Index ⇒ Console FPS Games ⇒ PSP UMD Video exclusives (for anyone that care xD)

All topics relating to non-PC first-person shooters go here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

PSP UMD Video exclusives (for anyone that care xD)

Postby annoyment » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:24 pm

Hey, why not bump this section a bit :lol:
Single week spent sniffing through various lists and shops and wherever, 'twas tiring but manageable - this is a semi-final listing (too bad I was unable to find any kind of an official SONY catalogue number master list like there is for PlayStation games, nor the fabled more complete database some user on LDDb forgot where it was) of titles released exclusively on UMD Video and unfortunately nowhere else, presented here by yours truly :mrgreen:

Info: UMD Video (& UMD Music + UMD Music Video; both with no exclusives) is a home video distribution physical media format by SONY for the PSP (exclusively; no other players ever materialized) - only NTSC 480i h264+ATRAC, usually with subpar results and extras removed, very inferior to DVD (except for having capabilities almost like BD-J, dunno of much else though), and would've loaded atrociously depending on compression levels used; in the end both the media and this format didn't perform well (technically speaking) and it all got phased out with PSP Go :| JPCSP can emulate it (but with subpar results due to emu's buggy nature), while PPSSPP disables that function having no code to work with the format (devs themselves expressed no interest in making it happen, noting it's like coding an entire player program like PowerDVD or something along those lines) :? Thankfully videos can be ripped using these utilities (though the latter needs editing batch files to more optimal FFmpeg settings), but unfortunately the interactive (PG) titles still can't be emulated well it seems :(

Stuff I haven't included:
-A dozen or two of Japan exclusive pr0n (both JAV and hentai) DX Nugase strip slots and mahjongs and yakyukens and whatnot (some may or may not have been ported to DVD or BD; didn't wanna bother either way, one'd look 'em up on Suruga-Ya if/when desired)
-And some other titles or promos that may have been missed out (some Video titles somehow exist with Game labels on case and caddy and elsewhere for no apparent reason, so that's another doozey)

Forgot why I've went down this rabbit hole to begin with, either way it's finished - :thanks: to (maybe) rockleevk for indirectly notifying elsewhere on the interwebs about this format, and to everyone else for, uh, something; either way feel thanked :wacko:
UPDATE1: OP fixed a bit + six new JP rarities added :blink:
Windows is shutting down
Last edited by annoyment on Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 8 times in total.
"Hellos, plz help with this, will help backward." -Wimpy
annoyment

Re: PSP UMD Video exclusives (for anyone that care xD)

Postby Scaryfun » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:03 am

Hehe, I know how it is to go down rabbit holes unexpectedly. Just looking up infos for games i'm adding on update, I run into interesting sites and infos that are sometimes unrelated and get distracted. But finding interesting things is fun.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Re: PSP UMD Video exclusives (for anyone that care xD)

Postby annoyment » Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:23 pm

UPDATE: UMDatabase - lotsa misses, but found two more exclusives at least (already appended above) :roll:
HIDE: ON
You need to reply to this topic before you can view the hidden message
"Hellos, plz help with this, will help backward." -Wimpy
annoyment

Return to Console FPS Games