account to download in the past.

Keep in mind we are just a small team here. We do this for fun and without profit. If one needed to pay for an account on 4shared we would have abandoned it already.
Shattered
3DSL Moderator

Postby Swimmin » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:41 pm

Ahh, there my post (with best intentions) is. :D
Just wanted to help (future) people (that are missing parts or getting corrupted data) getting a working copy (that works on a standalone dvd player).
It might be helpful to add a 'signpost' to this re-located post in the tlc-broken-downloads thread (if it's not there yet).

Thanks for the extra 4shared info (I personally always have problems with it and 4server.info 'solution' often doesn't work). If you like I can moderate my post some more (regarding 4shared) (EDIT: Done). I DO appreciate what your team does to help out others!

May I ask, is it the exact same mds/mdf (because the seeding-post states 'your version' is an ISO)?
If yes, the info and checksums in my post are helpful for 'your version' as well.
If no, maybe it would be an idea to update your release/archive in the future (as I understand it, iso/bin/cue doesn't account for dual layer positioning).
Swimmin

Postby Shattered » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:36 pm

Swimmin wrote:Just wanted to help (future) people (that are missing parts or getting corrupted data) getting a working copy (that works on a standalone dvd player).

I've moved your post because the download on the site is working fine. There are no broken parts at the moment. The "Broken Downloads" forum is meant for downloads on the site that are actually broken.

Swimmin wrote:It might be helpful to add a 'signpost' to this re-located post in the tlc-broken-downloads thread (if it's not there yet).

I left a shadow topic in place.

Swimmin wrote:Thanks for the extra 4shared info (I personally always have problems with it and 4server.info 'solution' often doesn't work). If you like I can moderate my post some more (regarding 4shared) (EDIT: Done). I DO appreciate what your team does to help out others!

You're welcome.

Swimmin wrote:May I ask, is it the exact same mds/mdf (because the seeding-post states 'your version' is an ISO)?
If yes, the info and checksums in my post are helpful for 'your version' as well.
If no, maybe it would be an idea to update your release/archive in the future (as I understand it, iso/bin/cue doesn't account for dual layer positioning).

It's the same, MD5 is identical.

Also, for the next time: please post torrent/magnet links here:

viewforum.php?f=11
Shattered
3DSL Moderator

The following user would like to thank Shattered for this post
Swimmin

Postby zobraks » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:02 pm

:thanks: for useful links.

P.S. I've never seen a longer first post by anyone here. :D
zobraks