Index ⇒ Games Support ⇒ Enslaved: Odyssey To The West Keyboard Remapping

Trouble playing a game? Game not running well? Ask help here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Enslaved: Odyssey To The West Keyboard Remapping

Postby Ali Akbar » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:21 pm

In-game remapping is very limited, and only specific keys can be used, and if you do assign them to any command, they will be replaced with a mouse button upon loading any checkpoint, so you will have 1 mouse button assigned to 2 or 3 commands, making the game unplayable.
These are the keys which, according to my testing, can't be used: , . / ; ' [ ] \ - = Enter and all the keys on the Numeric Keypad.

I tried tweaking all ini files related to keyboard and mouse input, here's the list of the files:

BaseInput.ini located in C:\Program Files (x86)\ENSLAVED Odyssey to the West Premium Edition\Engine\Config
DefaultInput located in C:\Program Files (x86)\ENSLAVED Odyssey to the West Premium Edition\MonkeyGame\Config
MonkeyGame.ini located in C:\Program Files (x86)\ENSLAVED Odyssey to the West Premium Edition\MonkeyGame\Config
MonkeyInput.ini located in C:\Program Files (x86)\ENSLAVED Odyssey to the West Premium Edition\MonkeyGame\Config
MonkeyInput.ini located in C:\Users\#-+=\Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\MonkeyGame\Config

Nothing works, the reason I want to change the keys in the first place is because I use the arrow keys for movement instead of the regular WSAD keys, and my keyboard doesn't have a numeric keypad and RightControl key (so I use rightAlt in games for crouching), and Enter for Use/Interaction instead of the default E or F keys. These are the keys I wanted to use for enslaved, since they are closer to the arrow keys and easier to use:

Enter for Use (instead of the the default E key)
/ for Staff Aim Mode (instead of the the default RightMouseButton which I use for Heavy Attack)
. for Distract (instead of the the default Q key)
, for Cloud (instead of the the default C key)
' for Plasma Ammo (instead of the the default Left key)
; for Stun Ammo (instead of the the default Right key)

But it's of no use, the keys CAN'T be used at all, and it turns out that the keybindings are not stored in the ini files at all, to confirm this, I tried deleting all the ini files in C:\Users\#-+=\Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\MonkeyGame\Config, but the key bindings in-game were unaffected, then I tried erasing random contents of MonkeyInput.ini and setting it to read only, but the key bindings in-game were not affected. Please, is it possible to fix this, is there a workaround, am I missing something in the ini files, or is there a software that can bypass/force the game to use my desired keys. :thanks: in advance.
Ali Akbar

Re: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West Keyboard Remapping

Postby annoyment » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:07 pm

AFAIK progress and settings of Unreal Engine (and IIRC Unity as well) titles almost always gets saved in %APPDATA%/(oneofthefolders)/(developer)/(title) or similar structure, so try there :wink:
"Hellos, plz help with this, will help backward." -Wimpy
annoyment

The following user would like to thank annoyment for this post
Ali Akbar

Postby Ali Akbar » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:37 am

I did try that, but to no avail :(. As far as I've noticed, many UE3 games store their configuration files in the %USERPROFILE%/My Documents folder, games like Bulletstorm, Gears Of War, Outlast, Bioshock, Legendary, Alien Breed, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Tron: Evolution etc (I have played these games). While one game, Turok, stored its config files in AppData/Local/VirtualStore when not run in admin mode. :)
Porus wrote:it turns out that the keybindings are not stored in the ini files at all, to confirm this, I tried deleting all the ini files in C:\Users\#-+=\Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\MonkeyGame\Config, but the key bindings in-game were unaffected
The graphics config file (MonkeyEngine.ini) when deleted did affect the game, but only the graphics, not the keybindings, the files in that folder do affect the game, but have no effect on the keybindings. :(
Ali Akbar

Postby annoyment » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:07 am

IDK then, see if anything is stored in the registry or something - nothing else to suggest, since I don't have much expertise with UE3+ :(
"Hellos, plz help with this, will help backward." -Wimpy
annoyment

The following user would like to thank annoyment for this post
Ali Akbar

Postby Ali Akbar » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:37 am

annoyment wrote:see if anything is stored in the registry or something
Did try it, but there's nothing of use in the registry. :x :(.
Ali Akbar

Postby Delacroix » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:51 am

Why not just use gamepad, you know this is primarily a console game, right? You'll save yourself a shitton of trouble...
Delacroix

The following user would like to thank Delacroix for this post
Ali Akbar

Postby Ali Akbar » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:11 pm

I would, but I don't have one, but will consider buying it (when I have the money :lol:), but why are games ported from Consoles to PC terrible most of the times, notable examples (that I have played) are Enslaved and Dark Souls (couldn't finish this one at all due to how badly configured it was), and many others which I haven't come across/or played yet, but read about on the internet, like Halo: The Master Chief Collection which has many issues that weren't present on the consoles but have surfaced on the PC port (but still better than many other ports). Is it hard/difficult to port games from consoles to PC :?, or is it just the devs being lazy.
Ali Akbar

Postby Delacroix » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:22 pm

Control issues aren't what I consider the problem of a "terrible" port. IMO nowadays an X360 controller is an essential accessory for a gamer. OK, if there are problems with graphics, resolutions, driver detection, yeah, that's what makes a terrible port. But not keyboard controls! Even games made only on PC often play better with a gamepad in hand because of the specifics of the genres chosen.
Delacroix

The following user would like to thank Delacroix for this post
Ali Akbar

Postby Ali Akbar » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:20 pm

Delacroix wrote:OK, if there are problems with graphics, resolutions, driver detection, yeah, that's what makes a terrible port
Definitely agree with you, and these are some of the issues that plague the Halo Master Chief Collection on PC.
Delacroix wrote:Even games made only on PC often play better with a gamepad in hand because of the specifics of the genres chosen.
I'll keep that in mind :up: :)

As for Enslaved, I have to just stick with the crappy controls, and some parts of the game are difficult because of this (especially the climbing areas), but not unplayable.
Ali Akbar

Return to Games Support