Index ⇒ Site Suggestions ⇒ Google Search

Think you have a suggestion to make? Feel free to post it here!

Moderator: LW Moderator

Google Search

Postby rastan saga » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:30 am

Scaryfun,
I don't think this "Google Search Box" is a good idea.

I just wrote two game names, only two random game and neither of them appeared on Google. If you like, try it on the AL page, for example write these names - The Franz Kafka Video Game or Free D.C. - and see... Google search is not working very well, this should be only one alternative for the new visitors but we need back to old system again. I think that should be a powered in-site search but exactly not Google.
rastan saga

Re: Google Search

Postby BR4ZIL » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:29 pm

Gonna add my vote to this, i dunno why Google Search isnt working, but i had some trouble to find "Demise: Rise Of The Ku'Tan"

It seems Google only finds *some* games.
BR4ZIL

Postby Scaryfun » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:00 am

I'm confused, guys. I tried all those and they all work for me, I get multiple results for whole and partial matches. The old search is still available in the A-Z Index pages though.

Maybe google is blocking gamez sites like ours in your countries?
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby rastan saga » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:33 am

"The old search is still available in the A-Z Index pages though"

OK, now it is good...
rastan saga

Postby bk1965 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:02 pm

Scaryfun wrote:I'm confused, guys. I tried all those and they all work for me, I get multiple results for whole and partial matches. The old search is still available in the A-Z Index pages though.

I think the "problem" is that old search only spits back titles on legendsworld where new one searches the forum as well ?

Could that be it?
bk1965

Postby rastan saga » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:07 pm

I am still using Windows XP. Therefore, I can not update the browser for a long time. That may be the problem, I don't know ...

All I know is that the majority here are the oldest gamers. No one can be as old-fashioned like me, but I don't think most of them love that changes. The new may not always be bad, but the old is always good... at least I think so.

Personally I can assure you that I will not be pleased with ANY changes to this site :lol: So I hope Scaryfun doesn't have any other update plans :wink:
rastan saga

Postby BR4ZIL » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:50 pm

Scaryfun wrote:I'm confused, guys. I tried all those and they all work for me, I get multiple results for whole and partial matches. The old search is still available in the A-Z Index pages though.

Again, the same example with "Demise: Rise of Kui'Tan"

Here's the old search results:

And here's the Google search results:

As you can see, Google is probably giving out "more popular" results instead of actually being helpful, this means that the Halo 2's page is given priority because it contains "demise" on its description. Maybe thats your intent, but i find it to be a much worse solution than the original search engine.
BR4ZIL

Postby annoyment » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:00 pm

Google spews out country-based different results, plus they can't be any less precise (shown above), plus outright removes some hits, plus logs all it pleases (referral backdoor to PMs for a start) - in short, it's like inviting Lucifer for a cup of tea :x
"Hellos, plz help with this, will help backward." -Wimpy
annoyment

Postby Scaryfun » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:53 pm

I had it set up so google search would use site "legendsworld.net". It could be older browsers wouldn't work without the "www" so I added that now.
Try again and let me know if it works for you guys.

I would suggest using the full game title with the google search box. It's good for finding mentions of games within game descriptions of other titles, plus forum discussions of that game. That's why I think it's useful for site visitors. Also, some game series have titles on both Adventure Legends and 3D Shooter Legends...for example, Star Trek. This way visitors could find all titles at once. It's also good for finding all games by one developer.

I now changed A-Z Index to "A-Z Search Index" so visitors will know better that there is another search there too.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby rastan saga » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:07 pm

"I had it set up so google search would use site "legendsworld.net". It could be older browsers wouldn't work without the "www" so I added that now.
Try again and let me know if it works for you guys"

No, there's no difference, it does not work. But It doesn't matter, I liked that A-Z index thing and using it. At least that's faster than old searcher, thank you...
rastan saga

Postby Molitor » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:01 pm

In order to be totally efficient, the search engine should return results for individual game entries (legendsworld.net/adventure/game/*) but all these pages are not indexed. Case in point, even if I look for a quite popular game (Runaway 3: A Twist of Fate), I get the following results:
  • A forum post, mentioning the game (legendsworld.net/webroot/phpBB3...)
  • Listing for year 2009, mentioning the game (legendsworld.net/adventure/year/2009)
  • Several history pages (legendsworld.net/adventure/history/...)
  • Several other listing pages, where only the word "Runaway" is mentioned - but no actual Runaway 3
But the link that would have been the most helpful to have (legendsworld.net/adventure/game/4877) is nowhere to be seen. Sure, you do get a link to the 2009 AL listing page, but then you have to search again on that page for the right section, so it partially defeats the purpose of a search engine.

I like the idea of a consolidated search, unfortunately I think Google search doesn't know our site well enough to provide clear results yet. From what I've been testing, DuckDuckGo does a better job - it returns the exact game entry page way more often than Google does - but it's still hit-or-miss. Unless you can force a search engine to index every page on your website, the javascript index we have is what works best for now. I'm afraid I can't offer any concrete solution on the matter; if my html/php/js skills were not so basic, I would be providing you with a working multi-site search engine instead of complaining.
Molitor
3DSL Moderator

Postby BR4ZIL » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:59 am

Uhh... btw... wouldnt indexing it to Google be kinda counter-productive to what we *do* here in the site?

Just saying :?
BR4ZIL

Postby Scaryfun » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:18 pm

Yes, that's why I had some concern and I didn't add an official google search box code. Instead it just links to a generic site search url.
Although, I doubt the small number of visitors would give much notice and that we only have "demos". :wink:
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

The following user would like to thank Scaryfun for this post
gtamodder85

Postby Smiling Spectre » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:04 am

I found why google is so ineffective in it's search.

Unlike "internal" search, google indexed the page in general. It means that when search for Demise (for example), it takes in consideration the whole http://www.legendsworld.net/AdventureLegends/1995.htm - 1995th. It means a lot of parasite matches, and no relevant ones. Example:

- When I search Demise, I get a lot of false-positive and seems no relevant ones. Just because "Demise" is too prominent.

- When I search Demise: Rise Of The Ku'Tan, it's better. I have 4 results, and one of them is relevant. And if press "show all results", it became whole 5. But it's because we have _long_ and quite specific name.

- Also, as it seems, there _was_ relevant result in the first query. Invisible. Because it was the same "1995 page", and it's in the search results, only Google shows another fragment - "It features conversations with dialogue options - wrong choices may even lead to your demise."

Conclusion: it's more confusing than helping.
Smiling Spectre

Postby hfric » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:10 am

Change it back to normal Search ...
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Next

Return to Site Suggestions